Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2018, Melbourne - Race 1/21

Rate the 2018 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
So Mclarens chassis isn’t as amazing as they made out? 2 seconds down on RB with the same engine!?! I kind of had a mild hope they’d be further up there this year. Then again I also thought TR would be a lot higher than they are.. :(

Don't fret that have upgrades coming! They're totally going to make all the difference.

The formula needs to free up development again; otherwise the advantages one team gets near the start of a rule change just keep getting rolled forward. Mercedes have the best engine and other suppliers are being prevented from making the modifications needed to catch them up. It's stupid.

Caporegime
So I just flicked on C4 to see what the season is likely to bring and I'm absolutely horrified by the roll bar, at first I thought it was just something from pre-season testing something dangerous with the car. How does putting a vertical bar and hindering driver vision improve safety? would it have saved Massa from getting hit by debris? if they're that obsessed with making F1 safer than the average person going to the shop in their Clio then they might as well just make the cockpit closed.

Soldato
Awesome lap from Hamilton. Doubt he'll be that fast in the race, but clearly Mercedes have the upper hand just when Ferrari and Red Bull were starting to look as though they could give them a fight.

I can't believe they're taking turns 1 and 2 in 5th gear and with the speed they carry. That's not far off what turns 11 and 12 used to be like!

We knew McLaren were in trouble from that comedy pit-stop in testing. Before testing I thought they'd be closer to Red Bull, perhaps 2 or 3 tenths back, but it's early yet. Doesn't look good though. They looked quicker than Renault most of this weekend... except when it mattered; they'll be trading places throughout the season no doubt.

Kimi looks in the best form he's been in for years and has done all weekend.

Williams are hopeless. Poor car and with that driver pairing there's little hope of them pulling off any magic results. They're going to struggle for many points at all this year, and by mid-season I wouldn't be surprised to see Leclerc consistently getting the better of them them. It's the best start to a season for Honda so far, but they and Toro Rosso are clearly poorer than they showed in testing and they too look as though they'll struggle.

Caporegime
The formula needs to free up development again; otherwise the advantages one team gets near the start of a rule change just keep getting rolled forward. Mercedes have the best engine and other suppliers are being prevented from making the modifications needed to catch them up. It's stupid.

This is crucial there have been 3 major rule changes in the past 20 years. 98, 09 and 2014. Mclaren would have dominated the 98 rule change but due to the freeness in testing Ferrari were able to catch up. 09 You had brawn and Redbull. Redbull dominated and the other teams only got close due to the Vettel/Webber rivalry. This era has been even worse.

F1 is in a bit of a pickle. Restrict spending/testing and you will get one team and boring racing. Loosen it up a bit and a lot of teams will be unable to run.

Caporegime
You have a very simplistic view of F1 if you think the installation of the V8s were in any way similar to that of the V6Ts.

Regardless McLaren knew a lot more in advance then what Brawn did. Turbos are not some super complicated beast either. Packaging will not be particularly different to what they had with Honda. Some negatives but also other positives.

Soldato
I got the impression alonso rolled back to the pits to get a choice of tyres knowing exactly where hed be starting.. If the mclaren is kind it could be an advantageous strategy

bru

bru

Soldato
Well wasn't that fun, Bottas binned it a good un and Hamilton pulled out a really good lap to finish off top of the tree.

I think after seeing the times tumble for the whole session, I've come to the conclusion that it is the transparency of the timing list that is the problem, if they were on a darker background they would be much easier to read, just like the names of the drivers.

Soldato
Regardless McLaren knew a lot more in advance then what Brawn did. Turbos are not some super complicated beast either. Packaging will not be particularly different to what they had with Honda. Some negatives but also other positives.

The packaging is very different, the turbos are in different positions for a start. The Honda has the compressor at the front of the engine, and the Renault has the entire turbo behind the engine.

Man of Honour
Well wasn't that fun, Bottas binned it a good un and Hamilton pulled out a really good lap to finish off top of the tree.

I think after seeing the times tumble for the whole session, I've come to the conclusion that it is the transparency of the timing list that is the problem, if they were on a darker background they would be much easier to read, just like the names of the drivers.

The graphics are one of the few things I actually don't mind about the new season.

Caporegime
The packaging is very different, the turbos are in different positions for a start. The Honda has the compressor at the front of the engine, and the Renault has the entire turbo behind the engine.

Which is still small change. It gets blown out of proportion just as an excuse. Mclaren have had 6 months to get it right. Each configuration offers positives and negatives.

Soldato
not sure what all the fuss is over the graphics, they are fine for me. can see everything fine and they only take up as much screen as previous really.

Back
Top Bottom