Road Cycling

Soldato
Just chucked this climb into a route for tomorrow.
uieRvr0.png

http://veloviewer.com/segment/825126 Touches near 30%. Looks short but think I might get a punch from mates! We couldn't possibly just ride by it...
Just lead them out to it, comment how nice it is through the trees and then when stopping at the junction comment "Oooh, I didn't know that one was there! *puff* Fun!".

@SoliD rode it back in Feb, 3 minutes @280W. Looks quite tough with several 20%+ ramps and a slight plateau in the middle which doesn't actually get to 0%.

It might be interesting to observe how many of them consider you still a mate afterwards! ;)

Soldato
Just lead them out to it, comment how nice it is through the trees and then when stopping at the junction comment "Oooh, I didn't know that one was there! *puff* Fun!".

I have been guilty of that before. However I did send them the Veloviewer profile this time :D

Soldato

@SoliD rode it back in Feb, 3 minutes @280W. Looks quite tough with several 20%+ ramps and a slight plateau in the middle which doesn't actually get to 0%.

It might be interesting to observe how many of them consider you still a mate afterwards! ;)

Ha I love the way you've found me riding it... Tbh wasn't too bad just sat and kept moving. Occasionally out the saddle to keep momentum going. But I do remember it...

Soldato
Ahh I'd have been super keen if it was Sunday! I'm rock climbing tomorrow.

We should ride at some point though.

Definitely! I might be out Sunday too as the weather is looking decent for once this weekend... though probably not another century!

Enjoy the rock climbing. I used to be pretty into that back at uni but appear to have swapped climbing/hiking for cycling in recent years.

Soldato
Got sent a saddle kit from the place i got the bike from:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/363641/products/scott-saddle-bag-kit-syncros-29-inch.aspx

It got me thinking that if i got a blow out, then yes i could change the tube, but how do you re-inflate? As a newbie the routes i take a mistly country roads with no garages.

So, sir pressure cans? Hand pump - how do you deal with this?

I carry two Co2 canisters, but top tip if you get some is to try it out several times to learn how to use it properly. I didn't bother and the first time I used them I wasted two canisters, gave myself frost bite with it and still had a flat tyre :o

Soldato
A good minipump will easily get you up to a decent riding pressure. I've got a lezyne one that's ace. Just make sure you buy a high pressure one for road bikes not a high volume one for MTBs

Man of Honour
OP
Personally I prefer to carry a decent sized pump (Morph Mountain in my case). However, I do (or did :() a lot of long distance and multi-day riding. I found mini-pumps too irritating.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have a lezyne hp one which has been used in anger several times. It's pretty good. I've got a lezyne hv one on my cx bike but I've not had cause to use that, and I've got a bontrager combo co2/pump which has also gone unused.

I like the little hose on the lezyne ones, saves having to try to pump with everything in a rigid position.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd definitely be looking at a frame-fit pump if I was doing audax distances

Equally, mini-pumps are fine for the purposes of just getting you home and such :)

I have a lezyne hp one which has been used in anger several times. It's pretty good. I've got a lezyne hv one on my cx bike but I've not had cause to use that, and I've got a bontrager combo co2/pump which has also gone unused.

I like the little hose on the lezyne ones, saves having to try to pump with everything in a rigid position.

Having a hose on the pump makes them massively easier to use. If I were to go mini-pump again this would be a prerequisite.

Soldato
Invest in a decent Co2 valve and it will pay dividends.

Another :mad: puncture today, least it was 13 degrees rather than 5.... 3rd time the POS Lifeline valve has let me down since they changed the design to regulate flow rather than just be push to release. Nasty bit of flint did some serious damage to both tyre & tube just after a descent fortunately. Have already ordered a replacement but it hadn't arrived and what are the odds... mini-pump to the rescue again, both Co2 jaffed. (first was claimed by the Lifeline valve and the second as my valve core froze itself open with a club members Co2 valve :p:o

Bumped into @Bear on my leg over to the club ride :cool: :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom