Shouldn't laptops be taking over now?

Associate

OK, we're getting there.

Now swap the TN monitor for an IPS, the single NVMe for 2 x 500 for RAID 0, a mid-range 2080 to match the performance of the notebook card, how about a mid range case and not some el cheapo case because the laptops case is a specifically designed for purpose item and see how much closer on price this actually is?

actually, it looks like the 980w 1500va ups linked in the original spec could run the computer for ~1h
i would link the page, but it is the rainforest, and they have a competing product :p

How about a link to the manufacturers page?

I've looked for a UPS from APC to provide a 100% load @ 980W for 1 hour and the minimum price is around £3,500.

Calculator here.

Edit: 980w needs changing to the required power for your above build I was still thinking of the first build you posted, my bad.

Edit2: 600W for an hour is still over £1,500.

Edit3: The inclusion of speaker was cute. ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Now swap the TN monitor for an IPS
is yours an ips? not mentioned.
the single NVMe for 2 x 500 for RAID 0
extra £40
a mid-range 2080 to match the performance of the notebook card
performance is probably better than the notebook card because of better nvidia overboost feature due to cooler. so moot point really.
how about a mid range case and not some el cheapo case
it'll run fine in that case.

I've looked for a UPS from APC to provide a 100% load @ 980W for 1 hour and the minimum price is around £3,500.
Calculator here.
well, the full system power consumption would be in the region of 600w for the first spec, i used 980w as an example.
the full system power consumption for the 2nd spec would be in the region of 400w.
the apc linked would provide 20mins worth of juice according to the specs.
don't really know why i've continued to pander to your notion that a desktop has to have a upc. 99.9% of desktops don't. granted 100% of laptops do by default. but that's also included in the price you pay. :confused:

Associate
This is the closest I can get;

I've kept the UPS you selected even though APC state it is not up to the job.

I've included win 10 pro as that was included in the laptop price.

I've matched the ram to the laptop ram.

I've included 2x 970 evos to match the laptop spec.

and changed the monitor to an IPS G-sync display.

But kept the cheapo case.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,768.65 (includes shipping: £15.90)

This does not take in to account the warranty on the laptop either.​

Man of Honour
I've matched the ram to the laptop ram.
so paying more for worse performing ram :confused:

would get this monitor instead: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...sync-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-140-ac.html
jfyi, freesync now works with gsync on desktops too. laptops never had the gsync chip, even when they were advertised as "gsync".

i'd rather get that for a fiver :)

This does not take in to account the warranty on the laptop either.
and all the parts have warranty ranging from 2-10 years. again, moot point really.

Associate
Fair enough make those adjustments to the cost except win 10, let's stick with legit retailers. And compare costs again.

Man of Honour
Unless you want to use a UK based company to demonstrate your claim,
ok why not change the goal posts again then, now that i've proven that the beast of the clevo is much more expensive than a desktop equivalent :)
as we get closer and closer to the bottom of the barrel, laptops will naturally be cheaper than getting a desktop. you might as well have chosen a cheap laptop for £400 and i'd have no comeback lol :p

Fair enough make those adjustments to the cost except win 10, let's stick with legit retailers. And compare costs again.
do you wanna do it? also my legit retailer gets me win 10 pro retail for £30. i can't be bothered it's gone on far too long and i've had my fun :p need to go to work now. ikr. bloody work.

I've kept the UPS you selected even though APC state it is not up to the job.
don't really know why i've continued to pander to your notion that a desktop has to have a upc. 99.9% of desktops don't. granted 100% of laptops do by default. but that's also included in the price you pay. :confused:

tbh, i think we need to agree to disagree. there's a time and place for everything, gaming 'laptops' included. in inverted commas because it'll never be on one's lap. lol.
some people may like the relative portability a gaming laptop offers over its desktop counterpart, and prefer that they've only have one system rather than two.
to be honest, most of the gaming laptops like that clevo will never be run on anything without a power supply and a desk. it's waayyy too heavy to be lugging it around day in, day out.
some people will prefer desktops because it is relatively cheaper in comparison to a gaming laptop.

personally i'd much rather have a desktop with all the screen space (32" screen) and a proper kb+m and speakers.
and then use an ultralight laptop for all-day out-of-office usage - which i do.

again, everyone has different needs/wants, and how that's accomplished varies from person to person.

have a nice day! :p i'll be back at midnight, so post away!

Associate
Laptops ARE taking over for the most part. The only people buying desktops are gamer's, value oriented consumers, business users that require no portability, and those who need massive power for things like engineering applications. In places I've worked we deploy 80%+ laptops, and all laptop users get a dock with a couple screens.

Here's what we deploy in a few placed I've worked:
  1. Aerospace Company - Everybody gets a laptop with dock and two or three screens, standard is a 15w TDP dual or quad core ultrabook (HP Elitebook 840, HP ZBook 14), and engineers get 45W TDP quad core laptop with GPU (HP ZBook 15). Certain users and shared workstations get beastly desktops along with their laptop for running simulations, etc (HP Z Workstation).
  2. Engineering Firm - Same as above.
  3. Manufacturing Company - Thin clients on manufacturing floor, laptops for almost everybody else. Desktops used for shared workstations like test lab and surface mount machines, etc.
  4. Satellite Observation Facility - Also similar to the above, almost everybody gets a laptop (Standard is Dell Latitude 7000 series 15w TDP, and engineering grade is Dell Precision 7000 series 45w TDP) and certain engineers, scientists or shared stations also get a desktop.

Associate
would get this monitor instead: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...sync-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-140-ac.html
jfyi, freesync now works with gsync on desktops too. laptops never had the gsync chip, even when they were advertised as "gsync".

This freesync monitor does not support G-Sync.

G-Sync was never a chip or do you think Nvidia accidentally put G-Sync chips in the freesync that support G-Sync?

OcUK list their monitors with f/sync that support g/sync here.

However, I kept swapped out the configuration to that monitor anyway.

I swapped the RAM to the 3000 you pointed out was a lower cost for more performance.

I swapped the GPU for the lower cost GPU used in your configuration above.

Total: £2,493.75 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

+£100 (£120 inc VAT) for OcUK to build totals: £2,613.75

This does not account for delivery costs either.

So to match the spec of my laptop you need to spend an additional £43.75 + delivery costs.

The only distinct advantage is the screen real estate, however the laptop can be plugged into any screen anywhere on the planet after chucking into a backpack.

If you agree that the spec list is the closest we can get, can we also agree that the desktop wins for screen real estate and the laptop wins for price?

Soldato
Desktop GSYNC was a hardware solution that required a custom scaler module in the display. Now it also works without the scaler by supporting freesync displays, but not all of them of course.

So no, it was never just *a* chip. Though you not really making much of a point in saying that.

Associate
Desktop GSYNC was a hardware solution that required a custom scaler module in the display. Now it also works without the scaler by supporting freesync displays, but not all of them of course.

So no, it was never just *a* chip. Though you not really making much of a point in saying that.

So are Nvidia misselling laptops that claim to have G-Sync?

Edit: It currently support 12 out 400 freesync displays.

Man of Honour
This freesync monitor does not support G-Sync.
G-Sync was never a chip or do you think Nvidia accidentally put G-Sync chips in the freesync that support G-Sync?
OcUK list their monitors with f/sync that support g/sync here.
jfyi gsync is a module. https://www.digitalstorm.com/nvidia-g-sync.asp
only 2 months ago did nvidia open it up to freesync to use variable refresh without the module - for 1000 and 2000 series gpu only: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidia-brings-g-sync-support-to-freesync-monitors/

The only distinct advantage is the screen real estate,
the other distinct advantage is, i get to keep all my peripherals when i upgrade. granted there is MXM for gpu. but if you need to change the cpu. it's probably going to be a whole new laptop

not quite.
Nvidia brought G-Sync support to gaming laptops in 2015, delivering all of the benefits of a G-Sync monitor to a laptop display. Interestingly, Nvidia makes use of its G-Sync tech without relying on the same chip needed in stand-alone PC monitors, instead makes use of the graphics card to control output and avoid screen tears or input lag.
basically they've just enabled what they've always done for laptops onto the desktop environment. gsync for laptops never had the gsync chip
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/nvidia-g-sync-faq

ok back to work. back in a couple hours :x

Associate
Thanks for the G-Sync info. I never knew that.

the other distinct advantage is, i get to keep all my peripherals when i upgrade. granted there is MXM for gpu. but if you need to change the cpu. it's probably going to be a whole new laptop

Why would my LGA I7-9700K not be upgradable? Oh, and I get to keep my G900 too. :)

Soldato

Not at all. Quick history:

2009, VESA added Adaptivesync to the eDP standard for mobile displays with the original intention being to allow variable refresh rates to optimise battery usage.

In 2012, nVidia released GSYNC. At the time, GSYNC for desktop was a software + hardware solution requiring a custom module in the monitor. GSYNC for mobile didn't - it used adaptivesync instead. I dont think nVidia ever really separated the two, but i like to for clarity since they are two different solutions to the same problem.

In 2013, VESA added adaptivesync to displayport 1.2a as an option feature.

in 2015 AMD released freesync, a software+hardware solution using adaptivesync technology which didnt require a custom hardware module...

2019, nvidia added freesync support to GSYNC.

It currently support 12 out 400 freesync displays.
That's certified displays. It does work with more but they aren't certified and there are restrictions, limited refresh rate ranges etc.

Man of Honour
Why would my LGA I7-9700K not be upgradable? Oh, and I get to keep my G900 too. :)
yes, you could upgrade to the 9900k but that's about it, without significant physical and bios modding. and since you were adding build costs - sounds pretty two-faced lol.
for example: all the versions of the clevo p870 http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/p870xm-p870tm-upgrade-chart-parts-list.813182/
whereas if it was a desktop, one could conceivably just switch the cpu or mobo (or both) or gpu out etc and have an upgrade and be done with it.
(say if one wasn't impressed with the 9700k and wanted to change to the ryzen 3000 or intel 10th gen...whenever those come out lol)
not to mention MXM isn't fully standardised. point you to this thread on the very same subforum: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...is-sold-gt72-gt80-with-mxm-graphics.18746748/
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=279782.0

so yes, whilst a full build now may cost similar to your current laptop, come upgrade time (whenever that may be), any upgrades would likely be considerably cheaper.
as one could potentially reuse all the peripherals (monitor, speakers, kb, even the g900 too :p) but with a laptop, the whole carcass is potentially not reusable.

just to quite from the same NBR thread:
I'm thinking about buying a P870DM and maybe at some point in the future upgrading it to a P870TM how much would it cost?

Consider them two different models. Almost nothing internal is reusable. I feel pretty confident to say the cost of the barebone TM (which includes a GPU), less resale of the complete DM(1) is cheaper now and will remain cheaper well into the future

Mine needed a Vbios update.

Dang, that’s what I’m afraid of. I found a good deal on a used 1070, so I may just have to buy an external flasher and soic clip to flash it.

+£100 (£120 inc VAT) for OcUK to build
should get ocuk to upgrade too... :p

Last edited:
Associate
yes, you could upgrade to the 9900k but that's about it, without significant physical and bios modding. and since you were adding build costs - sounds pretty two-faced lol.
for example: all the versions of the clevo p870 http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/p870xm-p870tm-upgrade-chart-parts-list.813182/
whereas if it was a desktop, one could conceivably just switch the cpu or mobo (or both) or gpu out etc and have an upgrade and be done with it.
(say if one wasn't impressed with the 9700k and wanted to change to the ryzen 3000 or intel 10th gen...whenever those come out lol)
not to mention MXM isn't fully standardised. point you to this thread on the very same subforum: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...is-sold-gt72-gt80-with-mxm-graphics.18746748/
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=279782.0

Did you not notice my nick all over that thread? I'm was possibly the main proponent in the UK pushing MSI in regards to their advertised promise of upgradable MXM GPUs that they reneged (@natarie) upon.

Please note my sig in regards to this.

so yes, whilst a full build now may cost similar to your current laptop, come upgrade time (whenever that may be), any upgrades would likely be considerably cheaper.
as one could potentially reuse all the peripherals (monitor, speakers, kb, even the g900 too :p) but with a laptop, the whole carcass is potentially not reusable.

just to quite from the same NBR thread:

should get ocuk to upgrade too...

Interesting points. Except I do not have a P870.

Agreed socket 1151 is at the end of it's life span next gen will require a new mobo for both laptops and desktops.

My choice is to have both, desktop and laptop. My last desktop I7-4790K and GTX 980Ti was outperformed by the AORUS X5V6 laptop I got - review here.

The Clevo I presently have is purely a stopgap between selling my old desktop and old AORUS and AORUS launching it's 17" range of this gen/next gen laptops and building another desktop.

However, if a Clevo (or the other brands that feature socketed CPUs and MXM GPUs) is purchased at the beginning of a socket lifespan the upgrade options are very similar to a desktop.

So my AORUS X5V7 sold for £1,250, my new laptop cost £2,470 total cost to upgrade the display (was 4K 60Hz), the CPU (was I7-7820HK), RAM (was DDR4 2400), the GPU (was GTX 1070), and double the NVMe capacity and upgrade to the latest model (was 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO) comes in at £1,220.

How much would it cost to do the same with a desktop?

I accept you can more easily upgrade CPU generations at a lower cost with a desktop as mobo replacements are a much simpler situation but can you achieve such great upgrade options at anywhere near the same costs?

Edit, apologies I missed addressing the following points;

This is free and straightforwards.

Dang, that’s what I’m afraid of. I found a good deal on a used 1070, so I may just have to buy an external flasher and soic clip to flash it.

This is in regards to unlocking the same watts as the desktop card, not a simply GPU upgrade. Feel free to go back and read the thread in detail. (And from the benchmarks that have used this method to increase the watts there appears to be little benefit. Even more strangely the laptop 1070 was a better GPU than the desktop card with simply lower clocks).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Did you not notice my nich all over that thread?
no sorry. i think you may have way too high a self-rating on your own importance and ability to stand out. tbh i didn't even see it was you that posted the thread until i've gone back for a second look ;)

Please note my sig in regards to this.
don't have signatures on to keep the forum looking tidy :)

Interesting points. Except I do not have a P870.
no one said you did. highlighted for effect below
for example: all the versions of the clevo p870

However, if a Clevo (or the other brands that feature socketed CPUs and MXM GPUs) is purchased at the beginning of a socket lifespan the upgrade options are very similar to a desktop.
well not really, considering that 2500k (or i7 920...lol) owners can still upgrade their bits, and keep their peripherals if they want. can't really say that for an owner of an 8-10 year old laptop though.

How much would it cost to do the same with a desktop?
considering that one wouldn't need to change the peripherals and case/psu and the like, then an upgrade from
• 15.6” 120Hz G-SYNC 1920x1080
• i7 6820HK
• NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
• 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD
• 1TB HDD
• 16GB 2400MHz DDR4
• Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
to your current clevo wouldn't cost as much.

parts that changed:
Total: £1,508.90 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

haven't sold any parts from the theoretical previous system. windows is transferable.

Man of Honour
This is free and straightforwards.
wait, you want an end-user to flash vbios and then on-the-other-hand want to add build costs onto the equation?
sounds pretty two-faced lol.

This is in regards to unlocking the same watts as the desktop card, not a simply GPU upgrade. Feel free to go back and read the thread in detail.
noted :) but i think mistaken.

this was the prior post for context:
Alright, I have all of the components together minus a GPU, which I am about to purchase. I just have a quick question before I purchase one. Will a GPU (1070 or 1080) out of a P870DM2/3 or a P870KM boot in a P870TM? I know the cards are physically the same, but from what I have read, it seems the vBios may be different? I just want to make sure the card I purchase will boot, as I do not have a spare machine to flash vBios or an external flasher.

Associate
no sorry. i think you may have way too high a self-rating on your own importance and ability to stand out. tbh i didn't even see it was you that posted the thread until i've gone back for a second look ;)

Nope, maybe I expect other to have a high attention to detail also?

well not really, considering that 2500k (or i7 920...lol) owners can still upgrade their bits, and keep their peripherals if they want. can't really say that for an owner of an 8-10 year old laptop though.

People keep tech that long?

considering that one wouldn't need to change the peripherals and case/psu and the like, then an upgrade from

to your current clevo wouldn't cost as much.

parts that changed:
Total: £1,508.90 (includes shipping: £0.00)

haven't sold any parts from the theoretical previous system. windows is transferable.

Yep, that's reasonable, you get to keep your dated case, PSU, etc...

I also suspect your resale value on the parts to sell would be more than the £289 higher price in the desktop upgrade but not by a huge amount. So yes, owning a desktop is a cheaper solution. (You didn't need to upgrade the PSU or UPS for this new equipment?)

Associate
noted :) but i think mistaken.

this was the prior post for context:

Go to the retailer you linked to previously and select upgrade. The option to upgrade the P870 GPU to a 1070 is there without the need to do anything more than a vBIOS flash.

I think this was established by a member here, I can't remember his nick here but on NBR he is hacktrix2006.

wFYkdRL.png

"their own systems" refers to Clevos.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nope, maybe I expect other to have a high attention to detail also?
well no, we should. but if you think every post people are going to go research what else the poster has written etc then well i guess you just don't get the internet

People keep tech that long?
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/new-to-pc-gaming-upgrade-advice.172/
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/general-hardware.8/
tl;dr answer: yes. lol.

Yep, that's reasonable, you get to keep your dated case, PSU, etc...
i've still got my 7 year old case (and psu running in a separate system) so yes. perfectly reasonable.

I also suspect your resale value on the parts to sell would be more than the £289 higher price in the desktop upgrade but not by a huge amount.
if going by previous ebay and member's market prices, net (ie after ebay/paypal fees) would be in the region of £600-700. unless £300-400 isn't a "huge amount"

think we've had this discussion already?

The option to upgrade the P870 GPU to a 1070 is there without the need to do anything more than a vBIOS flash.
8GB GDDR5; NVidia GTX 1070; 2048 CUDA; N17E-G2; 86x105mm; MXM 3.1; w/ X-bracket, screws, thermal pads, ICD7 [£560] ex vat!

also, how much did you pay for the previous laptop. quite interested to know.

Back
Top Bottom