The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
Declare a whitewash and go home now. None of them should play for England again
Seems a little harsh on Malan who has done exceptionally well this test while those around him collapsed in a heap! Bairstow I think still has a future and root needs to be relieved of the captaincy as it is messing with his batting and he wasn't ready for it. Moen needs to find his mojo again both with bat and ball he seems to be really flat this series when he is usually anything but! The main issue is we just don't play in these conditions our bowlers as suited to English wickets and the moving ball not sure what the batsmens excuses are the Ausie attack just seem to terrify them! Sadly it looks like Cook has lost that desire to play, will be such a shame to see him go he's been a great player for England and replacing him will take some doing!

Caporegime
* Root's captaincy is defensive and timid
* Cook fails repeatedly
* England's bowling attack is superior under lights, but continues to suffer from a lack of pace
* Malan and Bairstow can hold their heads up high

* Smith's captaincy is aggressive: he seizes initiative, takes risks, and uses bold fielding positions
* England doesn't seem to have a solid answer for Smith's batting
* Mitch Marsh vindicated the selectors, against expectations
* Our openers are inconsistent, but the middle order is reliable enough to bail us out
* Our pacemen have given us a crucial edge in every game
* Lyon is easily one of the best spinners in the world right now

Soldato
Root's Test average as captain: 50,27. His Test career average is 52.37.

Massively flattered by this summers test series one against a west indies side that should be in the second tier, he's not looked or sounded like himself in Australia he looks and sounds jaded burdening our best bates man with the captaincy always struck me as odd but it seems to be the cricket standard!

Soldato
* Root's captaincy is defensive and timid
* Cook fails repeatedly
* England's bowling attack is superior under lights, but continues to suffer from a lack of pace
* Malan and Bairstow can hold their heads up high

* Smith's captaincy is aggressive: he seizes initiative, takes risks, and uses bold fielding positions
* England doesn't seem to have a solid answer for Smith's batting
* Mitch Marsh vindicated the selectors, against expectations
* Our openers are inconsistent, but the middle order is reliable enough to bail us out
* Our pacemen have given us a crucial edge in every game
* Lyon is easily one of the best spinners in the world right now

Thats a pretty decent summation although I think Overton has done pretty well for his first tour, I don't think anyone has an answer to Smiths batting on wickets where the ball isn't moving he has an annoying way of cashing in massively when the conditions suit!

Soldato
You're right, I should give Overton a lot more credit.

Smith is a freak; he's like Warner on steroids, but with the added advantage of a human brain.
Smith is playing like Cook was back in the 11/12 series, a batsman you know your going to struggle to get out. When someone is in that blue patch of form there's not a lot the other side can do other then get their fielding positions right and bowl top of off stump mixed in with the odd yorker.

Back
Top Bottom