**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
Was holding out for the Pixel 3 XL since my Pixel has reached the end of its lifespan.

Kinda concerned about the reports though.

I'm looking at the Huawei P20 Pro now, or possibly the Pixel 2 XL of its cheap enough

Camera quality is top priority. Anything else non-apple worth considering? I hate Samsung's OS :/

Soldato
It's not Qi, that's the problem. It's their own standard. Absolute **** take tbh, this is exactly the nonsense Apple pulls.

Jeez. Poor play from Google. I thought Apple used QI though, but could be mistaken.

To be honest, whilst I'm heavily invested within the andoid ecosystem I have found myself looking at iPhones this week.

Soldato
My understanding is that it is Qi, but that 'fast' isn't a standard. Samsung introduced it, but it's not 'standard' as such. Google have either done 'fast' a different way, or have put some sort of extra check in to make sure the charger is safe/compatible.

Right now it seems like a **** move from Google, on the flip side - I've had to send back quite a few duff chargers that either don't work or don't work for fast charging as advertised. Maybe this way it will make it more expensive reliable to get a decent charger...

Soldato
I think overall, the XR is the better phone. Seems the only thing going for the Pixel 3 series now is the camera

and if the very code works on the XR making it £650 it's a no brainer. If apple had only gone with a cheaper oled screen rather than lcd I've have already ordered one. The bezels on the XR make it look like a cheap chineese iphone x clone lol will have to see it in the flesh.

ok, it doesn't work on XR, but does on the XS bringing it down to £899

Last edited:
Soldato
After the XS/XR launch I took a good look as I wasn't enamoured with the Pixel 3's rumours. There's loads of things to like about it, and iOS has come a long way, but there's still too many shortcomings to make it viable (for me).

If I were to change my mind about the Pixel 3, I'd be looking squarely at the Mate 20 Pro. The latest EMUI looks fine, certainly compared to current Samsungs anyway.

Soldato
After the XS/XR launch I took a good look as I wasn't enamoured with the Pixel 3's rumours. There's loads of things to like about it, and iOS has come a long way, but there's still too many shortcomings to make it viable (for me).

If I were to change my mind about the Pixel 3, I'd be looking squarely at the Mate 20 Pro. The latest EMUI looks fine, certainly compared to current Samsungs anyway.

Just been watching some XR reviews and stuff and I just don't know if I would enjoy IOS again. Its hard to say without having one for a few days, I think the mate 20 Pro is just too big, and EMUI isnt very nice from what I've experienced. I see no other option here apart from Pixel 3, IPhone XR or Oneplus 6T assuming they pull out all the stops.

Associate
It's certainly a frustrating time to be in the market for a phone.

My 2xl is fine for now but I'm not convinced it's going to last; it's now showing early signs of hardware failure (weird banded, flickering display sometimes when you wake it up)... So I think I'm going to be forced to consider my options.

I like Android, especially stock but as many of you seem to agree, Google really is dropping the ball big style at the minute.

Early next year my workplace will be getting the XR and I'll be able to get it free and for a tenner a month. We don't unfortunately get the option for the costlier devices. One thing that worries me with that is the camera, no optical zoom and it's going to be worse than the 2xl here never mind anything newer and the camera is quite important to me as I don't have another camera to use.

I could probably live with iOS in all honesty, I've already got an iPad Pro 10.5 and it would play nicely with this. I'd even consider a watch, an option not available in the pixel line up.

Hell if I could have done a straight swap for an old iPhone X I would have but despite the fact they were only £200 more when new they are now worth double on the second hand market. Even the 8 Plus, in many ways just as good as the 10 is commanding a large premium over my 2XL.

I guess I'll just keep it until it eventually dies, which it inevitably will soon I feel, and then review my options, but I'm struggling to think of a period when I was more apathetic about the whole thing as I am now.

Soldato
Thats a joke right?

Which part? that is a dick move or they're taking a leaf out of Apple's book?

Anyway, this is why people are saying it isn't Qi: https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7U050-MG/

MADE FOR GOOGLE**
Made with the Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL in mind, this wireless charging pad uses Google’s 10W proprietary wireless charging technology. It’s certified for Pixel, so you know that the BOOST ↑UP Wireless Charging pad has been made specifically for your Pixel 3 and meets Google’s high product standards.

Proprietary. Now, that might end up just being Qi with a secure handshake, I don't know. But when it uses a secure handshake it's irrelevant anyway. It's pure money grab and it's just nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom