How do YOU make porridge?

Soldato
A pressure cooker (under pressure) is going to liquify oats. - ? you'd have to make pints too.

Barley flakes cook quickly, for me, so mixing with regular oats would be a problem - perhaps I need some thicker rolled ones.
Sat picked up some barley malt extract, will try that as a cheaper/tastier? topping alternative to (tsp)dark-sugar, or maple.

( Need a picture of that marmite oats thing .. otherwise it didn't happen.)

Soldato
7 mins at 12.5 psi was perfect, oats stayed intact with some bite still but really good creamy texture. Obviously if you stick them in there for an hour it’s going to be grim. I made a big batch to share but no reason you couldn’t save some to gently reheat if it was just you.

Soldato
ok - subsequently saw an article that listed my concerns
my prestige cooker even on a gas hob would take 5mins to get to pressure ... and the cleaning up of the pans versus a right sized saucepan and <10mins

All pressure cooker manuals advise against pressure cooking oatmeal, and that’s because cooking oatmeal directly in the base will cause the oatmeal to foam, splatter and clog the pressure release valves, which is a safety concern. Using a bowl cooks the oatmeal more delicately, in that it ensures that pressure builds in the cooker before the oatmeal itself is boiling. This reduces foam and splatters because pressurized steam will actually be pushing down on the oatmeal preventing it from actively boiling (making bubbles that ultimately generate splatters and foam).

Another issue is that the amount of oatmeal you can pressure cook directly in the pressure cooker is dictated by your cooker’s minimum liquid requirement- making it impossible to make oatmeal for just 1. And even then, the only liquid you can use for the oatmeal is water because milk will scorch and burn -you can use whatever, and however much, liquid you with the oatmeal-in-the-bowl method – as long as the contents of the bowl(s) do not go over the 1/2 full mark, of course. ; )

Soldato
Milk was no issue in my electric cooker. It’s not a quick option vs the microwave but proper porridge takes 15-20 mins to make on the stove so not too bad. I mainly tried it for an experiment but the flavour and texture was better than any other method I’ve tried.

Permabanned
FINALLY got over my fear of Porridge this week. Anyone else find that their pallet just opens up more and more as the years go on and you just find yourself enjoying stuff you'd previously swore never to touch? The texture, taste and even the smell of Porridge turned my stomach for years and years but I've been having two bowls a day for the past few days now and really enjoying it.

Been bull rushing a new regime of exercise these past few months and it's left me very short of time during the evenings to make my usual overnight oats so needed something quick and warm for the mornings.

Bit of Honey
Some ground Flax, Linseed and Pumpkin seeds
Goji Berries
Almond Milk.

Soldato
Half a builders mug of organic jumbo oats, a builders mug of water, half a builders mug of whole milk.

Cook gently, stirring regularly.

Add nuts, honey, banana etc.

Associate
1st rule of Porridge Club - NO MEASURING! it's done by eye
2nd Rule of Porridge Club - We don't talk about rule one or Porridge club unless Significant Other is following a measured recipe and creating Sub-standard Porridge!!!

Sling oats in Pan with salt, add enough water to cover - simmer until greatness is nearly achieved.
add splash of milk for creaminess and sugar to taste and Bob is your mother's brother!!!!

Soldato
Just discovered steel cut porridge oats + electric pressure cooker.
yes these take some cooking versus regular rolled, I usually soak them overnight.

FINALLY got over my fear of Porridge this week.
Lol - I can understand this with millelnials/can't wait generation, brought up on some of Quaker & Co. instant muck (even Ready-brek's better than that),
but otherwise porridge is pretty inoffensive/inert.
but (need to catch up on this weeks ITV 'hypothesis - self-inflicted' allergies programme) I suppose we will soon have people gravely ill from this killer breakfast.

Soldato
Depends where I am.

At work 50g oats soaked overnight in 125ml of water then add another 200ml of milk in the morning and microwave until thick.

On the hob same but more milk no water long slow and low heat. I love my porridge like wallpaper paste! Then scoop of jam or some chopped banana and honey on top.

Permabanned
yes these take some cooking versus regular rolled, I usually soak them overnight.

Lol - I can understand this with millelnials/can't wait generation, brought up on some of Quaker & Co. instant muck (even Ready-brek's better than that),
but otherwise porridge is pretty inoffensive/inert.
but (need to catch up on this weeks ITV 'hypothesis - self-inflicted' allergies programme) I suppose we will soon have people gravely ill from this killer breakfast.

...or a persons palette just changes as they get older ;)

Don
FINALLY got over my fear of Porridge this week. Anyone else find that their pallet just opens up more and more as the years go on and you just find yourself enjoying stuff you'd previously swore never to touch? The texture, taste and even the smell of Porridge turned my stomach for years and years but I've been having two bowls a day for the past few days now and really enjoying it.

Been bull rushing a new regime of exercise these past few months and it's left me very short of time during the evenings to make my usual overnight oats so needed something quick and warm for the mornings.

Bit of Honey
Some ground Flax, Linseed and Pumpkin seeds
Goji Berries
Almond Milk.

Yep, I'm the same way. In my younger years porridge used to make me gag. Now I regularly have it for breakfast. Maybe it was just my Mother's awful cooking that caused me to hate it :p

Soldato
They probably mean the watered down version by the likes of alpro.
have now looked on the web, indeed, 2 versions ... choices .... have some tins ... comments suggest tinned will be creamier.

http://www.heavenlynnhealthy.com/coconut-porridge/
  • ½ cup (50g) of oats
  • 1 cup (200ml) of water
  • 3 tablespoons (45ml) of coconut milk <--- tinned ~ 60 calories

https://www.alpro.com/uk/recipe-inspiration/coconut-porridge
250 ml Alpro Coconut Drink Fresh
75 g oatmeal
Pinch of cinnamon​

Soldato
as you say it came out well and tastes good/subtle ... just a couple of tbsp in at start ... with leftovers for next time

40114991433_1d873325c1_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom