• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Caporegime
You can stick as much HBM as you want on a card but is it making any difference to performance?

If they could have a 12GB card would it loose 25% of the memory bandwidth, and what would be the performance impact?

If the performance impact was minimal, dropped the price sub £600 and reduced power/thermals that would seem a good trade off.

That HBM2 isn't cheap:

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/48019-radeon-vii-16gb-hbm-2-memory-cost-around-320

The HBM2 was already mounted when they test the cards and oick the failures for Radeon 7.

Not possible to remove a stack once mounted to the interposer. So you have a 16GB card or it goes in the bin.

Caporegime
You can stick as much HBM as you want on a card but is it making any difference to performance?

If they could have a 12GB card would it loose 25% of the memory bandwidth, and what would be the performance impact?

If the performance impact was minimal, dropped the price sub £600 and reduced power/thermals that would seem a good trade off.

That HBM2 isn't cheap:

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/48019-radeon-vii-16gb-hbm-2-memory-cost-around-320

Fudzilla is getting their numbers for hbm price from gamers nexus, who in turn are getting it from one of the manufacturers based on purchase of 16 gigs of it. That's not the price amd is going to pay as they're ordering thousands of modules of it.

Associate
Its an MI50 card that for one reason or another cannot perform as a full on MI50, so instead of throwing them all away they push it out as a Radeon VII. Just like Nvidia do with failures of chips, they are re purposed and used for something else a bit lower down the chain. Basic economics really.
Its far better than them just being lobbed in the bin as far as financials go. All manufacturers of any type of chips do it. It makes financial sense to do so. They couldnt put 8GB of HBM2 on it because everything is designed around the 16GB of HBM2 on the board and that would have cost more money to change it. Again better for financials.
They've re purposed a compute card into a compute and gaming card and its competing with the recently released RTX2080 at the same price.....with poor drivers. Not that shabby.

Mind you I still wouldnt pay £649 for a graphics card...from either manufacturer. The world has gone mad in the last few years. :p

Soldato
Cause some people ware expecting GPU JESUS the saviour of the market, but no miracles happened yesterday ;)

No, they weren't. Anybody following this even remotely closely knew full well it's a repurposed Instinct package and knew full well it wasn't going to set the world alight. And if you were following and expected miracles then you're an idiot who doesn't understand what they're looking at. Or trolling.

And for those who weren't following this, AMD have just released a new GPU that trades blows with the RTX 2080 for a little bit less money which is a major win.

Soldato
Just as is your posting history, any constructive valid criticism automatically gets defended by yourself. Amd do no wrong.

lolwhut? Jog on pal, there's not "defence" of AMD here. AMD can do plenty wrong. And show me constructive and valid criticism that I've "defended". But actually make constructive and valid criticism in the first place and I won't be amused by the tripe.

Soldato
That's from ************. They are entirely in line with OcUK's prices. Cheapest R7 is £650. Cheapest 2080 is £639. Both are available cheaper elsewhere, which isn't a great shocker.

*Edit*
It seems that site is restricted, so I'll leave you to work out which pc part comparison site it's from.

Soldato

That HBM2 isn't cheap:

Here is a very good video explaining the difference between HBM and GDDR6

HBM2 isn't cheap but since AMD help develop it and declined to take royalties for it's been said that AMD doesn't pay what everyone pays for it.
The development of High Bandwidth Memory began at AMD in 2008 to solve the problem of ever increasing power usage and form factor of computer memory. Amongst other things AMD developed procedures to solve the die stacking problems with a team led by Senior AMD Fellow Bryan Black. Partners from the memory industry (SK Hynix), interposer industry (UMC) and packaging industry (Amkor Technology and ASE) were obtained to help AMD realize their vision of HBM.High volume manufacturing began at a Hynix facility in Icheon, Korea in 2015.

HBM has been adopted as industry standard JESD235 by JEDEC as of October 2013 following a proposal by AMD and SK Hynix in 2010. The first GPU utilizing HBM is AMD Fiji which was released in June 2015 powering the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Bandwidth_Memory

“AMD is not involved in collecting any royalties for HBM,” said Iain Bristow, a spokesman for AMD. “We are actively encouraging widespread adoption of all HBM associated technology on [Radeon R9] Fury products and there is no IP licensing associated.”
https://wccftech.com/amd-squashes-rumors-hbm-ip-licensing-fees-memory-standard-free/

This is why we didn't see GDDr6 on R7, AMD is still promoting HBM and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Caporegime
OP
Some interesting and mostly fair responses. Thinking on, I do think the limited supply (5000?) shows that it is a stop gap card prior to Navi launching. Clearly they have made use of the Mi50/60? cards and repurposed them as a gaming card and basically it is a die shrunk Vega. Not a bad move from AMD and a good way of selling off failed chips and getting themselves back in the high end gaming segment. I do feel the launch is meh though and no overclocking helps (or the usual undervolting). I also don't feel we will be seeing the "fine wine" status with these cards, as Vega is quite long in the tooth now but saying that, it is AMD and they have eeked out performance before. Hopefully the overclocking part gets sorted very quickly and those who have already purchased one can enjoy having some fun with them.

16GB is nice for the 4K gamers out there and VRAM has added some decent longevity to the card and whilst it has some decent grunt, it should well last a good few years in someones PC. I do love the look of the card also but man, what were they thinking about the noise levels?

To those with one, nice one and I know you will enjoy it and sure, it is quite pricey but YOLO and all that, so crack on brothers.

I am looking forward to Navi and hopefully that isn't too far away and does kick some serious butt.

Shankly said earlier that if it was 10 fps faster, would it be a win or fail (or something like that) and I say a win then, as PC gamers, I think/feel the majority of us want smoother gaming and frames and sync technology do that.

Soldato
Shankly said earlier that if it was 10 fps faster, would it be a win or fail (or something like that) and I say a win then, as PC gamers, I think/feel the majority of us want smoother gaming and frames and sync technology do that.
Gamer Nexus did an excellent review of the frame times of the card
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3437-amd-radeon-vii-review-not-ready-for-launch

On average R7 has very low frametimes and through observation of their results slightly better then a 2080.
So, the R7 is going to give you a very smooth gameplay experience even if it doesn't flat out beat the 2080.

Another observation is that the heatsink cold plate used by AMD doesn't make good contact with the die. So I can only speculate that once one of AMD's vendors make their own HSF deisgn this will be improved on thus allowing for higher dynamic clock rates with just thermal paste. Which will in turn show higher frame rates.

Soldato
This is why we didn't see GDDr6 on R7, AMD is still promoting HBM and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I'm pretty sure we didn't see GDDR6 on the Radeon 7 because Vega Instinct use HBM2, and this is just a repurposed Instinct.

And I'm also fairly certain we won't see HBM on Navi if Navi is the midrange, lean and small die it's alleged to be.

Soldato
Great card (for AMD) ruined by Drivers atm. Cooler while better than a blower style cooler seems too restrictve, ie most flow goes towards the PCIE slot.

I want to see the performance with a better cooler, or EKWB and working drivers.

What makes me laugh is its doing 1080ti performance and loads of people are saying its rubbish. Oh so 1080ti is rubbish now? PLEASE.

Permabanned
Great card (for AMD) ruined by Drivers atm. Cooler while better than a blower style cooler seems too restrictve, ie most flow goes towards the PCIE slot.

I want to see the performance with a better cooler, or EKWB and working drivers.

What makes me laugh is its doing 1080ti performance and loads of people are saying its rubbish. Oh so 1080ti is rubbish now? PLEASE.

I don't know why they don't design coolers which throw the hot air directly out from the ports plate of the cards. Only the blower coolers do it but they lack additional fans and performance is still not satisfactory.

Imagine an M.2 drive sitting next to the card...

Back
Top Bottom