• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
What Uncore are you guys running? I'm currently running at [email protected] which allows me to run 48x Uncore without needing more voltage.

I ran a few tests and found a 40x uncore only drops the marks in cinebench from 1690 to 1660(average over 5 tests), and in games benchmarks it made no difference within margin of error. With it making so little difference to a gaming PC i wondered if some of you are running it lower to try and keep the core voltage down or if your all trying to max it out?

Soldato
What Uncore are you guys running? I'm currently running at [email protected] which allows me to run 48x Uncore without needing more voltage.

I ran a few tests and found a 40x uncore only drops the marks in cinebench from 1690 to 1660(average over 5 tests), and in games benchmarks it made no difference within margin of error. With it making so little difference to a gaming PC i wondered if some of you are running it lower to try and keep the core voltage down or if your all trying to max it out?

Lower the uncore better the overall system stability.
just keep the uncore within 500mhz of your core clock and you should be fine. and it makes no difference to a gamer, just benefits synthetic benchmarks .. and only really by a few points here and there.

Soldato
All my research has indicated pumping cache clocks above 4ghz seems a bit of a fools game, as I understand it ram speeds simply are not fast enough to make use of it.

Associate
Mine will do Prime95 at 5.2GHz with 1.34v and HT off. Runs at 75C using those settings and a 360mm AIO. It won't do 5.3Ghz in Prime95 no matter how much voltage I give it. Will post at 5.4Ghz but that's it.

I only turn HT on for benchmarks because it's way to hot for Prime95.

Not sure if it's my board or the IMC but I'm unable to run my DDR4 4000MHz CL19 at 4000MHz, so I run it at 3800MHz CL16.

Associate
Just ordered a delidded 8086K (couldn't be bothered waiting for the i9), sort of excited. Currently running an i3-8350K at 4.9GHz, runs pretty decent. Better overall stability than the R7-2700X I had before.

Associate
couldn't be bothered waiting like 4 days?? :confused::confused:

I think it'll be more than 4 days, and probably price will be high. Intel's 14nm shortage is likely to make the new chips difficult to get.

Last time I "waited a few days" was for the first Ryzen chips, arsed around for months waiting for the chip and board, ended up with a crap motherboard because there was nothing decent available, etc, etc, etc. Life's too short. :D

Associate
couldn't be bothered waiting like 4 days?? :confused::confused:
Isn't the Intel 9 series reveal now being estimated around the 18th or so with mobo reveal 8/9th? Ofc that doesnt mean that's when the release date will be, nor that there will be any stock given the current supply situation

I'm in the same boat, waiting for 9900k. Availability on 1st october would be nice but i wont hold my breath.

Associate
I
I'm in the same boat, waiting for 9900k. Availability on 1st october would be nice but i wont hold my breath.

If they're less than £600 and actually in people's motherboards by Christmas, I'll be very, very surprised.

To be fair, the i3 is fine for most stuff, but I play a lot of Cities:Skylines which is very CPU intensive, and the wheels fall off the 4-core machine if I try to do anything else. My old [email protected] was a beast, but the board died and I'm not pouring money in to an ancient platform that Intel has nerfed with microcode updates.

Associate
If they're less than £600 and actually in people's motherboards by Christmas, I'll be very, very surprised.

To be fair, the i3 is fine for most stuff, but I play a lot of Cities:Skylines which is very CPU intensive, and the wheels fall off the 4-core machine if I try to do anything else. My old [email protected] was a beast, but the board died and I'm not pouring money in to an ancient platform that Intel has nerfed with microcode updates.

I'm hoping the preorder price is reasonable.

Man of Honour
Unless you're doing 4K video editing, I would be surprised if anyone would actually notice any difference between an 8700k and a 9700k.

Soldato
Mine will do Prime95 at 5.2GHz with 1.34v and HT off. Runs at 75C using those settings and a 360mm AIO. It won't do 5.3Ghz in Prime95 no matter how much voltage I give it. Will post at 5.4Ghz but that's it.

I only turn HT on for benchmarks because it's way to hot for Prime95.

My temps increase slightly with HT turned off?

Associate
Well, had no problems with my pre-binned 8086K that weren't caused by my unfamiliarity with the Gigabyte BIOS. Booted up no problems straight to 5.1, but was running at 1.5v! Lots of faffing, ended up finding a video on YouTube showing 8700K overclocking on the Z370 Gaming 7, so cleared CMOS and started again. Running great now at a solid 1.38v, no droop, no heat issues (using a Kraken X62, MX-4 paste, mounted bottom of my Corsair 600Q (the upside down one)).

Just waiting on the pre-order Gigabyte 1080Ti to replace my 1070Ti Founder's Edition.

Associate
Well, had no problems with my pre-binned 8086K that weren't caused by my unfamiliarity with the Gigabyte BIOS. Booted up no problems straight to 5.1, but was running at 1.5v! Lots of faffing, ended up finding a video on YouTube showing 8700K overclocking on the Z370 Gaming 7, so cleared CMOS and started again. Running great now at a solid 1.38v, no droop, no heat issues (using a Kraken X62, MX-4 paste, mounted bottom of my Corsair 600Q (the upside down one)).

Just waiting on the pre-order Gigabyte 1080Ti to replace my 1070Ti Founder's Edition.
Is that delidded?

Pre binned, so i'm assuming it is. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom