• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
Without clogging up a Radeon VII thread with discussions on loop order, 2 quick things:

For all intents and purposes, coolant temperature will equalise across the entire loop, so you do not gain anything by trying to sandwich radiators between components. It just doesn't "work" like that with the thermal capabilities of air, water and copper. So run your loop order that is either the easiest to set up, maintain and looks the best.

As for your CPU temps, you've mounted it wrong/poorly or there was a massive air lock in the loop somewhere. No way should it hit 90 degrees just being the same loop with a Radeon VII. So I'd check you've mounted the CPU bock correctly, thermal paste is good and proper, loop properly bled. That being said if you can drop another radiator in there then perhaps do so just to give you some extra headroom and be able to run your fans nice and low.

Associate
Pump -> Gpu -> radiator 1 -> cpu -> radiator 2 -> pump ? OR
Pump -> Gpu -> Cpu -> Radiator 1 -> Radiator 2 -> pump
Or i've even seen
Pump -> Radiator 1 -> gpu -> radiator2 -> cpu -> Pump and
Pump -> Radiator 1 -> gpu -> cpu -> Radiator 2 -> Pump

I had same questions you do. I did read a lot across here, reddit, oc.net and all is the same "loop order does not matter, just build in the way it fits, and looks good to you", that's all. Don't forget that reservoir has to come before the pump, and don't forget to add a drain valve in the lowest part of your loop to make bleeding easier. One D5 is more than enough to pump trough two rads, even if they are very restrictive like mine, 2xLS360. I have another D5 laying around and I was going to add to the loop with a small housing only (no reservoir) but is not necessary.
Read about your rads, what RPM they like and set as necessary. Mine does not take any great benefit of any higher RPM than 900 or push/pull, so most of the time is at 750 and I still not convinced that cranking to the maximum would give me better temps, as xtremerigs says in their review.
Think about the airflow scheme, set your loop and be happy, if you keep in mind "oh, I might get better temps if I do top/side/bottom, push-pull, fan this, fan that" you'll never finished or be happy with it. If you want some more fresh info about it just PM me I might be able to help further.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had same questions you do. I did read a lot across here, reddit, oc.net and all is the same "loop order does not matter, just build in the way it fits, and looks good to you", that's all. Don't forget that pump has to come before reservoir (if not using a combo), and don't forget to add a drain valve in the lowest part of your loop to make bleeding easier. One D5 is more than enough to pump trough two rads, even if they are very restrictive like mine, 2xLS360. I have another D5 laying around and I was going to add to the loop with a small housing only (no reservoir) but is not necessary.
Read about your rads, what RPM they like and set as necessary. Mine does not take any great benefit of any higher RPM than 900 or push/pull, so most of the time is at 750 and I still not convinced that cranking to the maximum would give me better temps, as xtremerigs says in their review.
Think about the airflow scheme, set your loop and be happy, if you keep in mind "oh, I might get better temps if I do top/side/bottom, push-pull, fan this, fan that" you'll never finished or be happy with it. If you want some more fresh info about it just PM me I might be able to help further.
Thank you very much for that, that cleared my brain, I will bare that all in mind.

Associate
Thank you very much for that, that cleared my brain, I will bare that all in mind.
Just one other thing to bear in mind with your 2700X is what voltage are you using? Over 1.4V and water won't cut it. 1.38V is the max for 12nm. I did a cinebench run with mine when it first arrived, had to brake the 2K lol. 4.4ghz @ 1.45v and the temps where just ok ish to get a few numbers. Very much not 24/7 use lol.

Associate
Blimey 60mm thick that's impressive :eek:. A D5 will sort you out a treat there. So mine is pump / CPU / Graphics card / Radiator / pump.

Associate
Well my Bykski water block is still just sitting here! As work didn't pay this months overtime, so got to wait a month for it which was paying for the rest of the kit to go full loop :(

Back
Top Bottom