***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
OK so I have been using a DP Lead that I got from OcUK for my X34A..and the Monitor didnt seem to " settle" at all ( it was blinking on and off at random times , and flickering on screen here and there ) couldnt workout what the issue was , so I decided to use the DP Lead that came with the Monitor , and so far so good :)...but the lead is not so long ( I think its about 1m ) .

I've just bought an X34a and the supplied cable is quite short so I got a replacement 3m cable that is supposed to be able to handle 2160P@60fps but doesn't work, so it seems it quite picky with cables once you start increasing the length.

Soldato
I've just bought an X34a and the supplied cable is quite short so I got a replacement 3m cable that is supposed to be able to handle 2160P@60fps but doesn't work, so it seems it quite picky with cables once you start increasing the length.
How you liking it? I just can't bring myself to cough up £900, but I really want one. Might just say "sod it, only money" and buy ha.

I see you're in Newcastle too. Don't suppose I can try before I buy?! :D

Caporegime
OP
wow, just seen this price drop:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...tra-wide-led-zeroframe-monitor-mo-11d-ac.html

£600 - just OOS at the moment. I was looking at ths cf791 but that's a saving of £200 on that price... IPS@75Hz or SVA@100Hz - for Elder Scrolls Online (and most MMO's?) i don't think there is massive benefit to 100Hz?

Nox
That is the first version, I believe it is no longer made and has been replaced by a newer model, which ocuk no longer sells either (was priced at £750/800 iirc). According to gibbo they weren't/aren't good sellers hence the big price (first version even dropped to £560 at some points last year) drop and removal :p

Won't be noticeable unless you are able to maintain a FPS higher than 75FPS. There will be far more of a difference between IPS and VA

Soldato
Associate
I thought the XR341CK was the first version and the XR342CK was the second version? (link is to the XR342CK) So what's that been replaced with lol, it's moving so fast with things being replaced with items with near enough zero difference :(

I looked at the LG but it looks like the freesync range is smaller... :/

Soldato
I thought the XR341CK was the first version and the XR342CK was the second version? (link is to the XR342CK) So what's that been replaced with lol, it's moving so fast with things being replaced with items with near enough zero difference :(

I looked at the LG but it looks like the freesync range is smaller... :/

if you want a LG freesync with wide range you'll have to get the 2560x1080. Even the 29" is pretty limited, and still only 75hz.

XR342CK is the new version afaik

Soldato
if you want a LG freesync with wide range you'll have to get the 2560x1080. Even the 29" is pretty limited, and still only 75hz.

XR342CK is the new version afaik

I really dont see the lower freesync range of 48 as an issue. You dont want to drop that low even on sync tech to begin with as it feels horrible imho. This is from experience with both gsync and freesync btw.

Caporegime
OP
Oh maybe that is the newer version then, not 100% sure, hard to keep up with all these model numbers! :p

I just thought it was the first one as the images are exact same as what they used for the first version where as the images they used for the second version where different/better looking.

Associate
I really dont see the lower freesync range of 48 as an issue. You dont want to drop that low even on sync tech to begin with as it feels horrible imho. This is from experience with both gsync and freesync btw.

just found a post (not review) saying it's 48-75 on the XR342CK (LG 34UC88 is 55-75). It's only the older one that goes lower.

and the 34uc88 is OOS on overclockers too :( maybe i should just come back to this hunt in about a month!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

Custom Resoultion Util AFAIK. Basically creating custom res/refresh etc.

Personally I'd rather get a monitor without having to do EDID/driver hacks

But you need range for LFC though.

Also at native I most likely would be low figures. And if I run at lower than native, then I'm going to be higher than 75fps..

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
ACER or ASUS for UWQHD? (The only 2 with gsync)
I'm fascinated by the reviews, ofc I'll have to look it up myself before purchase but well... I'm coming from a 1080p 144hz monitor and need the upgrade for my new build. And I have to admit that it looks more spectacular than a 4k monitor IMHO.

Caporegime
OP
PCM2 initial impressions on the samsung 34" VA screen:

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/why-shouldnt-i-get-a-samsung-c34f791/page/3/#post-42276

Unfortunately my system has died on me (to cut a long story short, I’ve been moving house and it got damaged in transit). So the review will likely be delayed. I therefore think it’s only fair to share a few impressions as I have done quite extensive testing on the monitor. Some thoughts on it so far:

– Really enjoyable monitor to use overall. Really quite similar to the ASUS MX34VQ in many respects (not a bad thing).

– Pixel responsiveness is quite similar to the ASUS and I actually find using the ‘Standard’ setting optimal. Even the ‘Faster’ setting introduces a bit of extra overshoot, but does little to really improve pixel responsiveness over ‘Standard’. The pixel overdrive is quite well tuned – similar to the ASUS using TraceFree 60. Maybe slightly weaker for some transitions, but nothing most users would notice even in a side by side comparison.

– Input lag is actually a bit higher than the ASUS (around 18ms). Most users who have tested the monitor would find this surprising. That’s because most users would not find that level of input lag bothersome, but would still feel great benefit from 100Hz coming from a 60Hz monitor. With FreeSync active the input lag supposedly reduces, although I can’t accurately measure that with my equipment.

– Colours are a bit more vibrant than on the ASUS. I found the ASUS decent in that respect anyway, but the ‘Quantum Dot’ backlight does expand the colour gamut a bit. It is a nice level of saturation, not overblown like a wide gamut model (~Adobe RGB) displaying normal sRGB content like games.

– The extra curvature compared to the ASUS is not really noticeable. Perhaps a slight bit of extra depth, but I quickly got used to it. In some ways that’s good as it feels completely natural to me now. I almost find using normal ‘flat’ monitors weird now I’m used to the 1500R curve – it’s a funny thing, your eyes happily adjust either way.

– Contrast is very similar to the ASUS, but the uniformity of my review sample was better than the ASUS review sample we had. Possibly the ‘Quantum Dot’ backlight arrangement improves this a bit, or perhaps it is just a good unit. Either way it’s impressive in that department.

– Default colour setup is excellent. On our unit it was really just a case of decreasing brightness, everything else was fine. We also reduced sharpness a bit according to preferences as we found the default of ’60’ overly sharp. It’s certainly nice to see these new SVA panels move away from the issue of looking slightly too soft as the S34E790C did.

– I didn’t actually have any particular issues with flickering on FreeSync beyond what I’ve seen on other monitors. It flickered readily between about 45 – 53Hz or 45 – 53 fps in the game (even if it didn’t, mind, I’d personally hate such low frame rates). I tested a range of titles including BF1, Hitman, Elder Scrolls Online and some others. I’ll also be testing a few more if I get my system sorted. Some titles may indeed flicker at other refresh rates or in-game frame rates, but that isn’t an issue isolated to the Samsung and is really an AMD driver issue. It’s an issue shared with other models, including the ASUS (refer to this thread).

I think that’s all that comes to mind at the moment really. It’s a nice monitor overall and I was very mcuh enjoying using it before my PC died.

Back
Top Bottom