**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
So I think I'm about ready to RMA my 2XL. I mentioned over the weekend about the slow/non charging and I've now also noticed that the speakers are suffering from some distortion while playing music - and not even at 100% volume, on some music I notice it at around 50 or 60%. I did notice the distortion before but I'm sure it's got worse or maybe I'm just noticing it more as I'm looking for things to convince myself to get the RMA...

Mine took 2 hours to charge from 50% to 100% on the weekend which I was not impressed with. Also, I get speaker distortion at around 60% on various YouTube videos. Seems to come from the bottom/right side speaker. Shame because without distortion the sound is great for a phone.

Soldato
Mine took 2 hours to charge from 50% to 100% on the weekend which I was not impressed with. Also, I get speaker distortion at around 60% on various YouTube videos. Seems to come from the bottom/right side speaker. Shame because without distortion the sound is great for a phone.
Are you tempted to send yours back or you sticking with it?

Soldato
Are you tempted to send yours back or you sticking with it?

Dunno really. It's a weird situation - everything vital about the phone works fine (and the camera and battery life are both fantastic). And these issues I'm experiencing are all fairly well documented problems, so I'm not sure what they'd say if I requested a replacement. I might give it a go, I'll have to think about it.

Soldato
Well i have just received my Spigen Think Fit for my 2 XL. Fits really well and wanted the stealth magnetic plate for my car mount. Bargain at a Tenner.

I love the phone but i am having issues with the fingerprint reader like loads more are. Keep getting the "Fingerprint cannot be processed" message.

Associate
Does anybody ever get this issue? i seem to get it every couple of days, worried its a hardware issue?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tmyIo7VWQxEo4QyiK-oOoKYLbGp9ukIr/view

I've not had that, but my feeling is it's a software glitch. Maybe factory reset it (if you can be bothered to set up your phone once more) and see if that resolves, before slowly adding apps back on. If it still does it after that, you'd probably have grounds to request a replacement.

Soldato
So I have an update on the charging fiasco. I picked up on a couple of other forums that apparently the new Pixels don't Rapid Charge when the screen is on - seemingly a feature to avoid overheating as bright screen + rapidly charging battery = high temps. So today I tested this and there does seem to be some truth. With Accubattery my two charging cycles today were: 36-80%(44%) in 47 minutes and then 44-67%(23%) in 24 minutes - this was with 3 different chargers, the standard 2XL, my MBP and the PowerAdd 30W. On the PowerAdd shout out to AndyCr15 for the recommendation (saw your Amazon review too) it's a great little charger and it's supplying more than ample power to my MacBook right now as well.
Furthermore, I also saw some people mention that certain gang leads can affect the charging although I have yet to test this theory out however I will say that I have always noticed the charging slower in my home office and I have a beefy surge protected gang lead here as that's supplying my PC so as wild as it seems there may be some merit to it, I will test this out tomorrow.

Soldato
I just charge overnight so it's not been a problem for me but it is worrying that something as simple as charging the battery can create issues... Google really need to up their hardware game (and we've been saying this for years!)

Soldato
I doubt the extension lead would cause an issue, there shouldn't be a situation where it can't supply the required current. I do however concur that rapid charging doesn't work when the screen on, which makes perfect sense.

Soldato
I doubt the extension lead would cause an issue, there shouldn't be a situation where it can't supply the required current. I do however concur that rapid charging doesn't work when the screen on, which makes perfect sense.
I doubt this as well but I do wonder is there some sort of witch craft happening involving the surge protector that interferes (for want of a better word) with the rapid charging handshake/signal?

Back
Top Bottom