TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
Something I have been thinking about this morning.

I was watching a very good YouTube video this morning, motorcycle related fortnine - KLR destruction, or something like that. I really enjoyed it and thought to myself it's better than anything I had seen on regular TV for some time.

Watching youtYou, Netflix has now become the norm for us, and I thought to myself, actually how much live television do I even watch?

Well, a few seconds whilst my TV boots up it's YouTube app, or Netflix.

Then I thought about the TV licence, which is what £160 a year now? And I'm starting to think, that is becoming an expensive few seconds of live TV I'm not even paying attention to.

Its not the money that you save, it's the time you would waste watching trash

Is my TV licence becoming like a gym membership when I never go?

It's something the wife and myself are going to think about over the next monrh, and try and actively monitor how much live TV we actually watch.

So my questions I guess, are any of you thinking the same, or, have any of you already made the jump?

If so, any regrets? And issues you ran into? What alternatives do you have?

And finally, if someone were to move away from live TV, what legally, would have you to prove, disprove, or otherwise do to be on the right side of the law whilst not paying a TV licence?

No regrets

Been without a TV licence for years now.
As said. It's basically 2x the price Of Netflix. Totally not worth it.

I suspect it won't exist in a few years as it will either have to be paid for by tax or die . It's too expensive to suffer massive audience drops which is happening

Getting rid of live TV is a positive .
No longer do you just 'see what's on'.
Never watch soaps, never watch trash TV because it just isn't there.

There are enough series and things to do in life that mean it is no loss.

Soldato

I was watching a very good YouTube video this morning, motorcycle related fortnine - KLR destruction, or something like that. I really enjoyed it and thought to myself it's better than anything I had seen on regular TV for some time.

Watching youtYou, Netflix has now become the norm for us, and I thought to myself, actually how much live television do I even watch?

Then I thought about the TV licence, which is what £160 a year now? And I'm starting to think, that is becoming an expensive few seconds of live TV I'm not even paying attention to.

It's something the wife and myself are going to think about over the next monrh, and try and actively monitor how much live TV we actually watch.

So my questions I guess, are any of you thinking the same, or, have any of you already made the jump?

And finally, if someone were to move away from live TV, what legally, would have you to prove, disprove, or otherwise do to be on the right side of the law whilst not paying a TV licence?

Binned mine nearly 2 years ago now and I don't missed it. I haven't watched catch up in 6 months which was only 4OD but the unskippable ads are getting unbearable now, also being longer. What I noticed the last time I watched something on 4OD the checky sods have removed the countdown timer when the ads are being played. Now you have no clue how long they are on for.

Only watch YouTube videos now which are relating to my studying or personal improvement, Netflix I have on and off, only pay when a new series is on I want to watch then I cancel it straight after. Dont want go get into a habit of paying for something I dont really use or tempted to binge on for hours when I could be using my spare time more productively.

Soldato
I suspect it won't exist in a few years as it will either have to be paid for by tax or die . It's too expensive to suffer massive audience drops which is happening

Problem is they might force everyone to pay for it via council tax, similar to what they did in Germany. Then it's a total PITA and you have to use loopholes to "opt out".

Soldato
being absolutely hunted at work with tv licencing atm to the tune of 2 letters a week.

not a biggy as they just go straight into the shredder but seriously, 2 letters a week. postage envelope stamp printing costs. how much are they spending to chase us like this?

nice to know your money is being well spent

Caporegime
being absolutely hunted at work with tv licencing atm to the tune of 2 letters a week.

not a biggy as they just go straight into the shredder but seriously, 2 letters a week. postage envelope stamp printing costs. how much are they spending to chase us like this?

nice to know your money is being well spent
Have you had the “visit approved” letter with the fancy printed “stamp” and “signature” yet? Those are my favourites. I’d happily pay if they weren’t conducting themselves like a bunch of goons who will send the lads ‘round all the time. Toothless sharks.

Soldato

No regrets here. We us Amazon and Netflix with Amazon channels like ITV+ and Discovery. The few good things on BBC like Luther and Doctor Who are on Netflix.

Soldato
Have you had the “visit approved” letter with the fancy printed “stamp” and “signature” yet? Those are my favourites. I’d happily pay if they weren’t conducting themselves like a bunch of goons who will send the lads ‘round all the time. Toothless sharks.
Withdrawing there right of access stops the visit approved letters. Although you might still get the other stupid letters they like to send out.

Soldato
Some people just seem to get letters none stop no matter what they do :/

They are toothless though. Just never speak to them or let them in, don't even answer the door.

Last edited:

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I too have cancelled my TV license recently. None of us no longer watch live tv anymore. It's either youtube, netflix or even torrents :p

Hopefully i dont get all these nosense letters through the post, as i did mention it over the phone when a rang up last Monday. Even if these letters comes through they'll be going straight to the bin

Soldato
I still regularly get a bundle of 6 of each type of letter they send out (house used to be multiple occupancy)

I did try to contact them once but couldn’t get through so sod it , I wonder how much it has cost them for the 1000 or so letters they’ve sent me over the years

Soldato
Since buying my property about 6 months ago, I’ve not paid for a license as I don’t watch any live TV or use BBC iPlayer etc.

I’m getting letters through the post on a bi-weekly basis and I did have someone come to my house - he probably assumed I wasn’t in, which I wasn’t at the time, as he had filled out a “Sorry we missed you” leaflet and dropped it through my door - he didn’t even knock/ring the bell (I have a smart doorbell with camera).

The letters I receive are clearly coming under an automated system - as they seem to follow a cycle (Welcome to the neighbourhood! You need a license -> Come on now, you need a license -> We’re confident you need a license, please pay! -> We’ll send someone over if you’re not careful! -> Listen here you little ****, pay for a license -> Welcome to the Neighbourhood!...)

I’ve been avoiding reporting to them that I don’t need a license because I’ve heard they get more aggressive with their letters/visits - what are your views on this?

Soldato
look forward to the day they visit our office :)

they'll be kidnapped forced to apply for a taxi badge and put out to work

Back
Top Bottom