Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Soldato
Really enjoying this.
The lead scientists voice (Legasov) really bugged me as it sounded familiar, i looked him up on Imbd and it turns out he is Richard Harris's son.
Sometimes he sounds exactly like his father did

Associate
How accurate were the radiation death scenes in ep 3? Those men seemed to be dissolving and it looked horrendous.
Pretty close to be honest, severe radiation poising is a nasty way to go.

Best bet would be a slug in the back of the head before it went so far you dissolved in agony, not much pain medication can do when you have no where to inject it.

Soldato
The lead scientists voice (Legasov) really bugged me as it sounded familiar, i looked him up on Imbd and it turns out he is Richard Harris's son.

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew he sounded familiar but couldn't quite place it.

He was in Mad Men too.

Commissario
Really, really enjoying this series. I know it's not entirely historically accurate but that doesn't really detract from it being great TV!
It's incredibly accurate, probably the most accurate of any drama based on a real event that I've ever seen.

Sometimes he sounds exactly like his father did
Post #15 ;)
Watching the trailer I was sure I heard Richard Harris' voice but it was Jared. How much does he sound like his old man? Answer: lots!
:D

Soldato
Very. The radiation changes your DNA and basically boils you from the inside out.

Akimov (the guy you never see properly) was described as having black skin (by the people that saw him at the hospital).

Very grim :(
the original War Game film detailed a bit more than what was mentioned on this show, IIRC. after watching that and reading up on it in Glasstone's book, I would never consider investing in a fallout shelter, and if there's a 4 minute warning equivalent, i'm going to try and get as close to the centre of town as possible and make sure the bomb/missile takes me out ASAP

Soldato
Sorry, but I’d fundamentally disagree and say you could lay blame on “human error” for this one. Not as the root cause, anyway.

The operators did everything they should have to shut down the reactor. If anything, it was the flawed design of the reactor and the fact that they were never properly told about the minimum number of rods required to stay in the core.

From memory they needed to leave something like 20+ rods in the core at all times and shortly before the explosion they’d removed all but 8 or so (don’t quote me, but it was vastly below the recommended minimum)

I’ve been a safety manager of a Power Station and can tell you that those guys would have known those systems inside out, and they’d have followed the orders/arrogance of the lead engineer to the letter but human error was merely a contributory factor.

I also feel that those guys probably lived with the shame/blame of such a horrible accident being pinned on them, which doesn’t sit right with me.

The reactor was inherently unstable below a certain threshold too (let's say 40% of max for arguments sake). I think they went down to 5% or less at one point. To increase power, they removed a large quantity of control rods, but went against protocol and removed too many. This did increase the power, but was the beginning of an uncontrollable chain reaction, causing a surge in power output. When they then tried to shut down the reactor, by lowering the control rods, the graphite tips caused a temporary increase in fission reactions, tipping the reactor over the top in the process. This resulted in the initial explosion, where the "lids" burst open. Once the air mixed with the steam and hydrogen, it lead to the secondary, larger, explosion, taking the roof of the reactor room off.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The scene with the dogs got me. As did the hospital scene... just an all round bad day.

Next weeks finale episode looks like it’s going to be a cracker :cool:

Permabanned
I thought that was Pyp from GoT in the shadows :p

Anyone have a good documentary they can reference? Never realised just how much worse this disaster could have been.

Soldato
I thought that was Pyp from GoT in the shadows :p

Anyone have a good documentary they can reference? Never realised just how much worse this disaster could have been.

copied from rfeddit. there are quite a few from GOT in this.
  1. Ep. 1, Jamie Sives (Jory Cassel), plays Sitnikov, guy with moustache sent to roof

2. Ep. 1, Billy Postlethwaite (Lannister guardsman with Ed Sheeran), plays one of the control room guys Boris Stolyarchuk

3. Ep. 1, Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin), plays Zharkov

4. Ep. 1+2, Mark Lewis Jones (Shagga/Last Jedi's Captain Canady), plays Colonel General Pikalov

5. Ep. 3+4, Ralph Ineson (Dagmer Cleftjaw), plays General Tarakanov

6. Ep. 3, James Cosmo (Lord Commander Mormont), plays a miner

7. Ep. 4, Josef Altin (Pyp), plays a soldier in opening scene

8. Ep. 5, Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton), preview scene for next week

zero hour disaster at chernobyl on youtube is an excellent documentary to watch

Associate
Even more dangerous than the "elephants foot"

Thats was stupidly dangerous, massive amount of radiation came from that thing and still does as it was melted fuel mixed with whatever other crap it burned its way through.

That said the roof would likely have been a proper scary place as there was solid chunks of fuel and radioactive material out from the middle of the reactor up there.

Back
Top Bottom