BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
DLM does (most of the time) sort itself out, there's not a hard requirement to get it manually reset. The exception would be if it's kicked in due to a fault and in those cases a manual reset might be required.

I had my sync drop to bang-on 60Mbps a few months back for a few weeks, eventually it became unstuck when the SNR targets dropped to 3dB.

Caporegime
Are you trying to say that somebody working support for an ISP made something up to get the customer off the phone sooner? I don't believe it for a second.

Soldato
Are you trying to say that somebody working support for an ISP made something up to get the customer off the phone sooner? I don't believe it for a second.
They've said about 3 times now that uploading a lot can affect download speeds (which to a certain extent is true but is completely irrelevant to my issue), despite my continual insistance that when I run the speed tests they ask me to run, all background applications are disabled. Hopefully the engineer will talk more sense.

V F

V F

Soldato
They've said about 3 times now that uploading a lot can affect download speeds (which to a certain extent is true but is completely irrelevant to my issue), despite my continual insistance that when I run the speed tests they ask me to run, all background applications are disabled. Hopefully the engineer will talk more sense.

Heh! While I understand the tech support scripts, it is still funny that todays technology isn't multitasking.

Caporegime

I was being sarcastic :p ISP support is universally terrible.

Caporegime
A lot of the issues are down to advisors and ISP's themselves, not Openreach specifically. Booking wrong engineers, promising things that can't be done etc. It happens at Sky too.

Man of Honour
Who else fixes your lines when 99% of the time why it goes to pot.
If you look back I quoted Caged's post regarding ISP support, which stemmed from some posts up about how phoning into an ISP is generally a rubbish experience and the nonsense scripts they quote to you. You brought in Openreach, who have nothing to do with the 1st line support you get from an ISP. :confused:

ISP support is universally terrible.

V F

V F

Soldato
If you look back I quoted Caged's post regarding ISP support, which stemmed from some posts up about how phoning into an ISP is generally a rubbish experience and the nonsense scripts they quote to you. You brought in Openreach, who have nothing to do with the 1st line support you get from an ISP. :confused:

It eventually leads to Openreach because tech support has been exhausted.

Caporegime
Feel I should clarify things before this derail goes any further - (broadband) ISP support is (on the whole) terrible. There are of course ISPs that are good, but they are statistical anomalies in terms of customer numbers.

As the biggest impact on the speed of the service you receive is determined by things outside the control of the ISP (line condition and length), it is sometimes difficult to justify the added expense for something like Zen over BT, as the services will perform pretty much equally when things are working properly. A more 'premium' ISP can be of use when you run into problems that you need somebody with persistence to try and resolve. It is up to the customer whether they feel it's worth an increased monthly subscription price for this assurance.

Soldato
So after a month of waiting, I'm finally getting my services installed tomorrow. Woowho, 1Mb/s, here we come :rolleyes:

And just to rub it in, the houses further down the same street are now able to order FTTP :eek: No sign of it coming for me :(

Soldato
Tried signing up with BT earlier and get this message

'Sorry, if your package isn't shown, it may not be available to you – please choose an alternative package below.

If you've chosen a BT Infinity package but it isn't shown here, BT Infinity is not available to you'

Already have fibre so does this mean the cabinet is full and they can't switch me over?

Edit: Seems BT don't won't my custom, have been told I cannot get fibre/BT won't supply we with fibre even though I already have fibre with Plusnet :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tried signing up with BT earlier and get this message

'Sorry, if your package isn't shown, it may not be available to you – please choose an alternative package below.

If you've chosen a BT Infinity package but it isn't shown here, BT Infinity is not available to you'

Already have fibre so does this mean the cabinet is full and they can't switch me over?

Edit: Seems BT don't won't my custom, have been told I cannot get fibre/BT won't supply we with fibre even though I already have fibre with Plusnet :rolleyes:
A lot of the time when they run a check they look for an empty port on the cabinet rather than checking if you have fibre. I know when we (sky) check by telephone number we pick up the existing fibre connection. I can't speak for other providers though.

Back
Top Bottom