**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
oh I'm definately an all or nothing type of person @AndyCr15 :D

Really loving the new home app (in fact, all the recently updated apps are great....esp google fit)

2hs5gza.jpg

I might buy a home mini tomorrow

i sure hope with the notch "hidden" by being all black and putting the notifications up there, that when you use apps like gmail, it doesn't spring back into view with the wings being red. i want them to remain black at all times.

i will go into EE as soon as i can to get a play. i've bought 2 of the XL3 and 1 standard size 3 later as i felt this was the better look, but now i'm leaning more towards keeping just 1 white XL as having the notifications tucked away up there is a neat feature, but enough of a jump from XL2 that i currently have i'm not sure. screen calling isn't in the UK (god knows why), and may never come.

wide angel selfies, i've prob taken 2 selfies in my life as i'm confident enough to ask someone else to take a much nicer photo of the group.

so what are we getting here? i find the XL2 to be a bit laggy at times if i'm honest. Ok google picks up typically after 2/3 attempts now. will these things be improved on the XL3? they breezed so quickly over the specs i missed them the first time.

Soldato
i sure hope with the notch "hidden" by being all black and putting the notifications up there, that when you use apps like gmail, it doesn't spring back into view with the wings being red. i want them to remain black at all times.

i will go into EE as soon as i can to get a play. i've bought 2 of the XL3 and 1 standard size 3 later as i felt this was the better look, but now i'm leaning more towards keeping just 1 white XL as having the notifications tucked away up there is a neat feature, but enough of a jump from XL2 that i currently have i'm not sure. screen calling isn't in the UK (god knows why), and may never come.

wide angel selfies, i've prob taken 2 selfies in my life as i'm confident enough to ask someone else to take a much nicer photo of the group.

so what are we getting here? i find the XL2 to be a bit laggy at times if i'm honest. Ok google picks up typically after 2/3 attempts now. will these things be improved on the XL3? they breezed so quickly over the specs i missed them the first time.

The upgrades on a 2 are not much to be fair. I am surprised they did not go 6 or 8gb ram. As people have mentioned the xl2 has become a little laggy. Surely it will be the same with almost identical spec

That's my concern anyway.

Soldato
Proper question again, not trolling. Surely lack of RAM wont be the reason it slows over time though? RAM management is pretty good on Android these days isn't it? It will perhaps be an issue if you do a lot of app switching, but otherwise surely 4GB is fine?

Soldato
Proper question again, not trolling. Surely lack of RAM wont be the reason it slows over time though? RAM management is pretty good on Android these days isn't it? It will perhaps be an issue if you do a lot of app switching, but otherwise surely 4GB is fine?
I think P is quite aggresive on the closing background apps too.My P2 is as fast as when I got it 7 months ago and I'm a heavy user

Soldato
In the post I made a couple of days ago I did attempt to explain a little performance concern I had.

The pixel didn't quite feel as fast or fluid as my 5t. Couldn't quite put my finger on it though. I think OnePlus has heavily optimised the launcher which may be it? Or could it be that new security chip?

Isn't everything encrypted? Maybe that's what's slowing it up

For a mobile phone though surely 4gb is plenty

I/o ?

Or maybe a buggy app

Didn't a few review sites also say the pixel slate was laggy. I'm sure the two arent connected but still

Soldato
I think P is quite aggresive on the closing background apps too.My P2 is as fast as when I got it 7 months ago and I'm a heavy user
I think you're right here. In my experience RAM has little to no effect on the running of the phone or basic UI activities. What the extra RAM does is keep more things open for quicker loading. The one thing I noticed with my very brief 2 day tenure with the Note 9 was that web pages or Gmail that hasn't been opened in a couple of hours just fired straight up. Whereas with the Pixel they had to reload - now this could be RAM related or Pie related as you've eluded to.

Associate
I’ve also noticed lag creeping in on my 2XL. But the thing is, is the 3 really that much quicker. It didn’t always lag so my concern would be the same would happen after a year with a 3. Not that I intend to buy one, but if I did it would certainly be a concern, especially as the selling point of a google phone is supposed to be its performance.

Soldato
One thing putting me off is I reckon by next year the notch will be history. I wouldn't be surprised if the technology was already available to do it but manufacturers know that doing it this early doesn't make for good business. Anyhoo, my point is that if the notch is consigned to Room 101 by next year the 3XL is going to be very difficult to sell 2nd hand.

Soldato
I’ve also noticed lag creeping in on my 2XL. But the thing is, is the 3 really that much quicker. It didn’t always lag so my concern would be the same would happen after a year with a 3. Not that I intend to buy one, but if I did it would certainly be a concern, especially as the selling point of a google phone is supposed to be its performance.
I honestly can't say I've noticed any lag on my 2XL. It's still nippy enough that when I used the Note 9 you could tell the lack of buttery smoothness straight away.

Soldato
One thing putting me off is I reckon by next year the notch will be history. I wouldn't be surprised if the technology was already available to do it but manufacturers know that doing it this early doesn't make for good business. Anyhoo, my point is that if the notch is consigned to Room 101 by next year the 3XL is going to be very difficult to sell 2nd hand.

Damn that's a good point. Even a small redesign would knock a huge chunk off. HTC know how to make a good looking phone, and with Google's backing the sky's the limit.

Associate
I honestly can't say I've noticed any lag on my 2XL. It's still nippy enough that when I used the Note 9 you could tell the lack of buttery smoothness straight away.

It’s just now and again. In general use it is still pretty good. I’ve noticed on rare occasions it just seems to slow down. Probably down to the speed of a Samsung :)

Associate
Untitled.png

That looks better to me.

Yep seen something similar earlier on. This is what I meant when I said the picture on the right looks like a 2XL just more modern (hence the 2XL appears a little more dated, especially with its slightly thicker side bezels). I could definitely live with that, it just looks like the status bar is floating in a top bezel. Quite cool. I actually quite like it. I’m still not buying one, though :)

Back
Top Bottom