• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Associate
I've finally got shot of the 2500K for some 8086K action!

5GHz & 4.5Ghz Uncore @ 1.260V. Not tried going higher as the temps begin to creep up with more voltage and I'm not bottle-necking the 1080ti (unlike the 2500K @ 4.8GHz), so why bother?. I do feel like this chip needs de-lidding as temps do get over 75°C under load even with the H150i at full wack.

Overall very happy with this chip (and the remaining £2.5k spent on upgrading the rest of the PC XD).

Soldato
Had a little play with my 8086k (delidded) on my Aorus Gaming 7 last night.

Managed to get it to 5.2ghz @ 1.3v without much effort at all.

Soldato
1.3v is quite high, what are the temps like? I am using mine at 4.9ghz with about 1.28v, as Im not using a great cooler(my old thermalright true cooler) and temps are in the 70s when cpu is being stressed. Plus I dont want mine buggering up within a few yrs, as I am hoping to keep my pc for quite a long time, before the cpu needs changing again, fingers and toes crossed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do very basic overclocking, voltage and core speed, as Im not very good at it. So I was quite impressed with myself, getting it to 4.9ghz with a average priced motherboard.

Associate
1.3v is quite high, what are the temps like? I am using mine at 4.9ghz with about 1.28v, as Im not using a great cooler(my old thermalright true cooler) and temps are in the 70s when cpu is being stressed. Plus I dont want mine buggering up within a few yrs, as I am hoping to keep my pc for quite a long time, before the cpu needs changing again, fingers and toes crossed.
That's a conservative voltage for an 8086k from what I can tell, but i understand your reasons for sticking with it.

Every 8086k should be capable of 5GHz under 1.4v but if you want to keep the voltage lower then depending on the silicon, and your mobo ofc, the clocks will be lower.
Not that 100Hz makes a huge difference vs 4.9. It's a psychological thing more than anything else.

Soldato
Just picked one up for 360? Not sure if i overpaid.. I have a 8700k so managed to flog that for not much less so cost me 50 for the pleasure... hope it's worth it. How many of you get 5.2ghz on these?

Soldato
Just picked one up for 360? Not sure if i overpaid.. I have a 8700k so managed to flog that for not much less so cost me 50 for the pleasure... hope it's worth it. How many of you get 5.2ghz on these?

Mine does 5.2ghz with zero AVX offset @ 1.3v. This was a quick overclock so could squeeze more from it i'm sure.

Soldato
Finally getting around to overclocking my chip. Going for 5GHz stable. So far I'm running that at 1.265v. 1.26v failed after a while in stressing so hopefully the minor bump up does it.

Haven't messed with much beyond LLC6 and core ratio settings. May be able to crank some stability elsewhere.

Soldato
Get all, can anyone give me settings for 5.2? I've managed to get it Stable at 1.39 :/ with llc 6. I'm a newbie so any help would be appreciated. I did input 1.38 in to vote but in hw monitor/ cpuz it shows 1.39. is this high voltage? This are around 78-80c delided the chip

Soldato
1.39 is pretty high for daily usage, but Intel specs states these chips are designed to last at least 11-12 years at 1.52v. The temps will brickwall you though before you could get to a daily driver clock out of that.

However, 1.39 for 5.2GHz sounds perfectly reasonable for a 8700k.

Soldato
1.39 is pretty high for daily usage, but Intel specs states these chips are designed to last at least 11-12 years at 1.52v. The temps will brickwall you though before you could get to a daily driver clock out of that.

However, 1.39 for 5.2GHz sounds perfectly reasonable for a 8700k.

Thanks man, I'm happy enough. Hopefully it will ward of any temptation from 9900k

Associate
There's a decent amount of info here for vcore and speeds, admittedly it's for their specific chip but perhaps it can help.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3343-binning-a-cpu-volt-frequency-intel-i7-8086k

Do you have a source for the 11-12 years use at 1.52v claim? That seems incredibly high to me but I would love to be proved wrong.

I thought the 1.5ish v number was the extreme high end the silicon could handle in terms of spikes. I know Intel used to release details on the sustained voltage for a cpu, but as far as i can tell they stopped doing that and replaced it with vague maximums.
Vague in terms of how long the voltage can be sustained.

Soldato
The thing is, people keep thinking back to the Haswell days for voltages, and it's just wrong. The 14nm process *loves* voltage, if your temps can handle it.

I don't have a specific source on hand but I heard it from an Intel senior engineer himself, and I believe there are discussion topics on it floating around as well. These chips can take a lot and work just fine.

Associate
8086k is just a cherry pick 8700k
Yup, you are paying intel to bin the 8700k for you since they skimmed the 8086k bins from the 8700k high end reducing the amount of 8700k's that clock as high. So if the price for the two is pretty much the same or the 8086k slightly higher then it's not a bad deal.

People have paid much more for binned 8700ks :)

Also you get a nice sticker with it I think? :p

Soldato
Also an update: 1.265v failed after a few hours, so 1.27v it is for now. I have yet to play around with cache clocks yet so if reducing those a tad helps make things more stable I could try tweaking it down again once I hit a stable default baseline.

Back
Top Bottom