*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thanks for the info about using the standard USG. After doing some googling it looks like ubiquiti don't recommend to rack mount the standard USG due to needing to be passively cooled apparently, anyone else heard that? I found the third party rack kit for it though. Would I be better just to buy a setup similar to bledd and just put the USG and an 8 port 8-60w switch on a shelve in the rack?

Here is the floor plan to my bungalow to give you an idea about layout. The rack is marked in red, I was considering possibly using 2 AP's at either end or side of the house to provide good coverage throughout. The AP's will need to have new Cat6 ran to their locations as I have no capacity available currently. Any advice as to the best location would be great.

JPGSvIS.png

I'm getting closer to moving over to a Ubiquiti install. I'm still trying to figure out which model and how many AP's I should invest in to give me good mesh coverage?

Would 3 be overkill? Two in the Hall (At either end) - covering the Bedrooms, Study and Livingroom and a third at the Utility end of my Kitchen - covering the Kitchen and the outside Deck.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm getting closer to moving over to a Ubiquiti install. I'm still trying to figure out which model and how many AP's I should invest in to give me good coverage?

Buy one of the triple packs and then use a couple long cables and try different positions around the house to find where best to install them.

I went with a AC Pro triple pack, two indoors and an out building.

When installing make sure they are installed correctly for optimum spread, ie ceiling mount, not wall mounted.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005212927-UniFi-UAP-Antenna-Radiation-Patterns

RSR

RSR

Soldato
If anyone is running a US-XG-16, how are you finding the copper ports? Can all of them be used? As I know with the earlier hardware revisions that they seem to struggle with the these.

Soldato
Buy one of the triple packs and then use a couple long cables and try different positions around the house to find where best to install them.

I went with a AC Pro triple pack, two indoors and an out building.

When installing make sure they are installed correctly for optimum spread, ie ceiling mount, not wall mounted.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005212927-UniFi-UAP-Antenna-Radiation-Patterns

Thanks for the advice. The AP's will all be ceiling mounted and will be cabled back to my server rack in my garage.

I'm still trying to figure out if I should go with the AC-Pro's or the AC-Lite's. When pricing them up I found it cheaper to buy three separate AP's rather than a triple pack?

Man of Honour
New controller software out, not sure I like it, guess I just need to get used to it.

I really wish I could use my pfSense firewall and use the USG to log traffic only, without double NAT.

Soldato
I really wish I could use my pfSense firewall and use the USG to log traffic only, without double NAT.

Why do you need to double NAT, can you not just set-up the USG as a router without NAT and have a small routed network between your USG and PFSense?

Internet --> (NAT on WAN) PFSense (LAN no NAT) ---> USG (no NAT) --> Local Network

Schema something like this :-

PFSense WAN : ISP provided IP
PFSense LAN : 192.168.99.1 / 30
USG WAN : 192.168.99.2 /30 (default GW 192.168.99.1)
USG LAN : your local LAN, ie 192.168.1.0 /24 or something with default gateway of the USG LAN interface

With this all NAT would only be done by PFSense and the USG would just act as a router but as traffic still passes through you would still receive all the stats.

Bit over kill but see no reason why it wouldnt work.

Man of Honour
Unsure of the version number, I'd have to check tonight.

Why do you need to double NAT, can you not just set-up the USG as a router without NAT and have a small routed network between your USG and PFSense?

Internet --> (NAT on WAN) PFSense (LAN no NAT) ---> USG (no NAT) --> Local Network

USG LAN : your local LAN, ie 192.168.1.0 /24 or something with default gateway of the USG LAN interface

With this all NAT would only be done by PFSense and the USG would just act as a router but as traffic still passes through you would still receive all the stats.

I'll give this a go, thanks.

Soldato

This will indeed work and unfortunately the NAT/DNAT property is not exposed in the current Unifi GUI so if you want to turn off NAT you need to edit the JSON file.

The how-to is here https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Guide-to-disabling-NAT-on-USG/td-p/2012460

Soldato
You can add a widget to the bottom half the page for VPN I believe.

You can indeed but sadly not to the default area, you have to create a new dash / area and then add VPN meaning you need to switch between the default and seeing VPN.

I am sure with a little more thought they could have kept it on the main display.

Associate
Hi All,

Currently have 2 x Unifi AP's and just setup a USG Pro (replaced the god awful fans). Everything is working great but just want to ask a simple question about the cloud key -

I currently have the controller installed on my PC, would I be right in thinking whilst my PC is off the cloud key gathers the stats from all the devices so at a later date I can view and review?
Is the cloud key accessible from any device?

Associate
The Cloud key would become the controller. You wouldn’t need the PC at all anymore and yes, the Cloud Key is available from almost any connected device anywhere.

Thanks, that's clear.

Just trying it with the QNAP NAS (that's on 24x7) - via the container station app and using the latest controller software. Seems to be working well so I'll keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom