• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
3700 or 3700x ES appears on user bench

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16910589

3.4ghz bade clock speed
80ns memory latency
Same integer ipc score as zen in the integer test
20% better ipc in floating point test

So lower latency than zen and hopefully higher clock speeds for games, but I’ve heard amd was behind intel in integer scores which had the greatest impact for games so we may see zen 2 not beat Intel in games

He's had this chip for a while, a total of 3 runs with it in 3 months.

The other two.

Lower score than that that ^^^^ one
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14076820

And this ones lower again.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14273098

Soldato
id be looking at the 12 core then. 8 core will be the normal mid range by next year. so 12+ for 5 years.

Yet core numbers have never a good gauge of CPU longevity as my 4c/8T 2600k proves, with it being still capable after 8 years (when paired with a good GPU) when people said that 4 core CPU's would/should be obsolete by now, so I'm betting on the same for 8 core CPU's in that they'll stay relevant far longer than people expect.

However, should the 12c Ryzen be close enough in price to the "best" 8c one then I'll have to do further research on price vs performance for them.

Caporegime
Short video from Buildzoids on that Biostar MoBo, worth bearing in mind he is an extreme overclocker so he tends to talk about things from that perspective.

Gives some thoughts on that silly fan, seems it's going to be a thing for most manufactures but by the sounds of it you could yank the fan as it only get really hot under 'certain' conditions.

I just couldn't what much of that, early on he starts pointing at the extra 4 pin VRM plug, you know, like most high end boards have for extreme overclocking and starts rambling on about how this must mean the 16 core Zen 2 pulls 400 Watts, and if you didn't believe him imagine the 2700X x 2 and that if you would say "but what about 7nm" you should go and look at Vega VII.....

He must be the dumbest tech smart guy on the net, like all those AM4 300 series boards that he very hyperbolically said would be the worst boards actually turned out to be the best when tested.

sometime i do wonder what the hell is wrong with this guy.

Associate
so I'm betting on the same for 8 core CPU's in that they'll stay relevant far longer than people expect.
Well with that solid basis behind it I'll be definitely not be using you as a guide on what will and won't stay relevant.

The only reason we had quad cores for so long was Intel's market stranglehold and no competition from AMD in the CPU department. Do some research on the topic though I think AdoredTV's video on it is probably the easiest way to digest the history of Intel vs AMD. I think we are into another rapid change and growth period and as such stating any core count CPU will be relevant for any length of time is a bad idea. 12c will likely last 4-5yrs going off the slides from Intel and AMD so far, but even that could ramp up as Intel need to fire back and AMD aren't going to slow down. Give it 5 years and we could end up with the PS6 and XBonetwelve with 24c and 16GB HBM3 with Navi 36 style cores all in a single "APU".

Personally I think 8c are almost irrelevant already and we'll be looking to 12-16c parts over the next 2-3yrs.

Caporegime
Yet core numbers have never a good gauge of CPU longevity as my 4c/8T 2600k proves, with it being still capable after 8 years (when paired with a good GPU) when people said that 4 core CPU's would/should be obsolete by now, so I'm betting on the same for 8 core CPU's in that they'll stay relevant far longer than people expect.

However, should the 12c Ryzen be close enough in price to the "best" 8c one then I'll have to do further research on price vs performance for them.

if its only £100 more you would be better with the 4 extra cores over the 5 years.

Soldato
I just couldn't what much of that, early on he starts pointing at the extra 4 pin VRM plug, you know, like most high end boards have for extreme overclocking and starts rambling on about how this must mean the 16 core Zen 2 pulls 400 Watts, and if you didn't believe him imagine the 2700X x 2 and that if you would say "but what about 7nm" you should go and look at Vega VII.....

He must be the dumbest tech smart guy on the net, like all those AM4 300 series boards that he very hyperbolically said would be the worst boards actually turned out to be the best when tested.

You tell him, forgot you were an expert in everything :rolleyes:

Soldato

I'm guessing you missed the part where i said "worth bearing in mind he is an extreme overclocker so he tends to talk about things from that perspective."?

Caporegime
Yeah, that's his problem, ^^^^ he should stick to the day job.

You tell him, forgot you were an expert in everything :rolleyes:

Well come on, its too obvious, by his measure to get to 400 Watts you would have to have four 2700X not two, they only use 100 watts each, and then dismiss 7nm "because Vega 7" which is 30% faster than Vega 64 while using 15% less power.

Its people like this when they are well known so called "experts" that blurt out utterly hyperbolic crap and then vastly exaggerate the measures by which they got to those conclusions that give people an insane impression of something, and as i said he's not the first time he's made utterly mad predictions that inevitably turned out to be way off his mark.

Soldato
Yeah, that's his problem, ^^^^ he should stick to the day job.

Was that meant to be factious as if so i think i missed it. :)

Seriously though most of what he says is from the perspective of an extreme OC'er so can be discounted when it comes to 'normal' humans, personally i still find what he says interesting but I'm never going to have a use for LN2 modes, backside thermal probe holes, retry buttons and that sort of stuff, like most things you just have to take away the parts that are relevant to you.

Oh and BTW if you were running a 2700x on LN2 then 200W isn't exactly out of the ordinary.

Soldato
Well with that solid basis behind it I'll be definitely not be using you as a guide on what will and won't stay relevant.

The only reason we had quad cores for so long was Intel's market stranglehold and no competition from AMD in the CPU department.

Personally I think 8c are almost irrelevant already and we'll be looking to 12-16c parts over the next 2-3yrs.

Just so we can be sure, are you telling a computer hardware forum that 8c/16t CPU's are "almost irrelevant" in 2019?

Can you tell me what drugs you're on, they seem fun :D

Dont be so ridiculous. What an idiotic thing to say.

Yeap. :D

Associate
Just like 5GHz with crap IPC was irrelevant 8c will likely lose relevance very quickly too with the current core arms race. As the core counts rapidly increase over the next couple of years, programmers are actually going to use that power, in turn 8c will die out pretty quickly especially with the better core densities of Zen3 and Zen4 in the coming years.

Just looking at the bigger picture rather than focusing on 2019 ;)

Soldato
Hmmm, I don't remember consoles ever having the same level of hardware as high end PC's.
That the next gen (due next year) seem to be being based around 8core... eh, I've heard dumber things said? :D

I'm sure there's a way Intel can get 12-16c on 14nm with at least a couple per wafer being worth selling? You don't need to be quite so quick to dismiss it ;)

Associate
Just like 5GHz with crap IPC was irrelevant 8c will likely lose relevance very quickly too with the current core arms race. As the core counts rapidly increase over the next couple of years, programmers are actually going to use that power, in turn 8c will die out pretty quickly especially with the better core densities of Zen3 and Zen4 in the coming years.

You're literally stating that tech gets old. Yeah, that's how it works..

People are focusing on 2019 because that's the year we are living in! You can't buy a CPU from the future, now.

Soldato
You can't buy a CPU from the future, now.
What....
mcfly_400x400.JPG

Associate

Games consoles drive the hardware though, sure PC hardware will always be better but the games will never be built around specifications that the consoles cannot match, and the next ones are 8 core. CPUs are never the focus when building the games, its all about GPU since they will want to push graphic fidelity, so because of this 8 core is likely to become the standard as 4 core was for the last 7-8 years. Yes PC CPUs will be much better but almost no game developer will build a game based around whatever the latest PC hardware is.

Also im pretty sure most people still use quad cores right now even though we've had 6/8 core CPU's for a couple years.

Back
Top Bottom