***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
What is the brightness setting? You shouldn't really be using anything more than 30-40.

68. And that's reduced from OOB! It's on 40 now, I'll see if it has improved.

EDIT, dropped to 35 and it's still there. In a dark room, the whole left corner is glowing :/

Associate
Had my X34 for 2 weeks now and installed a 1080 earlier in the week, this should last me a while now, everything just looks lush. Ultrawide really transforms the experience of gaming.

Soldato
A tiny bit but nothing to get upset about.
I can't decide whether or not to RMA mine. It's going to be a massive faff taking it back and what's to say the replacement isn't worse or with dead pixels.

Unless I'm imagining it, and I don't think I am, I can see the backlight in light colours too.

Caporegime
OP
Don't put up with it if it is bothering you.... Especially not for £800/900..... This is why monitors are so crap these days for issues like this because people are just putting up with it, which is essentially giving the thumbs up for them to continue to put out monitors with awful quality. It is a fault of lazy QC. If more people had voiced these issues i.e. by returning them then the manufacturers would quickly see the return rates and how much money they were losing from this so they would do everything they could in order to improve their QC etc.

Yes it is a faff having to RMA etc. but you are entitled to do so and if ocuk give you any **** about then you use your 14 CCR right to return the product for a full refund.

Caporegime
Don't put up with it if it is bothering you.... Especially not for £800/900..... This is why monitors are so crap these days for issues like this because people are just putting up with it, which is essentially giving the thumbs up for them to continue to put out monitors with awful quality. It is a fault of lazy QC. If more people had voiced these issues i.e. by returning them then the manufacturers would quickly see the return rates and how much money they were losing from this so they would do everything they could in order to improve their QC etc.

Yes it is a faff having to RMA etc. but you are entitled to do so and if ocuk give you any **** about then you use your 14 CCR right to return the product for a full refund.
The issue is every monitor that fails QC is a significant cost to the company as, I'm sure, not a lot of it can be reused. I've said it before, people will save £300 and take a chance and return it if they're not happy rather than spend the extra £300 on better QC.

Caporegime
OP
The issue is every monitor that fails QC is a significant cost to the company as, I'm sure, not a lot of it can be reused. I've said it before, people will save £300 and take a chance and return it if they're not happy rather than spend the extra £300 on better QC.
Yup no one would spend that just for better QC but this is the problem, monitors haven't really advanced at all in terms of panel improvements, the only thing we have really improved upon over the last few years is resolution, refresh rate and g/free sync, the actual panel for IQ/colours hasn't jumped forward anywhere as much, it is still very basic/bare bones, especially compared to TVs now yet somehow, they cost considerably more money (obviously other factors have played a part in rising costs too though)

All my previous monitors purchased before this LG 29um65 were/are perfect, zero bleed, zero dead pixels, no need to go through 2/3+ monitors just to get an "acceptable" one and you also didn't see people complain as much back then about dead pixels, bleed etc. either. It is almost like manufacturers decided to drop/cut back on QC, forget about making giant leaps in panel improvements and charge a massive amount more (more so with for the "high" end monitors)

Honestly, being a monitor reviewer must be extremely boring at times as most monitors all use the same panel with hardly any real difference, only differences are generally a few features and the design.

I think the back light bleed problem that plagues pretty much every IPS monitors these days is largely down to the manufacturers trying to make slim/thin displays as well as having thinner bezels etc. as that is were back light bleed is generally coming from i.e. the chassis assembly is too tight on the panel and IPS panels seem to be more sensitive to pressure than the likes of VA and TN panels + having 32+" displays probably makes it even harder to get the panel housing "properly" fitted.

Permabanned
Been doing some Googling but cant really find much on the subject; does anyone know if there has been any news regarding the G-Sync version of the Samsung 34 Ultrawide (quantum dot) monitor. I seem to remember it was originally predicted for realease this half of 2017?

Associate
I have 2 monitors at the moment. A 27" and a 22", both at 1080p. I'm thinking of getting a 1440p ultrawide to replace them.

Has anyone replaced two monitors with an ultrawide and like it? How it is to run windows side-by-side?

Soldato
I have 2 monitors at the moment. A 27" and a 22", both at 1080p. I'm thinking of getting a 1440p ultrawide to replace them.

Has anyone replaced two monitors with an ultrawide and like it? How it is to run windows side-by-side?
WRT to split, you might find splitting them 30:70 rather than 50:50 better so the main window/forum is more centred. LG screens come with special software to allow a 3 windows snap, otherwise it's a bit fiddly. I just snap my two vertical windows, then drag them to 30:70 or so.

Associate
Been doing some Googling but cant really find much on the subject; does anyone know if there has been any news regarding the G-Sync version of the Samsung 34 Ultrawide (quantum dot) monitor. I seem to remember it was originally predicted for realease this half of 2017?

This is exactly what I came into this thread to ask.
I don't see why there wouldn't due to freesync being there.

I would instal buy a quantum dot 34 ultra wide gsync.

Associate
How much blacklight bleed is too much? As the daylight is fading, I'm sadly noticing more BLB:

https://goo.gl/photos/BTq2LgTFvwBUSFsS8

Obviously the photo exaggerates it, but it's around most of the edges, particularly the corners.

Ive sent back 3 acer panels back same as yours and yours my friend is the worst i seen im sorry to say :( would certainly rma as not sure you could get worse then that.

Back
Top Bottom