• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
The Barton 2500 was my 2nd AMD CPU, after my 1.4GHz T’bird. All you had to do was up the FSB and you had a 3200 for the low price of £120.

Such a great CPU and still in the days of applying the thermal paste directly to the core.
Did they not have heat spreaders?

Associate
Did they not have heat spreaders?
tbred-hand3.jpg

Caporegime
Ah, had to love clamping down the cooler and praying you didn't hear a crunch :D

What was the cooler that was renowned for doing that? I had one and can't remember its name, think it was a thermalright cooler that had a delta fan on it? I remember one side of the cooler you had to use a flat screwdriver that went into a metal slit to clip it down.

Associate
Think I had the XP-M 2500+.
Classic CPU and I still have one with my old EPOX board too. Need to re-cap it to get it working again :D

EDIT: Just a thought, could get an old intel heatspreader, modify it for the 2500 and use conductonaut between the two. Would protect the Die and hopefully improve the thermals...

Hmmm plans....

Associate
I had a duron of some model, an Athlon 64(oh man I loved that cop), a phenom ii X3 720be(could unlock 4 cores), a phenom x4 960T(could unlock 5 cores ito of 6). I had a FX 8350 - which until earlier in the year lived happily until be PSU killed everything.

That FX8350 may have been a space heater but it aged gracefully and the extra cores and threads kept games smooth even if the fps wasn't as high as equivalent Intel CPUs.

I'm now rocking a 1700x and am as happy as a pig in crap.

Soldato
I had loads of the oldschool AMD CPUs. From the K6-2 and Slot-A K7 Athlon through the TBirds, Bartons and the K8 Opteron 1** series (Loved the Opteron 185!).
The K8 Windsor/Brisbane was my last AMD CPU until Ryzen came along.

K7 was king! Those were the days.

Edit: Still have an Opteron somewhere. Might dig it out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, had to love clamping down the cooler and praying you didn't hear a crunch :D

What was the cooler that was renowned for doing that? I had one and can't remember its name, think it was a thermalright cooler that had a delta fan on it? I remember one side of the cooler you had to use a flat screwdriver that went into a metal slit to clip it down.

I had this one which could be the the one you’re thinking of? I give you the Thermalright SK6 which was just a slab of copper and Delta fan on top.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/825/6

I remember being able to hear the drone of the thing outside my room when I lived in halls at Uni.

Soldato
Just bought an Xbox one X to replace my Xbox one to tide over til Zen2... PC industry is stale right now... Hopefully mid 2019 should be something decent to upgrade to.

Associate

The Golden Orb series of coolers were legendary for munching Athlons

Soldato
Just bought an Xbox one X to replace my Xbox one to tide over til Zen2... PC industry is stale right now... Hopefully mid 2019 should be something decent to upgrade to.

Do you have a system at present? What is your intended use for a PC? Purely gaming? At what resolution? Is your frustration relating to anything inparticular regards CPUs, GPUs, monitors etc... or just all of the above? How do you define "decent", or is it all more to do with cost?

Soldato
Do you have a system at present? What is your intended use for a PC? Purely gaming? At what resolution? Is your frustration relating to anything inparticular regards CPUs, GPUs, monitors etc... or just all of the above?

R7 1700 @3.9 1.35v, 1080FE, CH6 gaming on a 1440p 144hz Freesync screen (I miss freesync).

Pretty much just play POE, Grim Dawn and occasionally FF14 online.

I want a decent GPU, but Vega is not doing it for me, so im happy to wait til AMD release something decent on 7nm, likewise with CPU, I'm waiting for Zen 2. Monitor us fine, but I have the urge to upgrade, so scratching the itch with a new console, RDR2 will keep me busy for a while :)

Soldato
R7 1700 @3.9 1.35v, 1080FE, CH6 gaming on a 1440p 144hz Freesync screen (I miss freesync).

Pretty much just play POE, Grim Dawn and occasionally FF14 online.

I want a decent GPU, but Vega is not doing it for me, so im happy to wait til AMD release something decent on 7nm, likewise with CPU, I'm waiting for Zen 2. Monitor us fine, but I have the urge to upgrade, so scratching the itch with a new console, RDR2 will keep me busy for a while :)

I agree with you on GPU... it's a sucky time to want to really push a 1440p/UW/4K Freesync monitor. Vega 64 does a half decent job at 1440p, but it's a real shame AMD don't have something to rival the 1080Ti after all this time.

From a 1700, I can see the logic to wait for Zen 2. it should offer a decent bump over current offerings, which aren't at all shabby in and of themselves. Will be interesting to see if anything is announced at CES, but I think you'll be waiting much longer for an AMD GPU that excites than you will a CPU.

Caporegime
It was more fun back then, the overclocking, the modding, the games and the internet.

And the prices. 1.33ghz thunderbird in 2001 which was close to the top end cpu at one point (1.4ghz the highest at the time) was £120 ffs. £154 or so for the 1.4 thunderbird.

Back
Top Bottom