• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
That's fair enough if I can get 2666 then so be it till hopefully a bios update .

Any ideas about the old school boot screen ?

Thanks

I've got the same motherboard, in the Boot menu in the BIOS there is an option 'Show Boot Logo' or something very similar, if you disable that it will give you the old school boot screen and show the boot codes as its loading up.

Soldato
3.9Ghz hitting 1721 on cinebench on Tomahawk. Everything set to auto other than AXMP profile 2, 3900 CPU Frequency and 1.32v plugged in.

AblZ7Wi.jpg

Looks to be performing as it should
nntctk.png
I have tighter timings than you other than that pretty much the same

Associate
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is old news already, just in case I'm posting it here as well (I originally posted this in the Asrock motherboard thread).

Interesting finding following an interesting article from Hardware.fr (http://www.hardware.fr/articles/959-5/nouvel-agesa-diminuer-latence-ram.html)

Basically the latest BIOS with the new AGESA microcode from AMD introduced a memory related option to improve RAM compatibility. This options is called "Bank Group Swap" in the Asrock bios and if you leave it on "Auto" the latest BIOS will disable it (again to improve compatibility) but it will cost you performance wise. So if like me you never had an issue running with it enable before (meaning with the previous BIOS/AGESA) you're better off enabling it manually. In my case you can see the difference in the below screenshots.

ON

OFF

Soldato
Does memory timing make huge difference in performance?

I went for 64gb night hawk from team group on a 1700 / Asus prime pro based on 8 packs tip. So far 2993 with loose times and 3.8 on the CPU without major tweaks on recent bios.

PS Proxmox with sata/GPU pass through windows 10 was a far harder task than the above, so far OCuk advice has been spot on.

Soldato
What timings have you got. That is pretty impressive MHz for 64GB!!

Latest bioses according to chew on 'overclock', say that the changes made by AMD with the same timings seem to have reduced performance in some tests.

Soldato
Yeah I had a google after I posted and it seems I'm getting slightly better or the same as some reviewers

I think its because I keep seeing R7 results and didn't think there would be a 500 point gap for two cores

Soldato
I've noticed that when using pstate overclocks the temperature readings are very hit and miss. After a reboot they can go way off I get idles report 8 degrees lol. When setting a fixed speed the temps are fine.

Soldato
Should be attainable. Key is to getting memory that is known as compatible if possible. Think 2x8GB Samsung B die dimms.

I am sorry, any ddr4 ram shall work or amd really need to re-design their stuff or make the mobo bios developers better at their jobs. Yes I know Intel still have ram issues years after on their platforms but amd dont have that luxury.
I bought 16gb ram, its compatible (not samsung b-die) but still no assurance it will work.
parts not here yet due to easter.

Caporegime
I am sorry, any ddr4 ram shall work or amd really need to re-design their stuff or make the mobo bios developers better at their jobs. Yes I know Intel still have ram issues years after on their platforms but amd dont have that luxury.
I bought 16gb ram, its compatible (not samsung b-die) but still no assurance it will work.
parts not here yet due to easter.

If you want to achieve very high frequency, 3200Mhz or higher, you'll need specific kits as things stand. This will improve over time as bios matures etc.

If you're happy with 2933 or lower then pretty much anything will work. As always, check the QVL list would be my advice.

Soldato
Just had my very first code 8 error on boot. This was whilst installing the windows creators update. I installed a newer bios yesterday so i rolled back to 0079 and tried again and i got the same thing. Upping the dram boot voltage to 1.4 has sorted it but weird as everything was working flawless for 2 weeks.....
All part of the learning curve i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom