Analogue Mega Sg

Soldato
Loving my Super nt and my pre-order is in for a Jap mega sg. Not fussed so much about the 32x, I can see how it would be a lot of work for only a small gain. The fact it will connect to Mega Cds is pretty good, though these must be getting really old. I'd be worried about the lasers giving up the ghost.

In preparation I've started to build up my mega drive game collection. Beyond the Sonics what are the must have MD games, bearing in mind some SNES versions may be better (or worse)?

Soldato
It works out to be around £190 including delivery to the UK, not sure if there will be additional import taxes once it actually arrives.

Man of Honour
OP
Loving my Super nt and my pre-order is in for a Jap mega sg. Not fussed so much about the 32x, I can see how it would be a lot of work for only a small gain. The fact it will connect to Mega Cds is pretty good, though these must be getting really old. I'd be worried about the lasers giving up the ghost.

In preparation I've started to build up my mega drive game collection. Beyond the Sonics what are the must have MD games, bearing in mind some SNES versions may be better (or worse)?

Love mine too and the jail break is really simple and opens up a whole world of ease. Can't wait for one of these, will also pre-order today.

Soldato
It works out to be around £190 including delivery to the UK, not sure if there will be additional import taxes once it actually arrives.

There will be taxes to pay on top. I had to pay an additional £39 to DHL for my Super Nt.

Edit - Hmm I've not considered jailbreaking... will look into it.

This weekend im going to re-cut my teeth on Super Probotector and Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I used to be awesome at these. Really should have kept my old collections but who knew the Super Nt would breath new life into these games with HDMI and configurable res and screen options.

Waiting for the N64 version, I have unfinished business with killer instinct.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Retro gaming is becoming an expensive hobby it is true. I am lucky that I got in early so bought most of the boxes I wanted when they were sensible still but I like the ability to plug into a modern TV and get a high quality picture. I have a Framemeister but I still like the idea of no messing about. Just plug it in, connect a wireless controller and get a superb picture and perfect non emulation game experience.

Soldato
:( just play the 64 on rgb on a fuzzy crt and be happy with it! It's the same as trying to watch the Saturn pull 3D with squares instead of triangles...

(I love both consoles so this is a massively biased retro opinion)

Soldato
I think the N64 is one that needs most work as it looks crap even through Framemeister
I know its a dirty word but when you emulate the n64 on pc you can get some really nice sharp high res images out of it.
I assume because you have all that PC power able to upscale and filter the images. This is what the N64 mini needs to be able to reproduce if it ever happens but i'm not sure it will as the N64 is a bit of a pig to emulate and requires a bit more grunt.

Man of Honour
N64 by design had some anti aliasing applied internally. A couple of games had options to turn that filter off and it looked generally much better.

N64RBG mod can disable that, as can the N64HDMI mod. But you can sometimes disable it using action replay or gameshark codes.

Man of Honour
I think its the texture detail and polygon count which let it down. I never understood the hype for it at the time, maybe it was more gameplay over graphics like the Wii.

Man of Honour
OP
The reason why the N64 has dated more than other consoles is due to where the tech was at the time and how modern tech exposes it to an extent where it impacts things more than it does for other devices. We all know what Sonic looked like, put that on a HDMI 1080p display with a good quality up-scaling device and you still have the great game you recall but much sharper. Do the same with the N64 and those low count polygons and blurring that worked so well back in the day to make low rest 3D work on a CRT look terrible, no matter how well you upscale them. It was just at a period in time where 3D was becoming the future and Nintendo was trying new techniques to push that out to us consumers. In the day it was a fantastic machine with some of the greatest games, but today they do not always show themselves well when upscalled and run at 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom