• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
I think they need to put a lot more into the stuff that they produce. In my house the name alphacool goes hand in hand with ghetto cooling, some of my little mining cards have some properly ghetto cooling solutions on them which almost always involve zip ties. Some of these solutions I rate as better thought out than some of the alphacool stuff.

Overall I'm very happy with the Alphacool stuff. Rads, fittings, bayres are all fine. The tubing has gone cloudy after only 5 months use though but I'm replacing that during this rebuild with Mayhems ultraclear. The RGB strip was always going to be removed in my build so I'm not that bothered by it.

GPU block is fitted, card is in the case, need to flush the new 240 rad and then put both rads in the case, finalise the tubing, fill and leak test.

I'll leave that for tomorrow.

Associate
You are getting the chokes mixed up.

Holy ****! Is your vga dead cause of that? I'm really sorry :/
I'm going to check mine as soon as possible. I'm using a Bykski block. Well, if anything was damaged it would not be working probably.
The only concern I have is removing again the bracket, there is so much pressure that I feel worried removing again.

Last edited:
Associate
Holy ****! Is your vga dead cause of that? I'm really sorry :/
I'm going to check mine as soon as possible. I'm using a Bykski block. Well, if anything was damaged it would not be working probably.
The only concern I have is removing again the bracket, there is so much pressure that I feel worried removing again.
Been busy today getting my loop back together and done some stress testing to check the card. It's looking to be ok. I've just removed the RGB strip and screws which where the issue. Worst thing is I missed DPD with my new kit of ram doing the school run.

Permabanned
Soldato
Is it just me or does anyone else also think that the fact that this is coming proves there's nothing faster than the VII in the works this year?

How about a fully unlocked version???

I'm guessing it gets a Gold skin this time.
How much faster will 4 shadercores give it do you think?
And I mentioned this earlier some people think it's going to be red some gold. Picture on the box is red... Idk

Associate
Is it just me or does anyone else also think that the fact that this is coming proves there's nothing faster than the VII in the works this year?

That was my first thought as well. I'm guessing navi won't be faster than the VII otherwise this edition of the VII is pointless.

Soldato
There never was anything faster in the works this year. Even if all the recent chatter about big Navi 20 with 2080 Ti performance and ray tracing is true, it's more than likely going to be first half of next year.

This year was only ever about the midrange Navi to replace Polaris and Vega.

Associate
All together and up and running.

l9dJS8S.jpg

Ran Heaven 4.0 for 30 minutes and water temperature hits 35.8.

i5-4690k @ 4.5 GHz and Radeon VII, 120mm and 240mm 60mm thick rads with push pull fans, D5, Bayres.

Soldato
Please can one of you sexy people help me, I posted this in the watercooling section also but i trust you guys as you have better taste in gpu's :p

I used to have an AIO on my cpu (ryzen 2700x) and then added a gpu block to my radeon vii, everything was fantastic, 72.C on the cpu OC @ 4.35ghz and max of 40.c on the gpu.

Then I though i would be a cool guy and bought a cpu block to replace the AIO and added it to the loop, i.e res/pump ->gpu -> Cpu - thick 60mm 360mm Radiator - >res/pump
And now my Cpu reached 90.c under full load when the gpu is being used hard as well and crashes, meaning i have to dial back the gpu or the cpu overclock to keep things under control.

So now I bought a more powerful d5 pump and a second radiator (240mm)

My question is, what is the best order to put these in?

Pump -> Gpu -> radiator 1 -> cpu -> radiator 2 -> pump ? OR
Pump -> Gpu -> Cpu -> Radiator 1 -> Radiator 2 -> pump
Or i've even seen
Pump -> Radiator 1 -> gpu -> radiator2 -> cpu -> Pump and
Pump -> Radiator 1 -> gpu -> cpu -> Radiator 2 -> Pump

Im so confused.

There is a EXTRA option, and that is to use my old pump/res and have 2 separate loops going on, one for cpu and one for gpu.
But I'd rather avoid that if at all possible as there is literally no space left in my case and Id have to make it messy by cramming it in.

If you can offer any help I would be so appreciative, its driving me bananananas

Permabanned
There never was anything faster in the works this year. Even if all the recent chatter about big Navi 20 with 2080 Ti performance and ray tracing is true, it's more than likely going to be first half of next year.
This year was only ever about the midrange Navi to replace Polaris and Vega.

I know mate I was just trying to push that fact on to others to lower expectations so they're not all disappointed again, :D I think we'll see V64 performance at best. That said like with Polaris we'll see Navi age well so by the time we get to Navi's 590 it'll be past the V64 and edging closer to the VII
That was my first thought as well. I'm guessing navi won't be faster than the VII otherwise this edition of the VII is pointless.

I think the VII will be replaced mid to late next year, Possibly like we saw with Polaris for the low and mid range one year and Vega for the high end late in the next, This time it's possible we'll see a Navi card or two for the high end rather than a different architecture, I suppose it'll depend how different the Navi architecture is and if they dealt with the GCN limitations they've been working with over the last few years, seeing as Navi's going in at least one console I wouldn't be surprised if AMD extended GCN's life through numerous Navi iterations over the next couple of years, possibly even beyond Navi if they find it feasible to do, that might be where a multi-chip design comes into play.

How much faster will 4 shadercores give it do you think?
And I mentioned this earlier some people think it's going to be red some gold. Picture on the box is red... Idk

Not a clue, I suppose it'll be similar to but a little less than what we get between the 56 & 64 so not really that much plus it will vary going game to game as we see with the others. As for the colour I think it'll have a Gold housing like we saw with one of the Frontier editions Vega's and the red's just bling for the cardboard box as the graphics card will have the red Radeon sign just like we have on ours.

Associate
Please can one of you sexy people help me, I posted this in the watercooling section also but i trust you guys as you have better taste in gpu's :p

I used to have an AIO on my cpu (ryzen 2700x) and then added a gpu block to my radeon vii, everything was fantastic, 72.C on the cpu OC @ 4.35ghz and max of 40.c on the gpu.

Then I though i would be a cool guy and bought a cpu block to replace the AIO and added it to the loop, i.e res/pump ->gpu -> Cpu - thick 60mm 360mm Radiator - >res/pump
And now my Cpu reached 90.c under full load when the gpu is being used hard as well and crashes, meaning i have to dial back the gpu or the cpu overclock to keep things under control.

So now I bought a more powerful d5 pump and a second radiator (240mm)

My question is, what is the best order to put these in?

Pump -> Gpu -> radiator 1 -> cpu -> radiator 2 -> pump ? OR
Pump -> Gpu -> Cpu -> Radiator 1 -> Radiator 2 -> pump
Or i've even seen
Pump -> Radiator 1 -> gpu -> radiator2 -> cpu -> Pump and
Pump -> Radiator 1 -> gpu -> cpu -> Radiator 2 -> Pump

Im so confused.

There is a EXTRA option, and that is to use my old pump/res and have 2 separate loops going on, one for cpu and one for gpu.
But I'd rather avoid that if at all possible as there is literally no space left in my case and Id have to make it messy by cramming it in.

If you can offer any help I would be so appreciative, its driving me bananananas

From what I have read the order of your loop doesn't make that much difference. Go with whatever gives you the shortest and neatest tubing.

Associate
I dont understand how that can be true though, if it goes pump -> gpu -> radiator -> cpu then its going to be cooler from the rad when it gets to the cpu.. no ?

this is the way I would do it, res to pump to CPU to 360 rad then to GPU to 240 rad back to res. the reason going pump to CPU is the greater delta between the heated coolant from CPU to the rad to the ambient air cooling the rad, it will remove more heat from the coolant. bigger delta between coolant and air cooling rads.

also pipe length don't matter, res and rad coolant amount does, think of it this way. if you put 1/2 a litre on stove to boil it will be quicker than 1 ltr on same stove with same heat, 2ltr even longer to boil. you wouldn't heat a swimming pool with a VII lol coolant disperses heat by volume.

anyone who says res size don't matter should try changing there boiler at home to a GPU then, your heating would be cold and so would your GPU temp. I run 1.6ltr in each of my loops and temps change 20c max from idle. with a 800ml res, RX480 rad, 4 fans on push my VII hit a max temp of 39c core and 65c junction total coolant just over 1.6ltr's

I don't know the size of your res mate, but how much coolant does your combined loop hold?

Last edited:
Associate
I dont understand how that can be true though, if it goes pump -> gpu -> radiator -> cpu then its going to be cooler from the rad when it gets to the cpu.. no ?

I agree with your thoughts, mine are the same. That's why mine is setup res>pump>GPU>120rad>CPU>240rad>res

Ideally it would have gone GPU>240>CPU>120 but the tubing is neater and shorter the way I have it.

Associate
For my two pennies worth. I have a 360 rad which is 45mm thick. This keeps cool graphics card and CPU. One thing that did make a difference was the fans on the rad. I have 6 fans doing push and pull. Case fans are really not up to the job. You need fans that have a high static pressure. I use these http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F120MP.html

Soldato
For my two pennies worth. I have a 360 rad which is 45mm thick. This keeps cool graphics card and CPU. One thing that did make a difference was the fans on the rad. I have 6 fans doing push and pull. Case fans are really not up to the job. You need fans that have a high static pressure. I use these http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F120MP.html
I have a 60mm thick 280 rad with 2 corsair ml140 pros, and 3 ml120 pros as case exaust fans, so im thinking that the pump combo I have is just too weak then ...
Luckily I have a d5 combo coming and an extra rád

Back
Top Bottom