• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Associate
The thing is, people keep thinking back to the Haswell days for voltages, and it's just wrong. The 14nm process *loves* voltage, if your temps can handle it.

I don't have a specific source on hand but I heard it from an Intel senior engineer himself, and I believe there are discussion topics on it floating around as well. These chips can take a lot and work just fine.

I agree, a lot of the voltage numbers we see now are opinion rather than fact. Or they were fact but for a different generation or class of cpu.

I would love to see intel give a definitive answer to what is the highest recommended 24/7 vcore for each generation so we can put the question to bed.

Without that info, a lot of people will tend to er on the side of safety, or fall back on whatever outdated info we do have, which is unsurprising given the cost of a replacement.

Soldato
I wouldn't run 1.52v either. It's just that people keep saying 1.4v+ is not 24/7 for the 14nm chips which is not true. I'd put 1.45v as my upper limit, if you can handle the thermals. For me though I run an ITX case so I want 5GHz at the lowest voltage I can handle.

1.27v runs at a max stress of 73c in this shoebox. Not too shabby I'd say. That was basically my stock stress loads before I delidded.

Permabanned
I wouldn't run 1.52v either. It's just that people keep saying 1.4v+ is not 24/7 for the 14nm chips which is not true. I'd put 1.45v as my upper limit, if you can handle the thermals. For me though I run an ITX case so I want 5GHz at the lowest voltage I can handle.

1.27v runs at a max stress of 73c in this shoebox. Not too shabby I'd say.

I wouldn't put anything over 1.25V. Your CPU will break down sooner or later at 1.4V and higher.

Soldato
I wouldn't put anything over 1.25V. Your CPU will break down sooner or later at 1.4V and higher.

Voltage is not what degrades CPUs. It's current that does this, and you are vastly overestimating how much current your CPU is getting, unless you are AVX stressing a massively overclocked chip constantly. Even then you'll knock off maybe a year of life for a chip that will last over a decade.

It's pure scaremongering without basis by overclockers - how many have actually killed their chips or degraded them severely doing this? Answer: almost none to a tiny handful.

Here is one of those discussions I mentioned that helps illustrate what's really going on. Short of it is, these voltages are all within spec. That is why your motherboard profiles overclock to 'stupid' voltages, because it is entirely safe for them to do so. It just gets very hot unnecessarily, but that won't kill a thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the messages, I’ll upgrade in three years, are my temps High after delid 81c under full load h115i pro

I get about that on an AVX stress test with my delidded 8700K too. Actual real world uses; never gone above mid 70s during a heatwave. Common gaming temp is 55-60.

(You'd be over 100 without a delid methinks...)

Soldato
1.27v runs at a max stress of 73c in this shoebox. Not too shabby I'd say. That was basically my stock stress loads before I delidded.

I get about those temps and volts for my cpu running at 4.9ghz, but I havent delid the cpu and Im not runnng it with a perticler great cooler either.

Soldato
I get about those temps and volts for my cpu running at 4.9ghz, but I havent delid the cpu and Im not runnng it with a perticler great cooler either.

I'm using only two intake 120mm fans and a Noctua C14. If your cooling is worse than that then I seriously doubt you were actually running AVX loads. This is not a cold running chip.

Man of Honour
Voltage is not what degrades CPUs. It's current that does this, and you are vastly overestimating how much current your CPU is getting, unless you are AVX stressing a massively overclocked chip constantly. Even then you'll knock off maybe a year of life for a chip that will last over a decade.

It's pure scaremongering without basis by overclockers - how many have actually killed their chips or degraded them severely doing this? Answer: almost none to a tiny handful.

Here is one of those discussions I mentioned that helps illustrate what's really going on. Short of it is, these voltages are all within spec. That is why your motherboard profiles overclock to 'stupid' voltages, because it is entirely safe for them to do so. It just gets very hot unnecessarily, but that won't kill a thing.

Not denying the science of electromigration but tell that to the D9GMH chips :p above a certain voltage you'd get rapid onset of EM regardless of the level of cooling used - to the point they respun them as D9GCT or something like that.

I've killed CPUs and seen rapid degradation from having the VTT voltage too high though but back in the day ran several E6600 and Q6600 at the max voltage table for vcore (1.65v IIRC) with watercooling for years under heavy load no problem.

I certainly wouldn't recommend people run CPUs over the datasheet absolute max though it is there for a reason and infact if you are worried at all it is best to stick to the Intel proscribed max voltage (not absolute max). Intel generally revises it up slightly as a product matures, occasionally down but usually up when they know better the tolerances.

There have been plenty of people over the years complaining after 1-2 years of running high voltages of BSODs and having to turn down their overclock to get stability, etc.

Heat also tends to be bad for EM.

EDIT: The datasheet for this processor does note 1.52V max with the notation "Long term reliability cannot be assured in conditions above or below Max/Min functional limits.".

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye, I wasn't recommending people actually run 1.52v - the cooling for that would be next to impossible for any regular user anyway. That being said, people are scared of touching 1.4v when it is perfectly fine to do so if you have the cooling to do it. Being scared of the 1.3 region is just nonsense.

Soldato
I'm using only two intake 120mm fans and a Noctua C14. If your cooling is worse than that then I seriously doubt you were actually running AVX loads. This is not a cold running chip.
Im not much good at overclocking as I just change the cpu voltage and core speeds.

Aye, I wasn't recommending people actually run 1.52v - the cooling for that would be next to impossible for any regular user anyway. That being said, people are scared of touching 1.4v when it is perfectly fine to do so if you have the cooling to do it. Being scared of the 1.3 region is just nonsense.

Yeah its fine if you can get the temps nice and cool at a high voltage Im guessing. I never allow my cpu's to run at the overclocked speeds 24/7 as I always use the power saving options, so it drops the voltages and core speeds down when cpu is at idle or not being used much. My cpu runs at 800mhz when idel.

Soldato
Ah, that makes a lot more sense then.

Although in reality the power savings you make doing that are pennies to a couple of pounds. If it adds instability, it isn't worth it IMO.

Im using the Thermalright True 120 cpu cooler, Im guessing its not great for cooling the new cpu's as its was designed for the LGA1155 boards and cpus.

I haven't noticed my cpu being unstable due to the power saving settings, its not really saving the pennies that I do it for, its increasing the life of the cpu.. Plus I dont see the point of thrashing a cpu when its doing next to no work, its pointless.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Unless I'm missing it there doesn't seem to be a max and absolute max for these CPUs - normally they state for instance 1.45V max, 1.52V absolute max, etc.

Soldato
Fair enough. Although if you keep that CPU for 10 years I'll be impressed!

Its like driving your car at 40mph and thrashing the nuts of it with high rpm, whats the point? Plus I dont have the money if cpu died unexpectedly. Also I guess it puts stress on your other hardware too running a cpu at full throttle 24/7, like motherboard, memory and psu.

Soldato
I've thrashed the nuts off my 2500k for 8 years, its been a blast!!!

Edit: I think the most important thing is a really good quality PSU for long life of all components to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
1.39 is pretty high for daily usage, but Intel specs states these chips are designed to last at least 11-12 years at 1.52v. The temps will brickwall you though before you could get to a daily driver clock out of that.

However, 1.39 for 5.2GHz sounds perfectly reasonable for a 8700k.

you have a link for this info? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom