• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Going off Gibbo's post about getting the 1700 to 4Ghz I have some reservations about pre ordering.

You can buy a 1700 for £319 + expensive X370 mobo (Gibbo states the B350's arent upto the job) for £250+ so £569+ and OC to try and get 4Ghz.

You can buy a 1800x for £488 + cheap B350 mobo for £80 so £568 and get 4Ghz.

With the 1700 you might end up with a lemon so not reach 4Ghz.

With the 1800x if it doesnt at least get 4Ghz advertised speed you send it back?

With the 1700 you end up with a more feature rich mobo if you need all the extra options but with the 1800x you could always upgrade the mobo down the line.

Without any real information its crazy to buy until benchmarks are out.

Associate
They all support XFR I believe.
X designates the higher boost clock and 95W TDP so they boost further with XFR. ;)

I was under the impression that the X stood for XFR.

All chips are unlocked and as such can be manually overclocked but only the X chips (XFR) will OC automatically.

Hell on your OWN store page the 1700x lists XFR as a feature the 1700 simply states it's unlocked.

Soldato
@Gibbo

Do the asrock x370 boards support ddr 4 at 3000mhz?

Can you state the temperature reached and voltage required for the 1700 @ 4.0 on the 240mm aio? It doesn't really mean anything without knowing the temps, voltage and test used right? :D

Soldato
Just double checking that ALL DDR4 is compatible with Ryzen, right?
It would seem that overclocked memory is not worth the money.

Gibbo has said that the Crosshair can justabout do 3000MHz and all others are struggling to do 2666MHz. Maybe if you gimp the cpu and use less sticks you might see the supported 3200 that iirc one mobo claims.

Sounds like a total waste of time to fork out for the extra speed when (a) you can't get it and (b) the capacity is what really matters.

Soldato
Going off Gibbo's post about getting the 1700 to 4Ghz I have some reservations about pre ordering.

You can buy a 1700 for £319 + expensive X370 mobo (Gibbo states the B350's arent upto the job) for £250+ so £569+ and OC to try and get 4Ghz.

You can buy a 1800x for £488 + cheap B350 mobo for £80 so £568 and get 4Ghz.

With the 1700 you might end up with a lemon so not reach 4Ghz.

With the 1800x if it doesnt at least get 4Ghz advertised speed you send it back?

With the 1700 you end up with a more feature rich mobo if you need all the extra options but with the 1800x you could always upgrade the mobo down the line.

Without any real information its crazy to buy until benchmarks are out.

True. Hence I am holding until next week. I want a workstation because I need it for unity engine and rendering however not that desperate to pre-order even if I would like one.

Associate
Agree ...seems stupid not to open the flood gates ...maybe there win 10 cpu driver or something is not ready for full potential

Embargo are good for the reviewers and allow for better reviews. Gives them an even playing field and time to do tests. Otherwise there'd just be a race to be first and we'd have a bunch of fluff pieces with only superficial information.

Associate
They all support XFR!!

Gibbo states that u need a high end board because these cpu are a challenge for the vrm.

We have seen down clocking on lower end models.

What happens if you buy an 1800x and put it in say the cheapest MSI B350M but it doesnt reach at least the advertised boost of 4Ghz (using a very good 280 AIO)? Can you send it back?

Associate
They all support XFR!!

Gibbo states that u need a high end board because these cpu are a challenge for the vrm.

We have seen down clocking on lower end models.

The AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3,4 GHz 8-Core Processor at a Glance:
  • 8 "Zen" cores with a low 95 Watt Thermal Design Power (TDP)
  • 16 Threads thanks to Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT)
  • Very high single- and multi-thread performance
  • 3,4 GHz Base- & 3,8 GHz Turbo Clock with Precision Boost
  • "X" Version with automatic XFR overclocking <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Unlocked multiplier for manual overclocking (unlocked CPU)
  • Large memory cache: 4 MB L2 & 16 MB L3
  • Highly efficient, non-planar 14 Nanometre FinFET transistors
  • AVX2 instruction set extensions for complex vector calculations
  • Two AES units for fast and reliable data encryption
  • Modern AM4 platform with extensive features
  • Supports energy efficient DDR4-RAM (Dual-Channel)
  • Attention: Boxed version without CPU cooler
Can you update your store page and put that on the 1700 then because the moment your own store page is heavily implying that is not the case.

EDIT------------

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/ryzen-pre-order

The AMD official website clearly states XFR is on the 1800x and the 1700x it doesn't mention it for the 1700.

EDIT 2---------

• Ryzen 7 1800X – 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.6GHz base speed, 4.0GHz boost speed, 4.1GHz maximum XFR speed, 95W TDP, $499 USD, £489.95 OCUK price.
  • Ryzen 7 1700X – 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.4GHz base speed, 3.8GHz boost speed, XFR support, 95W TDP, $399 USD, £379.99 OCUK price.
  • Ryzen 7 1700 – 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.0GHz base speed, 3.7GHz boost speed, no XFR support, 65W TDP, $329 USD, £319.99 OCUK price.
Update 22/02/17 17:10 GMT: Overclockers UK has confirmed Ryzen 7 pre-order pricing which we discuss HERE.

That ‘X’ prefix denotes support for eXtended Frequency Range (XFR) which allows a number of the CPU’s cores to operate at up to 1 multiplier bin higher if thermal and power threshold budgets are not saturated. The main difference between the 1700X and 1800X is related to operating frequency. The 1800X is essentially a cherry-picked chip that fits a more desirable voltage-frequency curve and can be expected to overclock higher than its 1700X counterpart.

Source - https://www.kitguru.net/components/...t-ryzen-7-cpus-set-to-hit-intel-pricing-hard/

With the best respect, the official AMD website, OCUK's own pre-order pages and pretty much all news outlets are reporting the opposite of what you're saying.

Last edited:
Soldato
It makes sense to see what reviews show first TBH,and one of my mates is looking at a R7 1700 for more productivity based stuff so is doing the same.

I had a 4930K @ 4.5 was doing great rendering job, however compared to the 6700K @ 4.7 was anaemic when came to gaming, buy a good margin.(same applies to the 4820K @ 4.9Ghz)
Especially in WOT which is single thread game, even the 4820K @ 4.9Ghz is trashed by the 6700K @ 4.7

So I will wait and see. If Ryzen 1800X doesn't overclock well if at all at 4.5 with good WC system (dual 480 rads for example), then I will pass and wait for Zen+.
Even if I am excited by the overall performance of the product.

Because overclocking is a a good part of what I want from a product. If cannot be done, why are we here???? Lets change the name of the forums to "stockclockers" and be done with it........
Why we spend all that money on fancy watercooling if not for the fun of overclocking and the hobby overall?
We could just go value for money, and use a console for all our gaming.........

Associate
It would seem that overclocked memory is not worth the money.

Gibbo has said that the Crosshair can justabout do 3000MHz and all others are struggling to do 2666MHz. Maybe if you gimp the cpu and use less sticks you might see the supported 3200 that iirc one mobo claims.

Sounds like a total waste of time to fork out for the extra speed when (a) you can't get it and (b) the capacity is what really matters.

I'm not sure that's strictly true.

For example, 3200 CAS 16 RAM is the same speed as 2600 CAS 13, so you could downclock the speed and tighten the timings.

Interesting ( maybe:p )fact, 3200 CAS 16 and 3000 CAS 15 are the very same chips...

OcUK Staff
Can you update your store page and put that on the 1700 then because the moment your own store page is heavily implying that is not the case.

EDIT------------

The AMD official website clearly states XFR is on the 1800x and the 1700x it doesn't mention it for the 1700.

EDIT 2---------

• Ryzen 7 1800X – 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.6GHz base speed, 4.0GHz boost speed, 4.1GHz maximum XFR speed, 95W TDP, $499 USD, £489.95 OCUK price.
  • Ryzen 7 1700X – 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.4GHz base speed, 3.8GHz boost speed, XFR support, 95W TDP, $399 USD, £379.99 OCUK price.
  • Ryzen 7 1700 – 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.0GHz base speed, 3.7GHz boost speed, no XFR support, 65W TDP, $329 USD, £319.99 OCUK price.
Update 22/02/17 17:10 GMT: Overclockers UK has confirmed Ryzen 7 pre-order pricing which we discuss HERE.

That ‘X’ prefix denotes support for eXtended Frequency Range (XFR) which allows a number of the CPU’s cores to operate at up to 1 multiplier bin higher if thermal and power threshold budgets are not saturated. The main difference between the 1700X and 1800X is related to operating frequency. The 1800X is essentially a cherry-picked chip that fits a more desirable voltage-frequency curve and can be expected to overclock higher than its 1700X counterpart.

Source - https://www.kitguru.net/components/...t-ryzen-7-cpus-set-to-hit-intel-pricing-hard/

With the best respect, the official AMD website, OCUK's own pre-order pages and pretty much all news outlets are reporting the opposite of what you're saying.

Will test another 1700 but they so have XFR, it seems confusion from AMD!

The X means higher boost clock and thermal TDP to allow higher boost in the XFR mode. But they all have XFR it just more limited on 1700 due to it being 65W.

Associate

The X means higher boost clock and thermal TDP to allow higher boost in the XFR mode. But they all have XFR it just more limited on 1700 due to it being 65W.

I appreciate this.

I'm not trying to be funny about anything but for me £800 is a lot of money to part with and I just want to know what I'm getting for my dolla!

If you could also check the TDP whether you can manually alter it on the 1700 or if it's restricted to 65w if it is, and only the 1700x and 1800x are 95w then it will pretty much clear up the confusion for me.

Basically I'm under the impression that I could buy a 1700 and turn it manually into the 1800x by removing the TDP limit and upping clocks.

I have my basket ready to click buy just need to clear a few things up :)

Soldato
its a common trick for retailers to do the imaginary pricing to get people to their site.see the price when they in stock ;)

then you will see how much they really cost.

also aots is a amd game.literally their benchmark tool so throw that in the bin for a start.

So anyhow, forgot about this, are you now gonna eat your hat? Since you said that the pricing was fake to generate traffic?

Soldato
Basically I'm under the impression that I could buy a 1700 and turn it manually into the 1800x by removing the TDP limit and upping clocks.

I have my basket ready to click buy just need to clear a few things up :)

TDP is governed by the clock speeds set in the chip and the voltage to run that speed, in the most basic terms. So increasing TDP as you put it, is just upping the voltage go allow a higher frequency, also known to a lot of folk on here as Overclocking :p

Associate

I've got a 1700 ordered, I'm wondering if the 1700x is likely to overclock further and if I should swap my pre order, from the base specs there appears to be pretty much no difference if you OC both chips as the boost is only 100mhz higher on the X. Maybe a stronger mem controller also?

Associate

EDIT------------

EDIT 2---------

Back
Top Bottom