Mourinho Sacked! Solskjær new interim manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's still mad how people thing Sterling has improved dramatically since signing for City like Pep is some miracle worker. He was outstanding for Liverpool and signed for 50 mil...his progression is about right for his level at Liverpool.

Wenger for DOF talk ...when was the last time he signed a decent player? Come on now...get out of the past.

Caporegime
United had been under funded on the transfer front for years. It was like watching a car age. You keep patching things up and spending what you need to keep the car running but eventually you need to buy a new one. United squad was old, lacking real quality in most of the team and full of players who were about to hang up their boots or were in decline. Fergie wasn't going to rebuild a United team in the last season or two he was there, he should have been maintaining the level of the team from when we had the likes of Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney leading our line. Ferguson watched the quality of player decline slowly until he left.

I would put good money on the fact that City will win the league this season and then spend a lot of money on top players in the summer despite being far stronger than everyone else in the league. When you are at the top you should consolidate your strength, not watch it ebb away as other teams slowly catch up with you.

Which has what to do with what I was talking about?

New manager comes in with previous manager having spent 100mil in the previous 5 transfer windows, having a huge amortisation cost going through every season, with 10 players on newer 150k a week 4 year contracts such that pushing any of them out is expensive and difficult. The new manager has to use the players fergie picked and can only make minor changes. Due to less spending, no new star players on huge contracts the new manager was free to spend more on the players they really wanted and make far more changes without being restricted. Fergie left a team ripe for rebuilding that was easy to change drastically even in one transfer window. A team isn't great for rebuilding if you can only afford to buy 1-2 players and everyone in the team is on new expensive contracts.

Utd were in the best position they really could be for a new manager to build a new squad very quickly.

As for City, City already massively backed off their spending this year. Two years replacing an ageing defence (particularly at fullback) and they now need fairly minor maintenance in terms of player turn over to remain fresh and competitive.

Soldato
I can't believe this has happened so fast, quite shocked really, also not sure who could even come in that would make a difference, the best managers are tied up!

Permabanned
So, which odds are higher - Nottingham Forest to be promoted to the Premier League or Man Utd to go down to Championship?

/just kidding lol

fez

fez

Caporegime
Somewhat underwhelmed with Solskjaer as interim but fingers crossed he can bring a bit of happiness back to United until the summer when we can sort out a proper replacement.

I guess it will be a good test of the players character. He’s not proven and I don’t know if he’s a big character but we will see what happens!

Man of Honour
Somewhat underwhelmed with Solskjaer as interim but fingers crossed he can bring a bit of happiness back to United until the summer when we can sort out a proper replacement.

I guess it will be a good test of the players character. He’s not proven and I don’t know if he’s a big character but we will see what happens!

He is a good manager, just relatively unknown at this level, but I think the club want some time to get a DoF in place, followed by Pochettino in the summer. If that is the case, you're limited in terms of managers.

It's going to be very interesting.

Associate
As mentioned earlier, Solkjaer's obviously not the best manager around, but to a whole generation of fans he symbolises the joy and pride of our football from the late 90s and early 00s - that alone will lift the mood which is a huge bonus after Mourinho. He knows the club, he knows some of the former youth players and he isn't going to ruffle any feathers, he'll just get on with it and do whatever's best for the future of the club because he loves the club. He'll come in with little fanfare (compared to a more established/high profile manager like Blanc) and he won't have the expectations placed on him that a Giggs would. I don't expect us to go tearing into the top 4, but I think he'd have to be spectacularly bad to make us any worse than we have been. I'm not overly excited by it, but nor am I disappointed.

Paul Ince reckons we should give Steve Bruce or Mark Hughes a go, so there's always that... :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Think this is a good choice. Realistically we have no chance of getting top 4 now so better try something new and see how it goes. Statistically Jose is the in the top two of current managers so who else are we going too get and if Ole turns out good he is not the kind of person who would jump ship as his heart is at the club.

When Pochettino was signed by Southampton everyone was wondering what a guy that cannot speak English is doing in the premier league and look at how that turned out?

Man of Honour
The thing is, not many other coaches would be prepared to take on the job for 4-5 months would they? Utd are obviously doing this as they are confident of securing Poch or someone else in the summer. The season can't get much worse really.

I guess that means it's not going to be Zidane as otherwise he'd take over now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom