What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night. Not a bad film at all, very well done and well acted. Eddie Redmayne does a good job of someone who's rather socially awkward. 7.5/10.

Then Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. Overly long without a satisfying ending and completely setup for the next one so without a real conclusion. I hate movies like that. Didn't much like Johnny Depp in this one either. 5/10.

Associate
Better than The Mummy, in an Egyptological kind of way :):)
gatemovie.jpg

Associate
Mortal Engines (2018) - 6/10

An ok fantasy adventure which is mostly style over substance.

The characters and world are initially interesting, but end up clichéd and a wasted opportunity.

Corny love scenes and weird parental issues aside, there are some nice humorous moments within the simple story which unfortunately runs on for a bit too long.

The many chases scenes show off the amazing artistic vision and superb special effects, but the time could have been better spent building the world or exploring the concepts raised.

Caporegime
The Commuter - turned straight out of the Liam Neeson jelly mould. Feel like I’ve seen the same film about five times now. Never seen this one before, but knew exactly what was gonna happen next. Still kinda enjoyed it though. A generous 5/10.

Soldato
First Man 9/10

Has one of the best openings of a film and the cinematography was absolutely perfect, actually felt like you were with them for the whole journey through the astronaut program to landing on the moon

Soldato
Started watching Dawn of Justice last night. 40 minutes in and... damn - this **** is boring. It's going to take some willpower to get through it.

Nice to see Drazic from Heartbreak High pop up, though. Long time no see.

Soldato
Mortal Engines (2018) - 6/10

An ok fantasy adventure which is mostly style over substance.

The characters and world are initially interesting, but end up clichéd and a wasted opportunity.

Corny love scenes and weird parental issues aside, there are some nice humorous moments within the simple story which unfortunately runs on for a bit too long.

The many chases scenes show off the amazing artistic vision and superb special effects, but the time could have been better spent building the world or exploring the concepts raised.

I'll just quote you as you have summed up exactly what I was going to say and gave it the same score :p

Caporegime
Venom, 3/10

No idea how people are finding it enjoyable tbh. Hardy is, people rate him as one of the best actors of a generation and I just see him as a guy who bumbles his way through most roles i see him in and this was no different. Somehow he was a brilliant investigative journalist for the start of the film, well respected and getting the stories, although they showed this by having him just film a few things, not doing a 'take down' interview where he exposes corruption or anything which seemed odd. Either way they framed him as a star investigative reporter, then once he's down and out, he's an idiot, through the entire rest of the film he's a complete and utter idiot and everything he does is utterly stupid.

The action wasn't good, the final fight was just a mess of spinning CGI, it wasn't actually interesting to watch and

The fact that it was patently obvious that if they just let him get on the shuttle, then went over and damaged the hell out of it, then the bad dude would die without any need for a fight, a fight he said upfront he couldn't win.... as with everything else the film was just stupid.

Your boss is a bad dude, wow, I better take my camera in there to take pictures rather than the woman who is in there every day and clearly not having her phone checked can't take pictures, steal files or upload a bunch of evidence off site, obviously the genius investigative reporter has to be in the building himself. Also the whole while he can't get work... he doesn't know about the internet. Scratch that, before he actually did the interview with Drake (was that his name) he could have contacted those patients and gotten you know, evidence, got them on record, done interviews, etc, and had this all ready to go to ask Drake about it then put up an expose story, instead he just bumbles out a stupid question and ends his career.

So on going into a secret facility testing on ******* aliens, he decides to smash open a contain to an infected person with no thought about hey, maybe she's been infected and this is a bad idea.

I just can't stand films that are so poorly put together AND it's so easy to fix. Here, the woman contacts him, she uses a freaking burner phone because no one on earth is that stupid and that also wound me up, they meet up, she's followed. They know what is going on so they decide he's dangerous to them so they pick him up and purposefully infect him expecting him to just die or be controlled by the alien and then he's a match and they brake out. That is a million times better and doesn't revolve around pure stupidity, it's not more complex it wouldn't cost way more to achieve it's just so so much better as a story.

THe real killer for this film is the action just wasn't any good, the story is absurdly stupid on multiple occasions and as in the spoiler, there is no reason for it, it's just lazy as hell awful writing. So much could have been done smarter and less frustrating to watch. But the pay off, the idea of okay it's stupid but turn your mind off and enjoy it(I absolutely hate that concept, a film doesn't have to be stupid to be silly fun), but the action wasn't good. I'm trying to remember overall but I think there were what, three more significant action sequences. One is literally just covered in smoke and utterly boring. One is 100% unnecessary and stupid and the action itself is terrible (the final one) and when he first uses his powers is the best one but it's got really bad dialogue throughout and could have been done so much better.

As with a few other films, 95% of the content up to him getting infected by Venom is pretty much filler and wastes half the film. Get rid of the love interest, or just have her appear as an ex later in the film, nothing lost. The overall theme of the movie, it pretty much works better with him starting off a desperate loser anyway so they could have cut 25-30 mins of the start and added 25-30 mins of Venom/Eddie doing stuff together, talking, arguing, doing random stuff around the city, etc.

Caporegime
Probably something to do with not everyone being as miserable and over analytical as you.

Most people are saying it's rubbish as far as I can tell. I'm just saying I don't understand the few people that like it, it's bad action, it's bad story, it's bad acting. There is pretty much a single line in the whole film I thought was genuinely funny and well delivered. I love plenty of films, if you don't want to discuss films why are you on a discussion board in a thread for reviewing/talking about films?

Back
Top Bottom