Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Soldato
2nd episode watched

just wow, seriously good

that scene with Gorbatchev - where they are telling him how big the damage will be if the second explosion occurs and that they need his permission to kill three men - jeez

Last edited:
Commissario
I'm actually surprised the show flinched from showing one of the irradiated patients. I believe he was only mentioned later on by Emily Watson's character saying "his face was gone", unless I blinked and missed it.
This decision is discussed at length in the podcast with the creator/writer. The podcasts are well worth a listen after each episode.

Man of Honour
I had assumed some of the scenes were made up but after reading some of the actions from the main characters most of this program really happened , from the outright denial and disbelief by site managers that the reactor had exploded to the guy being ordered to actually look from the roof into the reactor site

I’m surprised most of those responsible got relatively light sentences
That was the USSR. Complete belief in what someone above told you and too much fear to ever question it.

Soldato
"...we're still wearing the 'ing hats." X-D

have to say, I understand feelings etc, but that wife just made me want to slap her face off. nurses tell her twice very specific instructions, and she IMMEDIATELY completely ignores them both times.

Soldato
"...we're still wearing the 'ing hats." X-D

have to say, I understand feelings etc, but that wife just made me want to slap her face off. nurses tell her twice very specific instructions, and she IMMEDIATELY completely ignores them both times.

If you understood her feelings you wouldn’t want to slap her face off

Soldato
I would, cos she's being stupid, and her stupidity/selfishness was going to impact on the nurses, despite them telling her everything this should have. it wasn't even like she held off then her emotions got the better of her, she just breezed right on in ignoring what she'd been told 12 seconds earlier. way to think of your unborn child, dumbski.

Man of Honour
I would, cos she's being stupid, and her stupidity/selfishness was going to impact on the nurses, despite them telling her everything this should have. it wasn't even like she held off then her emotions got the better of her, she just breezed right on in ignoring what she'd been told 12 seconds earlier. way to think of your unborn child, dumbski.

I think it just shows how naive people were about the whole situation.

Man of Honour
Absolutely amazing series so far.

I watched a mini docu on this the other day on YT and it clarified some bits I knew of but didn't know for sure. The RBMK reactors were put in because they were easy and quick to convert for weapons production should the need arise. The safety test was what ballsed up reactor #4, human error.

Soldato

Then series is constantly showing the ignorance about radiation , it’s effects , how dangerous it is and how things can be contaminated, afterall it is invisible , it’s easy to understand why anybody with a lack of knowledge would ignore such advice

If I didn’t know anything about radiation and somebody very close to me was in such a state I’d probably be in there too and I guess a lot of others would do the same

Soldato
...we're still wearing the 'ing hats."
Ha, that was great. The miner was a total cartoon character but some comedy was a nice change. And he did speak a lot of sense. My girlfriend (from Yorkshire) was like "well he calls a spade a spade" and you can't argue with that. Like when he said that if the masks worked they'd all be wearing them.

And agreed with the above about the wife. She and so many others just didn't understand the effects of radiation. It's still dumb to ignore what a nurse tells you but still...

Soldato
Finally got round to watching this last night, even stayed up late to squeeze two episodes in.

Accents are a little strange at first as it's a mixture of Russian ones and English ones but then again the show is made by the Americans, it's all the same to them :p

Soldato
Ha, that was great. The miner was a total cartoon character but some comedy was a nice change. And he did speak a lot of sense. My girlfriend (from Yorkshire) was like "well he calls a spade a spade" and you can't argue with that. Like when he said that if the masks worked they'd all be wearing them.

And agreed with the above about the wife. She and so many others just didn't understand the effects of radiation. It's still dumb to ignore what a nurse tells you but still...
yeah, I liked that bit where Legasov said they'd be less protected w/out the clothes and the miner asking if it would make any difference putting them on, and he goes "...not really". bit rough too when he asked if his men would be looked after and the top guy couldn't promise anything. kinda shows the honour those guys had, just continuing the work knowing what they were up against. they'd already challenged the guards to try and shoot them all in a previous scene so it seems they could have just taken off and GTFO of Dodge when they realised what was going on and what the end result was going to be.

Back
Top Bottom