• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Might be a silly question, but how would I be able to find out about the VRM's on each board?

some like asrock posts the vrm designs on their site.
many dont.
be a good idea however to have a list of boards but I assume a x370 board will do well overall if not pushed to hard.
if you want solid over time maxed out, then asrock taichi and other similar brand boards is needed due to vrm designs.

Soldato
Might be a silly question, but how would I be able to find out about the VRM's on each board?

the top 2 boards we know atm
Asrock X370 Taichi, with a whooping 16 VRMs (12+4) providing 300W of power. (that will push very high the LN2 competition)
Asus Hero has 12 (8+4) VRMs,
MSI Titaninum has 10 if correct.

Most of the B350 are on 8 VRMs (4+4), but has shown that they do overclock well in par with their bigger siblings, especially the Tomahawk one.
But some might be low on the RAM VRMs :/

A visit to the relevant manufacturer website will resolve your queries.

Soldato
the top 2 boards we know atm
Asrock X370 Taichi, with a whooping 16 VRMs (12+4) providing 300W of power. (that will push very high the LN2 competition)
Asus Hero has 12 (8+4) VRMs,
MSI Titaninum has 10 if correct.

Most of the B350 are on 8 VRMs (4+4), but has shown that they do overclock well in par with their bigger siblings, especially the Tomahawk one.
But some might be low on the RAM VRMs :/

A visit to the relevant manufacturer website will resolve your queries.

Not only how many, but what capacity or capability, 6+4, 8+4 can be better than 12+4 depending on the quality of the components. This is often obscured, or not mentioned in reviews as it is quite a technical subject.

Soldato
Not only how many, but what capacity or capability, 6+4, 8+4 can be better than 12+4 depending on the quality of the components. This is often obscured, or not mentioned in reviews as it is quite a technical subject.

True, but we know from the technical reviews done on the Taichi and the Hero what each one is having.
The rest indeed someone should have a read.

Soldato
Few pages back you will see the twitter from MS that they know of the issues and working on them, been new platform was expected. And they are facing the same issues they had with Intel's HT years back.(their words)

Also the performance in Linux is fine on gaming, if you use 4.10 kernel or 4.9.10 patched for Ryzen support.

I would take PCPER with a handful of salt, because it the same site that said i5 3570 is faster than Ryzen on gaming........

You can't have read the article at all. It's showing that the schedular is not the issue, not debunking the OS as the culprit entirely.

Soldato
Excited much?

Got home last night, and my 1700 is sitting here, waiting to be built with. Motherboard (Gigabyte Gaming 3) and new case should be delivered on Monday. No AM4 mounting kit for my H115i though :( So stock cooler for now.

Fresh SSD installs on both my systems (I'm taking the 480GB out my current system for the Ryzen build, and got a 120GB to put in my 4770k build that will be relegated to home media server duties). Also got a 240GB SSD to go into a laptop that I'm upgrading, so overall I'll have 3 new(-ish) systems to play with.

Also, new cases for both desktop systems, so new new new...

Soldato
Excited much?

Got home last night, and my 1700 is sitting here, waiting to be built with. Motherboard (Gigabyte Gaming 3) and new case should be delivered on Monday. No AM4 mounting kit for my H115i though :( So stock cooler for now.

Fresh SSD installs on both my systems (I'm taking the 480GB out my current system for the Ryzen build, and got a 120GB to put in my 4770k build that will be relegated to home media server duties). Also got a 240GB SSD to go into a laptop that I'm upgrading, so overall I'll have 3 new(-ish) systems to play with.

I feel your pain, corsair are having supplier issues apparently. I'm still waiting for my bracket, I sent a webnote asking for an update and got ignored.

Soldato
To be honest what is really needed is a reviewer with a good clocking chip testing in various motherboards, in order to see if any of them bottleneck that CPU. If not, then it doesn't matter which board you buy, from an overclocking perspective anyway. RAM testing would need to be done too though.

Soldato
The VRMs look to be of high quality on the Taichi. At least, going by their photos.

Soldato
Microsoft say it is but Allyn Malventano knows better, that guy is such a douche.

Who knows what the reason is - it seems like loads of smaller reasons combining together. I mean if AMD had delayed the launch even three weeks,they still would have met a Q1 launch and Intel has no new launches for a few months anyway.

ATM,all the motherboard issues are not helping - this reminds me so much of the R9 290X launch TBH.

Soldato

Wait a bit more and your clean install can be Win10 "Creators Update" (aka SP3) :p

this reminds me so much of the R9 290X launch TBH.
What went wrong with it?

Soldato
Had my parts come through and just finished building. Annoyingly, the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT has a cack mount on AM4. Can quite easily twist the heatsink when everything is tightened up. Not quite sure why when it was rock solid on 1151.
Ordered that thing after reading a post of yours. Cancelled after reading a post of yours. Thanks I guess :p

Associate
Who knows what the reason is - it seems like loads of smaller reasons combining together. I mean if AMD had delayed the launch even three weeks,they still would have met a Q1 launch and Intel has no new launches for a few months anyway.

ATM,all the motherboard issues are not helping - this reminds me so much of the R9 290X launch TBH.

It's great that ryzen wasn't delayed, people who don't mind testing, tweaking etc have some fun and those who like everything more stable can wait (like they would've anyway if it was delayed).

There is nothing wrong for consumers that it was released when it was. Everyone is aware it's new, it requires updates, support from everyone around so buyers know what they are getting. You'd prefer it was released 1-2 months later? just buy it in 1-2 months when it's more stable, what's the problem? That you can see all the testing, all the bugs that wouldn't have been found otherwise? or are you worried about financial state of AMD?

Associate
Ordered that thing after reading a post of yours. Cancelled after reading a post of yours. Thanks I guess :p
Ha :p Thermalright are sending me the AM4 upgrade for free along with a couple of fans that I've paid for. I have a feeling that some of the parts weren't quite right. The AM3 holes on the backplate didn't match up with the holes on the top mounting plate for example. So I'll see if it's any better when the parts turn up.

Back
Top Bottom