• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Soldato
Up to 10% so yeah, quite good improvement.

Over the weekend posted here similar benchmark. It was testing the ram at 2400,2666,3000,3200 and between 2400-3200 was a constant 10%+
Reason is of how the Northbridge is working, at 50% of the ram speed.

And is the first time we actually get real performance from higher speed Ram. Intel & AMD tech up to now, showed diminishing returns after 2400mhz speed.

Associate
Actually not. The power delivery if very very low with mediocre quality VRMs. Is no better than the K5 except the external BLK
See their website! Even the Asrock Fatality which isn't top of the lineup is much better.

What good OC do you think the 1700 can get on the K7 with the VRMs not exceeding 80C?

Caporegime
Is Ryzen gaming on Windows 10 actually going to get any better? Judging by their community post, it seems this is as good as it gets? I don't get it.
I'm very much happy to buy Ryzen, but it's plain as day that in some games it's not performing as well as it has the potential to do so.

AMD are really trying hard to muddy this launch.

Associate
Is Ryzen gaming on Windows 10 actually going to get any better? Judging by their community post, it seems this is as good as it gets? I don't get it.
I'm very much happy to buy Ryzen, but it's plain as day that in some games it's not performing as well as it has the potential to do so.

That is one of the reasons I am waiting as to me Ryzen R7 should come very close to i7 6900k in gaming but seems very variable to how close it gets.

Soldato

Well the same update says...

For the remaining outliers, AMD again sees multiple opportunities within the codebases of specific applications to improve how this software addresses the “Zen” architecture. We have already identified some simple changes that can improve a game’s understanding of the "Zen" core/cache topology, and we intend to provide a status update to the community when they are ready.

I'm gonna go with its going to get better. That said I can't say that its current performance is poor at all either.

Caporegime
AMD's community response is they flat out see no problem pretty much.

As it stands I'm far more prepared to wait for Ryzen 2.

And the performance is far from poor, I'm not saying it is. But I'm not going to ignore the situations where it clearly doesn't perform as it should.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

AMD's community response is they flat out see no problem pretty much.

As it stands I'm far more prepared to wait for Ryzen 2.

And the performance is far from poor, I'm not saying it is. But I'm not going to ignore the situations where it clearly doesn't perform as it should.

No need to wait - you can drop a Ryzen 2 straight into to the mobo - no changing sockets/mobos every year like Intel.

It one of the main reasons I'm willing to buy into the Ryzen ecosystem.

OcUK Staff
What good OC do you think the 1700 can get on the K7 with the VRMs not exceeding 80C?
Will get this board before the end of the week to try. Asrock Taichi I tried a lot and is working great.

Those who are constantly going on about maximum cpu clocks on a certain board should also consider max memory oc too. 3.8 with 3000 or above mems faster than 4g 2400 mems in almost everything infact close to 4.05g. It's clear as day 10%.... 3.9 -3.95ghz low volts with big mems is where the intelligent oc lies.

Last edited:
Associate
All this Ryzen talk is making me want to upgrade my 2600K, still not entirely convinced however and will probably wait another few weeks before making up my mind. In the meantime, is a bundle like this a good setup to go for? Primarily going to be a gaming PC,

Total: £612.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Back
Top Bottom