**The Mental Health Thread**

Don
With me, they used the fact that I have a job against me. Essentially saying that if I was able to hold down a job then I'm clearly not disabled.
Odd that the local council consider me sufficiently disabled to issue me with a blue badge.

Soldato
Hi chaps hope everyone is doing as well as can be. I’m having a bit of a horrendous time at the moment with my mental health. 7 weeks ago I had a total collectomy with my large bowl removed and a bag fitted due to my U/C. All was going ok until I started tapering the prednisolone I had been on prior and after surgery. I have had pretty awful anxiety, depression and feelings of loosing control. I have been re-instated at 15mg pred to carry out a slower taper but yesterday evening got so bad I had to call 111 and see a doctor who has given me 5 days of Diazepam 2mg 3 times a day to try and help whilst the prednisolone re-balances in my system.

Got to say this is the worst I have felt with this and last night I was pretty convinced I needed sectioning or admitting to a mental health hospital. Hopefully the diazepam will help a bit but my head is not convinced at the moment.

Could do without this right now but mental health is never convenient.

Soldato
Hi chaps hope everyone is doing as well as can be. I’m having a bit of a horrendous time at the moment with my mental health. 7 weeks ago I had a total collectomy with my large bowl removed and a bag fitted due to my U/C. All was going ok until I started tapering the prednisolone I had been on prior and after surgery. I have had pretty awful anxiety, depression and feelings of loosing control. I have been re-instated at 15mg pred to carry out a slower taper but yesterday evening got so bad I had to call 111 and see a doctor who has given me 5 days of Diazepam 2mg 3 times a day to try and help whilst the prednisolone re-balances in my system.

Got to say this is the worst I have felt with this and last night I was pretty convinced I needed sectioning or admitting to a mental health hospital. Hopefully the diazepam will help a bit but my head is not convinced at the moment.

Could do without this right now but mental health is never convenient.

Building up to that major abdominal surgery, with what you were going through was not easy, very much of an understatement there. Then the stress of coming to terms with the need for major surgery, and the actual operation itself. Dealing with all of that is at least keeping your mind occupied at the time. Now the surgery is over and you are needing to adjust your lifestyle to meet your needs I doubt that anyone would be surprised to understand what you are going through mentally. You have done remarkably well in dealing what you have had to over the last few months, I reckon that what you are now feeling mentally is all of those emotions that were somewhat suppressed, or at least not part of you primary focus, all coming through at once.
Does the hospital "team (can't think of a better way of putting it) not offer counselling or support groups for people who find themselves having or had that type of surgery with the changes that it will have meant for your lifestyle...?
When my wife had major surgery in 2010 she found out about a support group ran at our local hospital, she still attends a monthly session of other former, as well as active patients, including volunteers for a three hours or so meet. That is important for her.
Your body is now healing, I bet you feel the benefits physically already...? The mind just needs time to come to terms with everything that you have gone through and over time it too will heal. It rarely does this rationally, it seems to manifest itself as acute anxiety and depression.
Having a short coarse of diazepam and a taper of the other drug will help.
If you have underlying issues with anxiety and depression then the last few months can only have added to that immensely. If that is the case have you ever done a CBT or mindfulness course...? If not then see what can be offered in your area. In some regions, not sure if it is national, you can sign yourself up to these and be assessed if they are appropriate for you.

The very best wishes to you.

You are doing extraordinarily well.

Soldato
My wife does this a lot, like all the time. Overthinks every situation, so much so I wrote a book (very small book) on it. Look it up on amazon, it's called UNTHUNK @mrbell1984

I am so up and down with my mental health and can get bogged down with stress of work, it was nice to voice my experiences in some way. I have felt so much better the last 12 months!

Ooh thanks! Just downloaded this and will have a read of it soon. I overthink all the time. I wrote a note for my neighbours yesterday as they have a parcel of mine and have tried 3 times to go get it but seem to miss them. I felt happy with how I worded it until a few hours later where I went into overdrive and started panicking that it came across rude. :/

I never used to be like this which bugs the heck out of me. I dont know if i was like this before my dad died or if it stems from that :confused:

I'm in a much better place than what I was but the over thinking and causing myself unnecessary stress is really affecting me still. (I have a habit of taking on other people's stress too)

On top of that I've just been told one of my nephews is struggling with expressing his emotions etc getting angry quickly and has taken to hitting his head against a wall. He was also caught holding a knife against his wrist the other day. He's 10! :(

Soldato
Building up to that major abdominal surgery, with what you were going through was not easy, very much of an understatement there. Then the stress of coming to terms with the need for major surgery, and the actual operation itself. Dealing with all of that is at least keeping your mind occupied at the time. Now the surgery is over and you are needing to adjust your lifestyle to meet your needs I doubt that anyone would be surprised to understand what you are going through mentally. You have done remarkably well in dealing what you have had to over the last few months, I reckon that what you are now feeling mentally is all of those emotions that were somewhat suppressed, or at least not part of you primary focus, all coming through at once.
Does the hospital "team (can't think of a better way of putting it) not offer counselling or support groups for people who find themselves having or had that type of surgery with the changes that it will have meant for your lifestyle...?
When my wife had major surgery in 2010 she found out about a support group ran at our local hospital, she still attends a monthly session of other former, as well as active patients, including volunteers for a three hours or so meet. That is important for her.
Your body is now healing, I bet you feel the benefits physically already...? The mind just needs time to come to terms with everything that you have gone through and over time it too will heal. It rarely does this rationally, it seems to manifest itself as acute anxiety and depression.
Having a short coarse of diazepam and a taper of the other drug will help.
If you have underlying issues with anxiety and depression then the last few months can only have added to that immensely. If that is the case have you ever done a CBT or mindfulness course...? If not then see what can be offered in your area. In some regions, not sure if it is national, you can sign yourself up to these and be assessed if they are appropriate for you.

The very best wishes to you.

You are doing extraordinarily well.

Thanks mate and I think you are right the Dr said pretty much the same thing yesterday. It’s been a rough few months and now things are getting better my mind wants to have it’s say too. It’s so hard to be rational when your panicking and loosing control. Coming of the Prednisolone a bit quick likely has not helped either. Just hoping it settles down at the 15mg so I can start a slower taper.

I have had CBT before and I have been in contact with them to hopefully arrange some more I’m just waiting on a call back for assessment. It was really helpful before. I’m not sure the hospital offer anything but will make sure I ask when there next week.

I will get there just need to slow things up a bit and take each day as it comes...

Cheers...

Soldato
Thanks mate and I think you are right the Dr said pretty much the same thing yesterday. It’s been a rough few months and now things are getting better my mind wants to have it’s say too. It’s so hard to be rational when your panicking and loosing control. Coming of the Prednisolone a bit quick likely has not helped either. Just hoping it settles down at the 15mg so I can start a slower taper.

I have had CBT before and I have been in contact with them to hopefully arrange some more I’m just waiting on a call back for assessment. It was really helpful before. I’m not sure the hospital offer anything but will make sure I ask when there next week.

I will get there just need to slow things up a bit and take each day as it comes...

Cheers...

You are welcome.

Have you been on a mindfulness course at all..?
Whilst some find benefit with CBT mindfulness might be useful to help you to focus in the "here and now", rather than in the world of "what ifs and maybes". There are sound recordings (mp3's) available to help to retain that focus, when the mind is focusing elsewhere.
Sadly in my area they have had to end the mindfulness based courses that they offered, they lasted for around 12 weeks at a time. The follow up support groups were also very useful, although again they have had to close.
You could ask if they offer that in your area or if any of their counsellors are trained in it, if you get accepted for counselling, altho if it is CBT based then that is what they will offer.
Have you seen that Headspace app for your phone...?

Soldato
You are welcome.

Have you been on a mindfulness course at all..?
Whilst some find benefit with CBT mindfulness might be useful to help you to focus in the "here and now", rather than in the world of "what ifs and maybes". There are sound recordings (mp3's) available to help to retain that focus, when the mind is focusing elsewhere.
Sadly in my area they have had to end the mindfulness based courses that they offered, they lasted for around 12 weeks at a time. The follow up support groups were also very useful, although again they have had to close.
You could ask if they offer that in your area or if any of their counsellors are trained in it, if you get accepted for counselling, altho if it is CBT based then that is what they will offer.
Have you seen that Headspace app for your phone...?

Just CBT as far as I’m aware will look into mindfulness courses and see what’s about in my area. I have not seen the Headspace app before and I have just downloaded it so will have a look thanks.

It seems to get a lot worse for me around 4pm ish daily. I start to really feel rough and loose control. I get really fidgety but not sure what I’m doing and just cannot relax or concentrate on anything. I get very shaky too which is weird. I’m pretty certain this is being caused by the Prednisolone I just hope it levels out pretty quick as I’m only allowed the Diazepam for a week if it works.

Thanks for all your help. I will try the headspace app.

Cheers

Soldato
Just CBT as far as I’m aware will look into mindfulness courses and see what’s about in my area. I have not seen the Headspace app before and I have just downloaded it so will have a look thanks.

It seems to get a lot worse for me around 4pm ish daily. I start to really feel rough and loose control. I get really fidgety but not sure what I’m doing and just cannot relax or concentrate on anything. I get very shaky too which is weird. I’m pretty certain this is being caused by the Prednisolone I just hope it levels out pretty quick as I’m only allowed the Diazepam for a week if it works.

Cheers

Just to add for you. Here is a link for some of the mindfulness free sound recordings to use.

http://www.freemindfulness.org/download

....they might seem strange to you without the context that the course can provide. But there is a lot of information on that site. I think that it is worth spending some time there if you can and have a read through.
It also links some apps to use. The Headspace one is useful, you get the first three sessions for free IIRC, that is all that I tried from that app. After I posted about it I remembered and found the link that I have just posted above.

Hopefully when your body balances out and you can taper off that prednisolone without the side effects you should start feeling better.

Take care.

Soldato
I just wanted to say that this is the first time I've come across thread. All the best to those who are struggling. Don't ever feel irrelevant or lacking.

I've been through the dark times so I can relate somewhat.

Soldato

Cheers

I suffer from UC too and I was on prednisolone almost constantly for 3 years back in 2008-2011. It definitely exacerbates anxiety and I certainly think that I have heightened anxiety now compared to pre-prednisolone days.

I haven't taken prednisolone now for over 9 years but I look back now and realise that it took a good 2-3 years off them for my body to adjust and start balancing out hormone levels. It's a frustratingly long process and I would certainly take all the help and support offered.

What's the plan in terms of reducing the pred now you've had the colectomy? How's the healing coming along?

Soldato
I suffer from UC too and I was on prednisolone almost constantly for 3 years back in 2008-2011. It definitely exacerbates anxiety and I certainly think that I have heightened anxiety now compared to pre-prednisolone days.

I haven't taken prednisolone now for over 9 years but I look back now and realise that it took a good 2-3 years off them for my body to adjust and start balancing out hormone levels. It's a frustratingly long process and I would certainly take all the help and support offered.

What's the plan in terms of reducing the pred now you've had the colectomy? How's the healing coming along?

I was on the Pred this time for around 4 months with a few weeks in hospital on IV stuff in between. Did not really have any issues with Anxiety this time until I started to tapper and got down to doses under 10mg. Once I got to 0 everything went a bit mental literally... Saying that I saw a really nice doctor yesterday who is not convinced the Pred is causing the Anxiety/Depression and it’s more likely a big crash of my body after everything that has happened over the last few months. She explained that if a reduction in Pred causes issues then re-instating usually makes things better but for me it’s not really made any difference. It’s possible it’s just coincidence it happened whilst coming of the Pred.

My plan is too now reduce by 1mg every 3 days and play it by ear as such. I’m still having issues and have been using the Diazepam as needed. I only needed two 2mg tabs today so far today which I’m happy with.

Healing is doing good albeit slowed a bit due to the steroids. It’s still a bit sore around my stoma but it’s nothing really compared to what I had before the surgery. My wound is slowly healing the dissolving stitches are taking ages to dissolve and keep causing small openings as they come up to the surface but again it’s nothing really more than a little discomfort. Having the stoma has been a life saver and things are miles better with it.

Just need to get my head squared away and all will be good....

Soldato
Just to add for you. Here is a link for some of the mindfulness free sound recordings to use.

http://www.freemindfulness.org/download

....they might seem strange to you without the context that the course can provide. But there is a lot of information on that site. I think that it is worth spending some time there if you can and have a read through.
It also links some apps to use. The Headspace one is useful, you get the first three sessions for free IIRC, that is all that I tried from that app. After I posted about it I remembered and found the link that I have just posted above.

Hopefully when your body balances out and you can taper off that prednisolone without the side effects you should start feeling better.

Take care.

Thanks mate will give it a look tomorrow. I have a few hours on my own which I’m not looking forward too so hopefully having a look at this will help.

Caporegime
Had a full on alcohol-fueled breakdown about a month ago, since then it seems to have spiralled into other issues, imposter syndrome at work, feelings of apathy towards pretty much everything, not caring about consequences and putting things off for as long as possible.

There is nothing inherently wrong about my life either, great family and friends, partner, extremely flexible job and working hours but it just feels like it's all for nothing, which I guess it is in the end...

Soldato
Had a full on alcohol-fueled breakdown about a month ago, since then it seems to have spiralled into other issues, imposter syndrome at work, feelings of apathy towards pretty much everything, not caring about consequences and putting things off for as long as possible.

There is nothing inherently wrong about my life either, great family and friends, partner, extremely flexible job and working hours but it just feels like it's all for nothing, which I guess it is in the end...

I hear ya bud :(

Did anything specific or strange happen in the days leading up to this?

Caporegime
I hear ya bud :(

Did anything specific or strange happen in the days leading up to this?

Nothing at all, I was in fact pretty happy with myself on the day and the days beforehand.

I know alcohol is a depressant but this was more than that, proper deep rooted rage. I’ve went to book an appointment with my GP twice but pulled out as I just feel like a fraud, wasting their already stretched resources.

Soldato
Nothing at all, I was in fact pretty happy with myself on the day and the days beforehand.

I know alcohol is a depressant but this was more than that, proper deep rooted rage. I’ve went to book an appointment with my GP twice but pulled out as I just feel like a fraud, wasting their already stretched resources.

Set a long term goal if you can? anything to focus your mind on.

What about saving for a fantastic holiday?

oh, and yeah...I guess in the end life is pretty pointless to us (we think) not those around us, so might as well enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom