• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Ti Owners Thread

Soldato
Got an Inno3D X2. Not the best cooler around, but it'll be going under water in a couple of months.

Not a great clocker to be honest... or more accurately, just heats up like crazy. Clocks up to ~1900, but typically runs at ~90C with fan at 100% (stock volts, +100 on core clock). Sits at 1900 in games and heaven, but drops down to ~1800 in firestrike stress test.

All of this is with an open case as well :| I've got decent enough airflow, but it can only get worse with a closed case. At least it was fairly cheap (£650).

Seems that I get better performance by keeping the power limit at 100%, or even dropping down to 95%. No artifacts or lockups (yet) at +120 on the core clock, and temps stay a few degrees lower, leading to less throttling. It mostly stays at 1920Mhz now. Might be a good sign for when it goes under water. Perhaps the TIM / GPU connection is a bit crappy? Or is the Inno3D X2 cooler really this bad?

Soldato
Seems that I get better performance by keeping the power limit at 100%, or even dropping down to 95%. No artifacts or lockups (yet) at +120 on the core clock, and temps stay a few degrees lower, leading to less throttling. It mostly stays at 1920Mhz now. Might be a good sign for when it goes under water. Perhaps the TIM / GPU connection is a bit crappy? Or is the Inno3D X2 cooler really this bad?

Doesn't sound like a great cooler. My MSI Ti is max around 73-74c at 2012-2025mhz even in this weather with auto fan profile.

Soldato
Doesn't sound like a great cooler. My MSI Ti is max around 73-74c at 2012-2025mhz even in this weather with auto fan profile.
It's not the best cooler design, but it shouldn't be this bad. Only twin fan, but plenty of heat pipes. I suspect poor contact between the GPU and cooler. I guess I'll see when I take the cooler off to add a waterblock. I'll just have to be careful with it for a few months.

Seems to perform well enough with a 90% power limit tho... Same clocks as at 120%. I might try under volting it.

Associate
Hey guys, just got my 1080ti yesterday. It's an evga sc2, and core OC is +45 (boosts to 2000/1987) and mem OC is +800, stable. Is that a good overclock?

Soldato
My mates just got one, Aorus non extreme.

We played about with the Aorus engine. Utter rubbish. Card would crash in OC and gaming mode.

With afterburner, we simply slid up the power, temp and voltage sliders to the right.

The card goes to 2000 and stays there rock sold. Custom fan curve to keep temps below 70.

We haven't added any core offset. Boost just does it.

Tempted to get one now!

Associate
My mates just got one, Aorus non extreme.

We played about with the Aorus engine. Utter rubbish. Card would crash in OC and gaming mode.

With afterburner, we simply slid up the power, temp and voltage sliders to the right.

The card goes to 2000 and stays there rock sold. Custom fan curve to keep temps below 70.

We haven't added any core offset. Boost just does it.

Tempted to get one now!

If you do try to get it 600.00 . The non extreme was the better of the two. Gigabyte utilities always suck.

Soldato
Welp, very late to the game as I was intending on skipping the 1080 generation and upgrading my 980 ti to a 2080 ti, however nvidia are taking the cake so I've picked up a second hand EVGA 1080 ti SC2 for $500 here in SF. I'm going to sell my EVGA 980 ti FTW for likely $200-$250 going off the current market. Listed at $270 and already have a few bites.

I'm a bit miffed having to upgrade and at such a cost this late into the game just because nvidia have gotten beyond greedy now. Either way, mark me down as a 1080 ti owner :)

I'm gaming at 1440p 60hz.

Soldato

I'm gaming at 1440p 60hz.

Welcome to the party. The 1080ti is a great card. I got mine on launch day (sold my 980ti to offset some of the cost)

It's a great card & will continue to run pretty much anything for a good few years to come. The 2080ti pricing is a joke, but then all new hardware seems to be going that way.

Soldato
Welcome to the party. The 1080ti is a great card. I got mine on launch day (sold my 980ti to offset some of the cost)

It's a great card & will continue to run pretty much anything for a good few years to come. The 2080ti pricing is a joke, but then all new hardware seems to be going that way.

Aye, it's a real shame, I always skip a generation and have done for years, 580ti, 780ti, 980ti and was hoping to do the same time this... I just can't justify the likely cost of the after market cards like EVGA or MSI being £1,500 or there abouts. £1,200 for a reference ti is just stupid money. I'd like to wish nvidia will be bitten in the arse by their pricing choices but we all know those of us that are upset are barely going to make a dent in their sales if we don't buy them. So I guess it's just a thing we'll have to get used to.

As for the 1080 ti @ 1440p, I agree, it's going to give me headroom for a good couple of years at least. The 980ti has only started to show signs of age in the last 12 months with less than a handful of titles resulting in me dropping a setting here and there down to get a steady 60fps. I game on a PC for ultra settings at 60+ fps, so if I need a 1080 ti to do so, then I've got to. I look forward to seeing what I can throw at the card!

That and it will compliment my 'newish' 8700k with a tasty overclock upgrade over my old 3570k lol

Soldato
I was hesitant paying for the 1080ti reference card direct from Nvidia when I had to add the cost of a waterblock & backplate adding another £150 to it.
Glad I did though, the thing that pushed me was the additional memory, as my 980ti was hitting its 6gb limit in shadow of mordor.
Now tomb raider is using 10gb+ but looks fab! :D

Associate
Hi guys,

Im having some issues with my pc I bought the other day so before I return it to the vendor
maybe you have some additional ideas/inputs I could try.

PC:
PSU 1000W corsair
aorus gaming 7 mobo
32 gb ram gskill 3000mhz
I7 8086k
aorus 1080ti xtreme in SLI
Fractal 36 water cooling

Did zero clocking just installed OS.
Here is where the party starts.

Furmark runs without any issues.
3dMark gives BSOD + Bad pool caller 1 sec after the image appears.
Heaven benchmark runs but crashes.
Every game I run it just freezes and returns to windows.

So I thought the PSU wasn`t good enough but then I stress tested both proc and gpu at the same time
for over 30mins and everything was peachy. Proc temp didnt go above 70 and upper gtx was at 75 degrees,
bottom one was around 80tish so this shouldn't be a problem.

Once I hit debug mode on nvidia control panel everything works like a charm.

I tried reinstalling OS several times, tried several versions of nvidia drivers.
But without debug mode everything crashes.

Which is weird because when i turn off debug mode and go to furmark he uses 99.99% of both gpus at the same time
without any issues so I don`t think there is something faulty with the GPU`s as well.

Event Viewer says only Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Do you have any ideas what should I try before returning?

Soldato
Decided to try and OC my Aorus 1080 Ti. Using MSI Afterburner managed to get Core +50 and Memory +200

Then I tried Core +75 and 3DMark Time Spy kept crashing :/ Is my card not a good one for OC'ing?

Soldato
Decided to try and OC my Aorus 1080 Ti. Using MSI Afterburner managed to get Core +50 and Memory +200

Then I tried Core +75 and 3DMark Time Spy kept crashing :/ Is my card not a good one for OC'ing?

Depends. Boost is an auto oc.

Use oc scanner in afterburner beta.

What clocks are you getting once the gfx has heated up?

Associate
Hey guys, just got my 1080ti yesterday. It's an evga sc2, and core OC is +45 (boosts to 2000/1987) and mem OC is +800, stable. Is that a good overclock?
yes! That's quite nice!

I have the sc2 hybrid and run my memory at +500 for 6003mhz and +70 on the core for 2025 boost with 120 power target.

What is your memory at? I thought the memory couldn't go above 6k mhz

Back
Top Bottom