Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80 Whilst you're their can you ask them if the psu plug is generic or has it got some fancy design which means we cant use aftermarket PSUs? I'd like to be able to charge the laptop whilst travelling by air (see my previous post, but i'm talking commercial airliners with 75 - 90Watt supply limits on their on board power outlets) The one supplied with the laptop is too thirsty at 230w to work whilst onboard.

Sure it won't be enough to power the machine in demanding usage permanently but it should charge whilst off/idle or at least maintain or extend whatever battery is remaining at the time of boarding.
I want to know this also , thanks

Hi both,

Reply from R&D is that lower rated AC Adaptor shouldn't cause damage, but certainly could cause a problem if notebook in use, as the system could "flick" between battery and AC because the power provided, wont meet its expectation. Should be OK to perform charging when system closed down.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
AC Adapter. But I don't sped a lot of time on battery, so it's possible it would also happen if I was.

The error is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA in nvlddmkm.sys.

Hi @YeWhoEnter - we haven't seen this error before, on or off AC Adapter.

It is the "AERO15X v8-CF2" 144Hz model you have, correct?

Could we please ask for you to post (or send on Trust message) - two screens shots:

1 - Screenshot showing your "Smart Update"

2 - Screenshot from "winver.exe"

If it is still doing this after you perform the updates, checks and anything you "want" to do - we would like to offer replacement new unit to you - however, the unit is in strong demand, with no stock currently available in UK, so we would need to do something for you outside of normal procedure - so please update us with your feedback, we can work with you to replace as quickly as possible, directly from HQ. Our R&D would like to have your unit in their hands for analysis if problem is still there.

You can send "Trust" message directly through forums, and then we can intro you to the R&D contact who would handle your case.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Last edited:
Associate
we haven't seen this error before

Have you had many people upgrade to Windows Pro and then switch virtualisation on? Cause I hadn't seen this error until I did those two things. :)

It is the "AERO15X v8-CF2" 144Hz model you have, correct?

Correct.

Could we please ask for you to post (or send on Trust message) - two screens shots:

1 - Screenshot showing your "Smart Update"

2 - Screenshot from "winver.exe"

I don't think we can post images here. I'll send you that Trust Message and we'll work from there.

Thanks for the offer though.

Soldato
Hi both,

Reply from R&D is that lower rated AC Adaptor should cause damage, but certainly could cause a problem if notebook in use, as the system could "flick" between battery and AC because the power provided, wont meet its expectation. Should be OK to perform charging when system closed down.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Thanks but what is meant by 'should cause damage'....is the could cause damage or shouldn't cause damage?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi both,

Reply from R&D is that lower rated AC Adaptor should cause damage, but certainly could cause a problem if notebook in use, as the system could "flick" between battery and AC because the power provided, wont meet its expectation. Should be OK to perform charging when system closed down.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team
@Atom80

Thanks for asking, i guess you mean "shouldn't cause damage" not "should cause damage! Re the system flicking in and out of battery/ac, is that not the same in effect as just unplugging laptop to relocate and then reconnecting to the mains supply as you do in normal usage anyway? (albeit potentially a little more frequently!)

Also whats the system power draw when operating with integrated graphics instead of the 1070q? I can't imagine it will be any more than 90w for most desktop applications, the chip is 45w max then its only the motherboard, memory, m.2 ssd, usb mouse device and display on top of that. Any idea from your technical side on how much power the display panel uses/needs in typical desktop apps and movie playback?

Just been on a another flight and again, the supplied psu wont even charge the laptop when it's off, which is disappointing. I have read elsewhere that plugging and unplugging the psu from the onboard power outlet multiple times can be enough to negate the initial power spike to the psu as it charges the capacitors within, but sadly this wasn't enough to spark the Power adapter into life. Again, to people reading this, none of this is a big issue really as if the machine is charged before a flight and you have the minimum power usage profile selected with forced integrated graphics, the battery lasts 7+hrs easily (I even saw 11hrs something at one point when I mouseovered the battery life icon! though I doubt I would have actually achieved that had the flight been that long). I fly/travel a lot and have yet to have the aero15xv8 shutdown due to running out of battery and that speaks volumes!

I love the fact that Gigabyte chose to go with optimus graphics switching for extended battery life over a g-sync panel, thank you!! I have a g-sync 27" display at home when I have a mains supply so not having g-sync on a laptop makes perfect sense and I really struggle with why its taken so long for performance laptop manufacturers to see the light in this regard!!

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Have you had many people upgrade to Windows Pro and then switch virtualisation on? Cause I hadn't seen this error until I did those two things. :)

Correct.

I don't think we can post images here. I'll send you that Trust Message and we'll work from there.

Thanks for the offer though.

Hi @YeWhoEnter - received, replied, received screenshot - Rex looking at it now. Actually he notice straight away that the nVidia driver needs to be changed - You will receive mail from him soon.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Seems that my blue-screens were caused by a dodgy release of the nVidia drivers, which I picked up through GeForce Experience. Having updated to the latest version, I've seen no problems in 4 days (touch wood). The moral of this story is to let Smart Update manage your drivers.

Thanks to the Gigabyte team for helping me find this, without the hassle of replacements or support centres. I've never been more pleased by a laptop purchase. Good support goes at least as far as good kit.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Seems that my blue-screens were caused by a dodgy release of the nVidia drivers, which I picked up through GeForce Experience. Having updated to the latest version, I've seen no problems in 4 days (touch wood). The moral of this story is to let Smart Update manage your drivers.

Thanks to the Gigabyte team for helping me find this, without the hassle of replacements or support centres. I've never been more pleased by a laptop purchase. Good support goes at least as far as good kit.

Hi @YeWhoEnter - thanks for the update, and happy that the solution provided by R&D has cured - they were confident it would, and identified within a nano second of looking at your screen shot.

Especially appreciate you posting here to share the "positive" experience and solution.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
For anyone interested in using this laptop for linux, I've now had mine for a couple of weeks and taken it on its first trip, and so can now give some detailed feedback. For context, I am a software engineer and work primarily in linux, only using windows for games that don't have a linux port.

My preferred distro is fedora, as such some of the things I mention may be fedora specific, but most things should apply to any distro that runs recent kernels.

Out of the box, pretty much everything works perfectly on fedora. There was a slight hiccup with my first update, as it caused nouveau (the open source nvidia drivers) to hang the system on boot. This could be easily resolved by disabling nouveau (this can be done by adding 'rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau' to the kernel command line). Performance is excellent, as you'd expect. Even gaming works great once you install nvidia drivers and steam. Battery life was OK, but nothing amazing out of the box - probably looking at 4 hours or so assuming a light task.

As usual with linux, it was pretty easy to tweak a few settings to significantly improve battery life. The easiest by far is to install powertop and then run its autotune - this can be done via a root terminal on fedora by running:

dnf install powertop
powertop --auto-tune

You can make this apply on boot automatically by running this as root:

systemctl enable powertop

Powertop will enable various power saving features, which also has the effect of allowing the cpu package to drop all the way to pc7 - this makes a big difference to idle power comsumption, and results in a battery life pretty much equivalent to the best you can get in windows - 7-10 hours.

I didn't stop here however - with some more complex tweaking then you can get even more idle power reduction. I won't give step by steps here, but will describe what I did. First of all, you want to enable the power saving features that powertop's autotune cannot do - these are best set via kernel command line parameters. The ones I ended up with were:

rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau pcie_aspm.policy=powersupersave i915.enable_guc=1 i915.enable_fbc=1 iwlwifi.power_save=1 iwlwifi.d0i3_disable=0 iwlwifi.uapsd_disable=0

This allowed cpu package power consumption to drop to less than a watt! The final thing left wasting power was the nvidia GPU. While it drops to a low power mode via standard PCIE power management, it still eats a few watts. To fully shut it down, you need to install bbswitch (part of bumblebee). Note that I don't recommend trying to make a full bumblebee setup work (I tried but hit lots of snags with hanging and other issues), but instead simply manually switch between intel and nvidia graphics.

Once I did all this, my idle power consumption when running on the intel graphics card with minimum backlight brighness was an amazing 4.5 watts! At idle, I was getting a battery life of 20+ hours! (realistically the actual battery life is less unless you just want to watch an idle screen for 20 hours) This is by far the lowest idle power consumption I've ever seen out of a performance laptop.

Although it took a bit of tweaking, I am very pleased with what this laptop can do - its performance is excellent, but can also manage a great battery life if you're doing light tasks - I can pretty easily get 12 hours or so battery life out of the laptop.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
For anyone interested in using this laptop for linux, I've now had mine for a couple of weeks and taken it on its first trip, and so can now give some detailed feedback. For context, I am a software engineer and work primarily in linux, only using windows for games that don't have a linux port.

My preferred distro is fedora, as such some of the things I mention may be fedora specific, but most things should apply to any distro that runs recent kernels.

Out of the box, pretty much everything works perfectly on fedora. There was a slight hiccup with my first update, as it caused nouveau (the open source nvidia drivers) to hang the system on boot. This could be easily resolved by disabling nouveau (this can be done by adding 'rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau' to the kernel command line). Performance is excellent, as you'd expect. Even gaming works great once you install nvidia drivers and steam. Battery life was OK, but nothing amazing out of the box - probably looking at 4 hours or so assuming a light task.

As usual with linux, it was pretty easy to tweak a few settings to significantly improve battery life. The easiest by far is to install powertop and then run its autotune - this can be done via a root terminal on fedora by running:

dnf install powertop
powertop --auto-tune

Powertop will enable various power saving features, which also has the effect of allowing the cpu package to drop all the way to pc7 - this makes a big difference to idle power comsumption, and results in a battery life pretty much equivalent to the best you can get in windows - 7-10 hours.

I didn't stop here however - with some more complex tweaking then you can get even more idle power reduction. I won't give step by steps here, but will describe what I did. First of all, you want to enable the power saving features that powertop's autotune cannot do - these are best set via kernel command line parameters. The ones I ended up with were:

rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau pcie_aspm.policy=powersupersave i915.enable_guc=1 i915.enable_fbc=1 iwlwifi.power_save=1 iwlwifi.d0i3_disable=0 iwlwifi.uapsd_disable=0

This allowed cpu package power consumption to drop to less than a watt! The final thing left wasting power was the nvidia GPU. While it drops to a low power mode via standard PCIE power management, it still eats a few watts. To fully shut it down, you need to install bbswitch (part of bumblebee). Note that I don't recommend trying to make a full bumblebee setup work (I tried but hit lots of snags with hanging and other issues), but instead simply manually switch between intel and nvidia graphics.

Once I did all this, my idle power consumption when running on the intel graphics card with minimum backlight brighness was an amazing 4.5 watts! At idle, I was getting a battery life of 20+ hours! (realistically the actual battery life is less unless you just want to watch an idle screen for 20 hours) This is by far the lowest idle power consumption I've ever seen out of a performance laptop.

Although it took a bit of tweaking, I am very pleased with what this laptop can do - its performance is excellent, but can also manage a great battery life if you're doing light tasks - I can pretty easily get 12 hours or so battery life out of the laptop.

Hi @Bron - Glad you are enjoying your product and its meeting your expectations.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the forum community, its appreciated.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate

dnf install powertop
powertop --auto-tune

it works

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Any idea when this will be in stock ? GIGABYTE AERO 15X V8-CF2 NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, 15.6" FHD 144HZ, INTEL I7-8750H GAMING LAPTOP

Hi @easyrider

Coming very soon.....

We would suggest placing pre-order to stand best chance of getting one allocated. We speak with each customer purchasing department, and based on pre-orders, split our shipment accordingly.

Unfortunately everyone is currently sold out, and awaiting delivery. We expect some to arrive within the next 2 weeks,

Hope that is some sort of "help"....

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi All

This is the technical marketing Baloney from GIGABYTE/AORUS and from now on I will work with Atom80 to deliver more responsive reply & product update. Look forward to talk with you guys more about our our product soon!

Associate
The Aero 15X is one of the Laptops I am considering.

Does this laptop come with the soft rubber lip round the edges of the display like the macbook pro retina or its just hard plastic?

Thanks

Associate
Does this laptop come with the soft rubber lip round the edges of the display like the macbook pro retina or its just hard plastic?

Similar, soft rubber lip. But that's ALL there is around the screen. There's none of the wasted black space that you get around the screen on the Retina.

(Disclaimer: Comparison made from photos, I've never handled a Macbook Pro Retina.)

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi All

This is the technical marketing Baloney from GIGABYTE/AORUS and from now on I will work with Atom80 to deliver more responsive reply & product update. Look forward to talk with you guys more about our our product soon!

Hey @baloney!

Sorry I didn't get round to writing the official introduction post for you.... I will create a new thread to announce your arrival to OCUK forums :)

Regards,

Atom80

Back
Top Bottom