• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Permabanned
The problem with that is AMD set the voltages for a reason.
And you can also under volte Turing and get a good reduction in power
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9idtco/rtx_2080_downvolt_the_easy_way/

I don;t think such comparisons are valid though, the average user is not going to be tweaking like that and there is no guarnatee that lower voltages would work.

With 14nm Vega there was a lot of room when it came to tweaking I thought that might be because there was a wide variance going from chip to chip & they were playing it safe leaving it down to the user to find it's limitations after all they are meant to be enthusiast cards rather than mainstream cardss, The same is true for the V7.

Associate
Can barely overclock and next to an 1080 Ti they're around the same give or take. The Ti was a £700 card when released 11gb Vram is still sufficent for today and is 2 years old on 16nm whilst this is on 7nm.

This should be a £550 card. And yes the turing cards are also a fail.

Permabanned
It's not a fail but it's not a win.
It's clear there has been a serious engineering and architecture design problem within Amd for the last 3 years. It's very similar to bulldozer and piledriver, in that it should have been axed either at the first stage or the 2nd. Traditionally Amd always worked around by using a x2 cf chip, however as cf and sli support started to fade n game engines, that and the manufacturing expense and their inefficient gcn designs meant they hit a brick wall a few years back.

Just as turing is a stop gap, so is this V7.
The amd fans will defend it, the nvidia fans will joke upon it. As an lc64 user I''m mainly ****** with the crap launch with so many bugs and issues that need ironing out.

Money's been the constraint, Radeon R&D has been on a tight budget for years with Zen being AMD's focus (rightly so) & now things are getting better & more money is being pumped into the graphics card side of things we'll see better product but it doesn't just happen overnight, the knock on effect of the budget increase will gradually happen over the next few years. This has been discussed many times over this and other forums so we've all been aware of this & should be limiting our expectations over the short term.

Permabanned
Seems like a LC version would do wonders, though not for the price.

That's how they should have released this, with an AIO, Moving away from reference blowers is a good thing but they messed it up by putting too thin a heatsink on it causing the fans to ramp up too high making it loud. Once under water I imagine it'll be a completely different beast as we've seen with the Vega 64.

Soldato
I was interested to see how this release panned out and even though its out of my price range I think its a good release, could be cheaper but they'll anyway. Biggest mistake for me is no AIB versions and I still dont understand why the hell they spec cards with too much voltage it makes no sense to me at all

Soldato
Money's been the constraint, Radeon R&D has been on a tight budget for years with Zen being AMD's focus (rightly so) & now things are getting better & more money is being pumped into the graphics card side of things we'll see better product but it doesn't just happen overnight, the knock on effect of the budget increase will gradually happen over the next few years. This has been discussed many times over this and other forums so we've all been aware of this & should be limiting our expectations over the short term.

Totally agree with you on the budget and priority. However in the v7 scenario the bugs and problems highlight it just wasn't even ready for launch. Amd will grow stronger no doubt, but not for another 3-4 years.

Permabanned
Totally agree with you on the budget and priority. However in the v7 scenario the bugs and problems highlight it just wasn't even ready for launch. Amd will grow stronger no doubt, but not for another 3-4 years.

You're right it did need to be more prepared for launch, It will improve though, I imagine it'll be doing better than it is now in a few months time. Other the last few years Radeon have been doing quite well with their driver support so it's just a case of helping things along by using the report forms whenever we have an issue. https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966

Associate
Here is my view.
Do we really need to be faster though?
Say the Vega 7 was 10fps faster in every single game vs the 2080 is that really something to shout about?
Let's say the Vega 7 is now 10fps slower in every game would that be called a failure?

My point is the difference between the two GPUs is so little you really wouldn't know the difference between them. Unless you went looking for a GPU feature.

Either way you getting excellent gaming performance.

Probably the most logical thing i have read.

Associate
Personally I think it's a win for AMD they have shown they're capable of releasing a competitive card just a few months after Nvidiaaand to all those saying we had this performance 2 years ago with a 1080ti therefore the R7 is **** does that mean the 2080 is complete crap as well? Since it's taken Nvidia 2 years to beat their own card:rolleyes:

Indo find it annoying how they're in short supply once again which is extremely annoying but I don't expect the card to be around for long probably 6months imo

Soldato
Personally I think it's a win for AMD they have shown they're capable of releasing a competitive card just a few months after Nvidiaaand to all those saying we had this performance 2 years ago with a 1080ti therefore the R7 is **** does that mean the 2080 is complete crap as well? Since it's taken Nvidia 2 years to beat their own card:rolleyes:

Indo find it annoying how they're in short supply once again which is extremely annoying but I don't expect the card to be around for long probably 6months imo

Once again why exclude the tu102?

Soldato
some gamers some gamers are obsessed with fps 10 min frames for over a £100 + more no thanks:p:o
So now AMD have performance we had 2 years ago from Nvidia for the the same price.

to all those saying we had this performance 2 years ago with a 1080ti therefore the R7 is **** does that mean the 2080 is complete crap as well?
Yes. Anyone who bought one is a mug.

Man of Honour
My take from the reviews is that it's a bit of both but mostly leaning towards the fail side. It's a decent performance gain from a Vega 64 although I wouldn't think that it's enough to persuade Vega 64 owners to upgrade to one. The downsides are plenty. AMD still has nothing to compete against Nvidias top end and are considerably lagging behind. The price (like Nvidias cards) is a joke. Nobody on a budget looking to upgrade is going to buy one and due to the price I am not really sure who the card is aimed at. The noise is ridiculous although hopefully this can be fixed in the driver without having the card cook itself. The power draw is just crazy and is unacceptable when they should be looking at improving efficiency. If the only way they can get more performance is to increase the power to the card then they need to go back to the drawing board. They have turned their cpu side around and it's beyond time they did the same for the gpu side.

Soldato
So now AMD have performance we had 2 years ago from Nvidia for the the same price.

Yes. Anyone who bought one is a mug.

1080Ti was never an option for those of us who had Freesync. It has literally taken this long for Freesync users to have this level of performance with their monitors. Now that Nvidia had opened up access to Freesync users we finally have options.

Nvidia and AMD have been taking the **** with pricing for years. Regardless of what anyone says, the fact is AMD have a GPU that is a reasonably viable alternative for this price/perf level.

Associate
I'd like to see it properly undervolted, and preferably, the nitro+ version, if there ever is one.
A card with 16gb of expensive hbm2 memory, should not be able to compete pricepoint-wise, with a card with only 8gb of ddr6.
Which highlights the daft position we're in with current graphics cards.
That extra 8gb will probably not be a great deal of use for gaming at the moment but they couldn't redesign the MI50.
The development resources are presumably going on Navi - which they'll actually make money from.

Back
Top Bottom