BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I am so sick of BT retail and Openreach! I ordered a home move on the 26th June for our Infinity and phone service. The earliest appointment I could book was the 17th of July! The new address did not have a phone line so I was told I'll have to order ADSL broadband and then upgrade again to FTTC. Really?!

The engineer turned up as expected on the 17th and installed the mastersocket indoors. He then said I could leave as all the work could then be completed outside. As I left they were tacking the phone line to outside wall. I was told the broadband/phone will be active from midnight. This has not happened. Every time I phone no one can tell me what the fault is and when it will be resolved.

Not impressed. I phoned up WELL in advance knowing the process will take ages but this is ridiculous. What's more annoying is I know there will be another long delay between upgrading from ADSL back to FTTC.

Does anyone have any email address' for anyone at BT / Openreach who will actually assist?
I got instant help via the BT forums. A mod replied with a link, I sent him my details and he rang me up. He was English as well. I joined a queue and within 2 days an Openreach engineer turned up and reset the DLM on my line. Problem sorted, back to 52Mbps from 21Mbps.
I had previously tried phoning at least 10 times, had all the spoof they try and make you do over the phone. Tried online chat, same stuff. This had been going on a month. I knew I just need the DLM to be reset but try telling them that on the phone. I also had a BT bloke come round and check the wires in the house, complete and utter waste of time he was.
And all this was caused by a **** smart hub. It kept disconnecting after I plugged it in. The DLM saw this as a fault and lowered my profile. I now have my trusty HH5 back in with no disconnects since I plugged it back in except one the other day when the firmware updated for the first time in ages :)

Good luck

Man of Honour
You don't need an engineer visit for a DLM reset. Well, I don't think so anyway, I was certain an ISP can request it and OR do it. In any case, I get my mate to do one for me if I need it.

Associate
@ChrisD. I tried for over a month to try and get it reset via phone calls and online chats. I put the phone down so many times on staff telling me to turn my router off and on again. They were like robots with copy and paste.
When the BT guy turned up at my door step with blue shoe protectors and an ipad I knew I was going to rage and I did lol. They are all programmed to say the same thing.
I don't know if they can do it remotely but they certainly didn't act like they knew how to if they did.
In future I will go via the forums for support. This is the 2nd time in 5 years I have ever needed help regarding my line so on BT's part bloody amazing service, shame their support (via phone and web chat) are useless when you actually need them.

Soldato
My understanding is that a DLM (VDSL) reset requires an engineer visit to the street cabinet, but not to the end user premises.

It makes no sense to me why this would be necessary, but it would explain why getting a reset is such a problem.

Caporegime
I've heard a couple of different stories. The most common one is that an engineer visit is required, known as a FTTC3 and they can request a reset from the DCoE. That's the Digital Centre of Excellence, basically the engineer support line. The other is that an Openreach engineer can do it by texting a specific number with the OGEA reference. That's the unique reference for your fibre connection regardless of who your supplier is.

Soldato
It is hard to believe that they haven't got sufficient remote management of the FTTC cabinets to enable simple DLM resets.

VDSL DLM getting its knickers in a twist is common enough. A reset should be something that the ISP can trigger on demand.

Soldato
Engineers can request a DLM reset from your house. They just contact their office and request it.

Apparently they are only allowed to request it if their is a fault on your line...

Soldato
I joined BT about a month ago and went with Infinity 1, didn't seem worth the extra for Infinity 2, but pretty impressed with the speeds I'm getting....

6475857604.png

I initially thought maybe they left it uncapped during the training period, but still getting well over 52Mb, does this happen often or should I just consider myself very lucky?

Associate
I joined BT about a month ago and went with Infinity 1, didn't seem worth the extra for Infinity 2, but pretty impressed with the speeds I'm getting....

I recently got offered infinity 2 for another 50p /month, which I took; it's a bit of a pain when you have the BT tv box recording something and you lose 30mbit on infinity 1!

V F

V F

Soldato
I've heard a couple of different stories. The most common one is that an engineer visit is required, known as a FTTC3 and they can request a reset from the DCoE. That's the Digital Centre of Excellence, basically the engineer support line. The other is that an Openreach engineer can do it by texting a specific number with the OGEA reference. That's the unique reference for your fibre connection regardless of who your supplier is.

I could not believe what I read googling this. Sounds like a complete wind up.

Soldato
I recently got offered infinity 2 for another 50p /month, which I took; it's a bit of a pain when you have the BT tv box recording something and you lose 30mbit on infinity 1!

Very nice. Its a shame they price it so much higher normally, I would have been willing to pay a bit extra but not what they wanted, although obviously I'm glad I didn't anyway.

Associate
He reset the DLM from a machine he had plugged into my master socket. He even let my 4 year old daughter press the buttons as she was watching with a lot of interest. Fantastic chap :)

Soldato
I got instant help via the BT forums. A mod replied with a link, I sent him my details and he rang me up. He was English as well. I joined a queue and within 2 days an Openreach engineer turned up and reset the DLM on my line. Problem sorted, back to 52Mbps from 21Mbps. Good luck

Thanks! I've started a thread :)

Soldato
Engineers can request a DLM reset from your house. They just contact their office and request it.

Apparently they are only allowed to request it if their is a fault on your line...
I hope they do that on my line. We had a period of two weeks last year where we got insane packet loss and terrible speeds (<2 Mb/s), primarily in the evenings. They fixed it but since then we've had a few random evenings here and there where it's happened again. The cummulative effect of this is that our IP Profile is now ~66 Mb/s whereas when I first moved in a year ago it happily synced at ~75 Mb/s. Got an engineer coming out next week because all they can offer me otherwise as an explanation is "you're uploading too much". >_>

Back
Top Bottom