• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Even if I did pre-order a CPU, I would not pre-order a motherboard so it'd sit in a box for a month or so. Pretty pointless for me.

I agree with what you've said however I don't think there is anything to lose. You can cancel. Performance is bound to be better than Ryzen 2000. If there is massive demand there might be a shortage/price hikes.

Much more likely is X570 has less availability given it was delayed a little. That is much harder to justify a pre-order unless you go high end.

I'm spending my time on what I'll do with motherboard choice. CPU is pretty much a no brainer.

Soldato
Personally i never pr-order CPU's, GPU's or motherboards. The reason is that until any of them are released and they are reviewed, none of us has any idea how they perform and even then we have to decide which suits our needs and want's best. Pre-ordering leaves you in the lap of the gods and could be a very expensive gamble. Just ask those that pre-ordered the RTX 2080 Ti and have had to use the RMA process more than once.

Caporegime
Does anyone know what the native and properly supported memory speed for this will be? By that I mean the max supported memory that isn't deemed overclocking.

Associate
Pre-ordering leaves you in the lap of the gods and could be a very expensive gamble. Just ask those that pre-ordered the RTX 2080 Ti and have had to use the RMA process more than once.
Unless the faults you refer to were mentioned in the reviews then ordering just before or just after the reviews makes no difference.
So that is not specifically a pre-order issue but the general risk one takes when purchasing a new product within the first 3 months or so.

Soldato
Does anyone know what the native and properly supported memory speed for this will be? By that I mean the max supported memory that isn't deemed overclocking.
We don't know yet but Ryzen 2000 was 2933 MHz so it should be at least that high. Ironically, AMD's "officially supported" RAM speed is higher than Intel's, despite the fact that Intel's chips actually can usually handle much faster RAM speeds.

Soldato
OCUK is normally within 5 to 10 minutes when I've called them in the past, when using PayPal at least. Not that it matters, you get the money back - so preorders aren't a gamble.
Really? Never been as quick as that for me before. Granted I can’t remember if Paypal was the payment method or not.

It actually does matter as I know some people are averse to the idea of pre orders due to the time frame it takes for refunds should they decide to cancel.

Soldato
I think I'll have to take the gamble and wait a bit after release. I'm not overly clued up on best matching items so I'll have to wait to see what other users have good success with. Plus, I usually wait a little for the little niggles to be ironed out.

Soldato
I've already picked out some nice 3600Mhz B-die RAM, and SSD. Now I just need a decent X570 motherboard, and the new CPU.

It all really depends on motherboard for me; decent VRM cooling, and RAM support. Depending on when we get reviews or not, will depend on if I pre-order.
Been on the 5820K since shortly after launch; would be nice to upgrade again.

Associate
I've already picked out some nice 3600Mhz B-die RAM, and SSD. Now I just need a decent X570 motherboard, and the new CPU.

It all really depends on motherboard for me; decent VRM cooling, and RAM support. Depending on when we get reviews or not, will depend on if I pre-order.
Been on the 5820K since shortly after launch; would be nice to upgrade again.

I'm kinda the same, for switching from intel (i2500k) to amd (ryzen 3000 something or ryzen 2000).
I've picked out my cpu, board, memory, but waiting on Computex news, where I fully expect AMD to announce prices, pre orders, and launch dates.

How soon, after that, can we expect reviews?
As I'd rather wait until I read and watch several of them before deciding on purchasing the upgrade.

Soldato
As I'd rather wait until I read and watch several of them before deciding on purchasing the upgrade.

I'm the same; want to ensure I order the best possible for features, and performance.

Sadly no clue as to when they might launch; hopefully AMD has some decent info, and manage to get review samples out well before actual launch. I don't like it when the embargos are on the launch day; as AMD supply is always constrained on their launches.

Associate
I don't like it when the embargos are on the launch day; as AMD supply is always constrained on their launches.

This will be the key. As if the NDA is stopped, several weeks before the launch date, it allows us to get our orders in, with plenty of time to spare.
Rather than waiting until after the fact.

I'm an eager beaver right now.

Soldato
This will be the key. As if the NDA is stopped, several weeks before the launch date, it allows us to get our orders in, with plenty of time to spare.
Rather than waiting until after the fact.

I'm an eager beaver right now.

Definitely! I've resisted the upgrade itch for quite some time; hoping for another upgrade to last me another -5 years for the base system.

Associate
Definitely! I've resisted the upgrade itch for quite some time; hoping for another upgrade to last me another -5 years for the base system.

Aye, my current system, listed in my signature, has lasted me since 2013, so a nice chunky 5.5 years is good going, until one of my gpu's failed, sparking this upgrade.

Soldato
Soldato
Unfortunately I am going to be waiting till the end of August for birthday monies or Christmas

It will depend a lot on price and what I can shift my 2400g for. If I only have to top up $100 to change I will do it quick. An 8 core would be awesome for me.

Back
Top Bottom