• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800X or 9900K

Soldato
It was, only just if you ignore its serious flaws.
It wont be for much longer.

Folk get so caught up on 3 or 4 fps but dont look at the big picture, the 9900k(S especially) are flawed.

For specific gaming purposes we even deliberately disable patches of meltdown and spectre on 8700K and 9900K rigs for extra fps. For laptop holding more personal data I do feel more reassured with AMD Ryzen APUs.

Soldato
OP
It’s not , the 3800k matches it for less...
That why they are releasing the 9900ks
I'm not convinced that the 3800K will match the 9900K in gaming, if it could I'm sure there would have been more than the single tweaked benchmark to prove this in the keynote.

What the hell do you lot see in the 9900?
I see a pushed past the max chip with huge heat and power problems on an old platform with no future and the best of all so badly compromised with security it doubles as swiss cheese. Exceptionally naive to be buying into such a bad product when you will have options elsewhere especially for the stupid money intel wants.
I see the current fastest hyper-threaded gaming CPU, as far as the platform goes AMD have only said AM4 will last until 2020 so AM5 could be out in 6 months, The 9xxx CPU's have some hardware mitigation of the security issues and I don't feel my PC is vulnerable to them anyhow given the usage of my PC and the security steps I take.

@PieEater what resolution are you gaming at?

A question to everyone/anyone: would there be an advantage in buying an x570 mobo and pairing it with the 2700x until the Zen2 refresh comes along? I feel that this new series is ideal for anyone upgrading from older platforms, but as an upgrade from 2700x are the gains really worth it?

Incidentally, I also feel Intel needs to be ruled out.
I'm gaming at 1440p with a GTX1070.

I'd like comments on a twist to the above seeing as I don't want active cooling, how about I buy a X470 Taichi and 2600X now then sell the 2600X when the 3900X comes down in price and put the 3900X in the X470 board? I get something shiney to play with now thats better than my 2700K and the chip and passively cooled board I actually want later.

Was that the now crippled 9900K they were going against though with the 3800X ?, as once you get the vulnerability patches on, its performance drops off a cliff.
I don't believe the 9xxxx series are affected as much as older CPU's as Intel have added hardware level mitigation, happy to be told otherwise.

Last edited:
Associate
When i mean platform i mean the likes of gen4 ect..
The ryzen chips are the ones to go for going forward, not saying 9900(s or what not) cannot throw pixels because they can but looking like for like you get
AMD
PCI4
Lower power usage (a lot)
Lower heat
Cheaper price
Less or no current vulns

Intel gets you...
A very expensive chip
Hot
Uses huge power
On a much older platform.
Which has plenty of holes
For.. maybe a few fps... thats yet to be seen.

One thing i can bet is that overclocking on the new 9900KS wont be great, its at it max, remains to be seen what Zen2 comes in like but i bet the gaming figures for these processors will be within margin of error for each other and for that the intel chip looks to be DOA.

Caporegime
When i mean platform i mean the likes of gen4 ect..
The ryzen chips are the ones to go for going forward, not saying 9900(s or what not) cannot throw pixels because they can but looking like for like you get
AMD
PCI4
Lower power usage (a lot)
Lower heat
Cheaper price
Less or no current vulns

Intel gets you...
A very expensive chip
Hot
Uses huge power
On a much older platform.
Which has plenty of holes
For.. maybe a few fps... thats yet to be seen.

One thing i can bet is that overclocking on the new 9900KS wont be great, its at it max, remains to be seen what Zen2 comes in like but i bet the gaming figures for these processors will be within margin of error for each other and for that the intel chip looks to be DOA.

The 9900k goes past 5ghz...so yet moren BS from you...

Soldato
I'd like comments on a twist to the above seeing as I don't want active cooling, how about I buy a X470 Taichi and 2600X now then sell the 2600X when the 3900X comes down in price and put the 3900X in the X470 board? I get something shiney to play with now thats better than my 2700K and the chip and passively cooled board I actually want later.

I'm not sure that's feasible as the price might actually rise as opposed to coming down. Why can't you just buy the best CPU and put it in your current motherboard?

Edit: my bad, you've got a 2700k not 2700x.

Soldato
OP
So what's the deal with ps5?

Will I be getting triple digit FPS, 1440p with full raytracing?
Of more interest to me would be the ability to access and play games held in my Steam / Ubisoft / Origen / Epic libraries as well as running the Windows software I need for photo and video editing as well as plug & play for peripherals such as card readers, scanners, printers, DVD burners etc. If that's not going to happen then can we keep discussion of the PS5 out of this thread as it's irrelevant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of more interest to me would be the ability to access and play games held in my Steam / Ubisoft / Origen / Epic libraries as well as running the Windows software I need for photo and video editing as well as plug & play for peripherals such as card readers, scanners, printers, DVD burners etc. If that's not going to happen then can we keep discussion of the PS5 out of this thread as it's irrelevant.
Yes boss.

Associate
What makes you so sure that this is the case?

All the published roadmaps for intel show... not a lot for the near and medium future - unless you count another "+" added to 14nm.
I suspect we will see Zen2+ (or zen3 or whatever amd call it) before intel makes a significant step, could be 2021 before owt "new" comes from the blue team..bar tweeks.

Soldato
All the published roadmaps for intel show... not a lot for the near and medium future - unless you count another "+" added to 14nm.
I suspect we will see Zen2+ (or zen3 or whatever amd call it) before intel makes a significant step, could be 2021 before owt "new" comes from the blue team..bar tweeks.
But isnt the 9900k a pretty amazing chip in itself? If someone was top buy that now they wouldnt need to upgrade until at least 2021.....

Back
Top Bottom