Analogue Mega Sg

Associate
Strong first impression from the Mega SG.
Similar build quality, packaging etc to the Super NT. Good weight to the console (might just be a fraction bigger in the hand than the NT). Extras included, Master System adapter, SegaCD spacer etc all of a similar presentation.
Been a couple of firmware updates since their initial build, so popped the latest on, and gave it a quick spin for an hour.

Only tried a few carts, no PAL or US yet (have to get them out of storage), just a few early Japanese classics like Strider, Ghouls, Super Shinobi etc and all seem fine. Everdrive works fine as well, though have noticed one or two things with a few titles that might need to be directly compared to the original hardware when I get a chance (some off music glitches in Thunderforce III, and Gynoug), but might just be the old brain letting me down, but there is a history of rolled out fixes put in place by Analogue for previous systems so will have to check it out for certain.

Good opening shot though, and the M30 pads really look and feel the part, with the small footprint of the wireless adapters take nothing away from the design of the console. Paired up with a Japanese cartridge, the console really looks the business.

Associate
Yep...shipped early so showed up Friday after shipping Weds evening, which is not bad going for over the Atlantic.
Another impressive effort from Analog though so far, though I have to do a little bit more side-by-side comparison with real hardware, as one or two titles seem to have slight issues, but could be imagining things, or frankly, the difference in display might just be exagerrating some graphical techniques.

Looks the business with a Japanese cartridge though, a fitting update to the sexiest looking console ever.

20190323-131214.jpg

Man of Honour
That thing is so cool. All the reviews so far are raving about it. I've always been in to my CRT's but I really love Analogue's products and might buy in to it. The pads are cool too.

Soldato
Well mine turned up today, totally wasn't expecting it. Very impressed so far, though I've only scratched the surface.

Two things of note:

1. It doesn't play the intro sound on startup (might need an update).

2. In Ghouls and Ghosts some of the sound effects sound slightly off. Not sure if it's my memory playing tricks but I will look into it. My SuperNT hasn't shown this issue so far with any games.

Soldato
The "Jailbreak" firmware was released yesterday which added support for loading ROMs from the following systems via SD card:
  • Genesis/Megadrive
  • Master System and SG-1000
  • Game Gear
  • ColecoVision
Available to download here

Soldato
The "Jailbreak" firmware was released yesterday which added support for loading ROMs from the following systems via SD card:
  • Genesis/Megadrive
  • Master System and SG-1000
  • Game Gear
  • ColecoVision
Available to download here

I get the want for something like this, but they put all that effort in to make it run original carts for this to happen almost instantly.

I guess they knew it would, why put a card slot on otherwise? What is the cars slot "supposed" to be for? Not actually sure myself

Soldato
Official firmware updates. Jailbroke my Super NT, it's great.

Silly fools ;) tbh they probably sell more of these based on this being a thing.

Careful though folks, don't think such talk is allowed here could be wrong

I really want one, just the import taxes etc make it that bit more expensive and not sure I can justify it

Soldato
Associate
TBH.....I'd factor in the duty cost if evaluating whether or not to go for it.
Having said that, I've still to receive FedEx's inevitable letter, so fingers crossed, but I am expecting it at any point so it won't be a surprise.
Got caught with the Super NT pre-delivery when that launched (but IIRC the was via DHL, but cant be 100%).
It's not cheap by any means, but I've had more fun with console over the last couple weeks than with any of the modern stuff.

Associate
Mine arrives on Wednesday. I got a Japanese style as that is the mega drive I had back in 1991. Can’t wait, have an ever drive already and about 30 master system games ready for it. Might end up selling my mega drive and master system that I have now

Associate
My unit arrived looks cool but!

Master system games won’t run at all. And I don’t seem to have hardcore/ ultracore on my unit

Back
Top Bottom