OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Great advice. I wish I had this list when I was a first time dad.

That's not true. Breast feeding has many physiological and psychological benefits, but formula isn't akin to the child abuse that some easy-feeding mothers make it out to be.
They really shouldn't have woman crying because "breast is best" when the woman wants to formula feed.
My wife did the first day breast feeding, well expressing.
Then when she said she wanted to formula feed they put pressure on to carry on. It really didn't help that she stopped producing milk, they even have her a prescription for something that was supposed to help produce milk without asking her. I'd that's not pressuring i don't know what is.
They need to ditch the breast is best stuff. Yes there are some benefits, formula had benefits as well.
Just shouldn't make out that breast is the preferred option should be totally up to the parents.

Soldato
They really shouldn't have woman crying because "breast is best" when the woman wants to formula feed.
My wife did the first day breast feeding, well expressing.
Then when she said she wanted to formula feed they put pressure on to carry on. It really didn't help that she stopped producing milk, they even have her a prescription for something that was supposed to help produce milk without asking her. I'd that's not pressuring i don't know what is.
They need to ditch the breast is best stuff. Yes there are some benefits, formula had benefits as well.
Just shouldn't make out that breast is the preferred option should be totally up to the parents.
I don't quite agree with you. I do think some people demonise formula way too much. But I do think the NHS encouraging breast feeding is a good thing. I agree it shouldn't ever go to the point that Mothers get upset, but all rational mothers, barring any medical reason, should want to breastfeed. They may want to not based on factors like thinking it'll be hard work (you're a mum, being a mum is hard work) or aesthetic reasons. Each to their own, but a nudge towards breast feeding is a good thing.

My wife did her damn best to breastfeed but her supply just wouldn't come in properly, so son lost too much weight and we had to resort to formula, with breastfeeding where possible but eventually stopping for good around 4 months. I don't mind that some NHS staff encouraged her to persevere, but the choice was clear to introduce formula once he lost 12% from birth weight.

I firmly believe formula feeding has made our lives as parents easier, primarily because he sleeps amazingly well (which I'm sure is due to formula) and also because I can feed him without wife having to express.

Doesn't change the fact that breast IS best. If my wife could have solely breast fed, she would have 100x over. We started with formula begrudgingly, fully in the knowledge it would mean he'd be unlikely to properly breastfeed again, but that was a straightforward value judgement at the time.

So although it might cause a bit of emotional distress for some mothers, if it changes the mind of a few who can but are unsure, then it's worth it IMO.

Soldato
Maybe from experience then. They shouldn't push breast is best in circumstances like ours.
Normal birth then fair enough.

It's one of the reasons i think we agree we want at least one more to experience it all how it's supposed to be.

Caporegime

That doesn't work though, breast feeding really is best and people really do need a bit of pressure to breast feed. We had some of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world in the 90s and 00s.

Legislation to curb the multi million dollar formula advertising and a genuine public health drive to improve infants health seems legitimate to me. Breastfeeding isn't easy, there will be some tears and struggles and I have absolutely seen some mums struggle to breast feed to the detriment of their babies and their own health.

Saying just let people choose is plain stupid though. Just like saying let people choose to use seatbelts. People are pretty stupid at the end of the day.

Caporegime
Maybe from experience then. They shouldn't push breast is best in circumstances like ours.
Normal birth then fair enough.

It's one of the reasons i think we agree we want at least one more to experience it all how it's supposed to be.

Personally babies born by "normal birth", whatever that is these days, are the ones I care the least about breast feeding. Sick babies are the ones who will benefit the most, especially prems or those that land up on NICU.

I think your lad had HIE iirc, I'd have recommended breast feeding strongly.

Associate
That doesn't work though, breast feeding really is best and people really do need a bit of pressure to breast feed.

Or not. My wife didn't produce much milk and my son ended up being a 'failure to thrive' baby due to pressure from midwives and health visitors to breastfeed. Made out like it was her fault for not doing it right. Doc insisted on formula and he immediately he started growing like a weed. In order to still try and get some breast milk in him she expressed for 3 months afterwards but generally only got 1 ounce each time. When 2nd baby came along, health visitor was told to f-off when she started talking about not using formula.

He's 11 now - seems just like yesterday he was a little baby!

Caporegime
Or not. My wife didn't produce much milk and my son ended up being a 'failure to thrive' baby due to pressure from midwives and health visitors to breastfeed. Made out like it was her fault for not doing it right. Doc insisted on formula and he immediately he started growing like a weed. In order to still try and get some breast milk in him she expressed for 3 months afterwards but generally only got 1 ounce each time. When 2nd baby came along, health visitor was told to f-off when she started talking about not using formula.

Whilst personal experiences are lovely and all that, they're not great evidence for deciding public health initiatives.

Soldato
Personally babies born by "normal birth", whatever that is these days, are the ones I care the least about breast feeding. Sick babies are the ones who will benefit the most, especially prems or those that land up on NICU.

I think your lad had HIE iirc, I'd have recommended breast feeding strongly.
What's HIE?

Soldato

That's exactly how my wife felt. It's the same with this damn charts in the back of the red book. Theyre obsessed with him hitting a line which he never does.
Thankfully his main consultant isn't interested in it either and sis he's just small, so why can't the rest of them see it like that.

Back
Top Bottom