I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Associate
After watching various videos on YouTube when I got my Ender3 I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to buy cheaper filament.

The £15-20 saving didn't seem worth it for the trouble it might cause. Went for Rigid.Ink PLA and PrimaSelect PETG when I realised PLA wouldn't work for what I needed (Was all amazon could get to me fast enough)
Must say I had some rigid ink in black and man it was awesome to print to with but I'm not sure it was £20 better than the other stuff I use which is BQ

Soldato
Rigid ink is the only filament I’ve ever had problems with! Their temperatures were way off and the results were poor.

Since then I’ve used cheap £10/kg stuff from hobbyking and it’s been sweet as you like.

Man of Honour
Are you actually going to use that stuff? unless you've got a plan or purpose in mind for it, or printing upgrades, etc. I'd just buy one 250-1000 gram plain PLA at first until you have an idea of what you are doing with it.

Soldato
This lot ok for my Ender 3 printer,? this will be my first printer. i did however backed a kodama obsidian 3d printer last year but have lost hope and probably will never arrive.

Drop the ABS unless you want to be frustrated or have an enclosure for your Ender

Just 1 reel of PLA and 1 reel of PetG is enough to get started, you get a lot of prints out 1kg/750g reels :)

Man of Honour
Just 1 reel of PLA and 1 reel of PetG is enough to get started

Mainly IMO PETG is useful if you need a bit better durability to stresses and/or temperature changes like mentioned in a recent post automotive use (although ABS is probably better there if harder to work with) - I wouldn't use it for run of the mill models.

PLA is fine for what most people use a 3D printer for - unless you are printing significant upgrades for the printer itself where I'd go for something a bit more robust.

Soldato
Rigid ink is the only filament I’ve ever had problems with! Their temperatures were way off and the results were poor.

Since then I’ve used cheap £10/kg stuff from hobbyking and it’s been sweet as you like.

That is the same as my experience, Rigid ink is the only filament so far that I've had problems with, wouldn't use it again.

Associate
Hi guys, is the colorfabb stuff any good?

Also can someone spec me a woodfill and glow in the dark please

ColorFabb would certainty be one of the more expensive premium filaments out there. I've used it and got a few spools of it and they do a woodfill and glow in the dark.

Associate
I would suggest trying one of the cheaper ones like BQ at £14 a kg, if you manage to get decent prints then that's good
I find it to be good with decent prints coming out.

Colourfabb is ok but as above not sure it is worth extra premium over other cheaper brands

Soldato
What are you guys storing the reels in? having a look for some sort of large airtight ziplock bags, but really not finding anything

Last edited:
Soldato
What are you guys storing the reels in? having a look for some sort of large airtight ziplock bags, but really not finding anything
These

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XTF8VSG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0771L3MZX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To keep the moisture out of what little air pockets are left

I also bought a food dehydrator because it's easier to just dry filament than make a fully airtight box with spool holders and filament feeders

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom