**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
Doesn’t work for everyone.

I thought getting away from everything would be the solution and it only doubled down on my issues when I came back.

It's not a fix, it's the first step to realise that you don't need 80% of the **** we fill our lives with. The things we work too hard for which ultimately make us miserable because we're working so hard. To show we focus on the wrong things in our lives which I really believe is why mental health is at an all-time high.

did you make any changes when you got back from getting away or did you jump straight back in?

For me, if you have to get away from something, the last thing you should do is go back to it without at least a plan of how to change things.

Caporegime
My life is absolutely fine now, I’m just saying “escaping it all” didn’t work for me.

I don’t think the rise in mental health issues is mainly down to working or focusing on the wrong thing or things. That is different for everyone and many of the cases we see are with people who aren’t working or focused towards anything, they’re lost before they even start.

Associate
Doesn’t work for everyone.

I thought getting away from everything would be the solution and it only doubled down on my issues when I came back.

It can also be a problem while you're 'away from it all'; I had 10 days away by myself last September for my 40th Birthday down in Cornwall, and tried to keep off social media & the internet as much as possible, instead focusing on doing things IRL such as walks on the beach, surfing etc. I was ok while I was doing the activities, but come the evenings and quiet time you come to realise that however far you go to 'escape', the one person you can't escape from is yourself...

Soldato
I feel so sad depressed and mood swings and I keep picking arguments with people then next minute I’m ok with them I feel like crying also is it just depression? Been going on only recent due to stress

I’ve been there. Speak to the doctor, ask for a phone appointment and say it’s urgent if it’s getting you down.

Permabanned
Had a telephone appointment with a doctor - had a decent length chat regarding my symptoms and history and agreed that it could be SAD as mentioned above.

Was happy that I have a decent understanding of my circumstances and otherwise managing it, and so has prescribed escitalopram on a months trial and have to check back in 2-3 weeks. If it works and has no side effects etc then would be happy to prescribe on a recurring basis as and when I need.

I’m no good on medication, tried it and just made me feel worse. Side effects for me was awful. What helps is sleep but that’s no good for working life.

I get SAD every winter and it really takes it toll on me. It seems I have to manage it all myself and it’s hard.

Permabanned
I tried several tablets and some made me feel worse which is common. It took a while but I do feel better.

I don’t like the idea of tablets. When I first started them I got high and couldn’t cope with the extra feels. The first week was horrendous! I tried them again 6 months later but again couldn’t handle them again. It was as if I was on fast forward. Couldn’t balance work life and home.

The only thing that works for me at the moment is sleep it seems that when I sleep I do get back to normal eventually but then returns when I start doing normal activities few months down the line.

Soldato
I don’t like the idea of tablets. When I first started them I got high and couldn’t cope with the extra feels. The first week was horrendous! I tried them again 6 months later but again couldn’t handle them again. It was as if I was on fast forward. Couldn’t balance work life and home.

The only thing that works for me at the moment is sleep it seems that when I sleep I do get back to normal eventually but then returns when I start doing normal activities few months down the line.

I know where your coming from. I started a med after and after. week or two I was in a complete mess, the side effects were brutal. I have never had anxiety like that before and it was a living nightmare.

Permabanned
I know where your coming from. I started a med after and after. week or two I was in a complete mess, the side effects were brutal. I have never had anxiety like that before and it was a living nightmare.

Increased anxiety for me was a pure nightmare. I would go for a walk to get some fresh air and out of no where I started to feel it. No reason at all just frightened of something but never knew what.

It’s as though I go through stages of been fine and then it just comes back for no reason at all.

Soldato
Increased anxiety for me was a pure nightmare. I would go for a walk to get some fresh air and out of no where I started to feel it. No reason at all just frightened of something but never knew what.

It’s as though I go through stages of been fine and then it just comes back for no reason at all.

Same here, it comes out the blue, it hit me when I was alone, more so when I had a place in a remote part of Scotland.

My mind would wander to what might happen and what if.

When my mind was wandering I would visit this site and it helped.

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/panicattack

Permabanned
Same here, it comes out the blue, it hit me when I was alone, more so when I had a place in a remote part of Scotland.

My mind would wander to what might happen and what if.

When my mind was wandering I would visit this site and it helped.

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/panicattack

It’s not a panic attack I dont get them I don’t think, it’s more strange thoughts.

I had a read of that site thanks for the read though.

Last edited:
Soldato

For me they worked wonders tbh..... but feels as if lately they not as effective as they once were.

Soldato
My anxiety is through the roof at the moment, panic attacks incuded. Can't seem to shift it. It's pretty horrendous tbh. Two months left of uni and I'm losing my mind lol

Permabanned
It is scenarios running through you mind that don’t actually happen?

Yeh, some days I’m fine others I just wake up with stupid thoughts. I always over analize situations. Like if I’m on a bus n I see a bike going past I automatically think they going to go into the bus for example when it actually never happens. Well it hasn’t so far but that’s an example of what I would think. I hate it.

Back
Top Bottom