Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Nah actually it makes sense.

Because a "model" is whatever is on one base. For example Tyranid ripper swarms are "one model" although you can put however many on the base really, it doesnt matter that much.

Same with your guard heavy weapons team, each "model" within reason you can stick on that base what you like, it is still "one model" - the two wounds would suggest that two individual guard soldiers should be put on it, but its not essential.

Why each "model" must take a heavy weapon. That also means you cannot also shoot the second soldier on the base idividually with his lasgun. It only has one weapon, whether it is one man, two or however many you try and cram on that base!

Caporegime
Nah actually it makes sense.

Because a "model" is whatever is on one base. For example Tyranid ripper swarms are "one model" although you can put however many on the base really, it doesnt matter that much.

Same with your guard heavy weapons team, each "model" within reason you can stick on that base what you like, it is still "one model" - the two wounds would suggest that two individual guard soldiers should be put on it, but its not essential.

Why each "model" must take a heavy weapon. That also means you cannot also shoot the second soldier on the base idividually with his lasgun. It only has one weapon, whether it is one man, two or however many you try and cram on that base!

The issue is though that it doesn't state how many models make up a team. Just that there are 3 teams in a squad. The infantry squad for example is perfectly clear, 9 guardsmen and a sergeant, special weapons squad 6 guardsmen, veteran squad is 9 veterans and a sergeant. Every other unit in the AM codex follows this except for the heavy weapon squad.

Reason I'm looking at it btw is that a potential opponent of mine has 2 heavy weapons per base with the argument that each base contains a number of models, even in the kit, and therefore because the rules as written state 1 heavy weapon per model he can have multiple per base. He is renowned for being a cheesy git though. The issue is that as written I can't really argue that he's wrong.

Soldato
The issue is though that it doesn't state how many models make up a team. Just that there are 3 teams in a squad. The infantry squad for example is perfectly clear, 9 guardsmen and a sergeant, special weapons squad 6 guardsmen, veteran squad is 9 veterans and a sergeant. Every other unit in the AM codex follows this except for the heavy weapon squad.

Reason I'm looking at it btw is that a potential opponent of mine has 2 heavy weapons per base with the argument that each base contains a number of models, even in the kit, and therefore because the rules as written state 1 heavy weapon per model he can have multiple per base. He is renowned for being a cheesy git though. The issue is that as written I can't really argue that he's wrong.

No your potential opponent is talking complete crap, I've just pulled up a PDF of that codex page, there is no vagueness about it.

The "unit" contains 3 heavy weapon teams.

A heavy weapons team, is 1 "model" or 1 "base".

So 1 "unit" is 3 bases, or 3 "models".

Then refer what to what I posted above about what each "model" consists of.

It clearly says, Each model must take AN item from the AM heavy weapons list.

I stress AN item, 1, singular.

Again as I put above it doesn't really matter what has actually been placed on each base as such, it can only fire it's one single heavy weapon. If your mate has placed 2 heavy weapons on a base, well that's nice for him, but it still only counts as one, if he placed two different heavy weapons then he would need to declare before the battle which one it is.

Where there is some vagueness is I guess technically the heavy weapon base could use it's grenade instead of its heavy weapon, and possibly even fire it's lasgun, as it doesn't say "replace" it's lasgun, only that it must take a heavy weapon.

Infact, you could possibly argue, that as the model doesn't replace it's lasgun, it technically could fire its heavy weapon AND it's lasgun, because a model in 40k can generally fire all its ranged weapons.

Not that I would bring that up, but if he argues that you might have to let him have that, but two heavy weapons, no way. And if he insists he can have and use 2 heavy weapons per "model" then I wouldn't play him.

From the sounds of it I wouldn't play him anyway.

Caporegime
Hopefully that's enough to put him in his box! I'm playing him because he's a bit...awkward and most people won't. He's not the best tactically and relies on bending/pushing rules and cheesy lists. All of which can be countered beforehand with agreements - this is what I used to do when I played him in the past and it helps turn it in to a decent game.

Soldato
Hopefully that's enough to put him in his box! I'm playing him because he's a bit...awkward and most people won't. He's not the best tactically and relies on bending/pushing rules and cheesy lists. All of which can be countered beforehand with agreements - this is what I used to do when I played him in the past and it helps turn it in to a decent game.

He sounds like the a few of the chaps you see in most gaming groups :p

Soldato
Just spent faaaaaaar too much money getting a load of Beastmen. They arrive next Saturday, when I pre-order the new paints giving me a week to build and prep them all and then try and fly through them in a couple of weeks using the new paints.

Soldato
Nice, I managed to eBay 3 of the new obliterators from the shadowspear box set.

Glued them they are really nice models.

Got all 3 for £29, I dunno how much they will be when GW release them in their own box but I suspect it'll be more than I paid.

Soldato
Nice, I managed to eBay 3 of the new obliterators from the shadowspear box set.

Glued them they are really nice models.

Got all 3 for £29, I dunno how much they will be when GW release them in their own box but I suspect it'll be more than I paid.

That's a good price.

I'm picking up a few more models to flesh out what I've bought from GW on eBay as I'm doing a lot of conversion work on the Beastmen.

Got it all planned and, rather sad I admit, looking forward to 2 weeks time when I get to execute it.

Soldato
Going to jump into AoS. Bought Tempest of Souls and some Orruk Brutes, along with some new paint to have a play with. Was going to get the Soul Wars set but it does not have the hand holding that I will need. Aiming to make some small 500 point ish armies to start with and see where it goes. Typically I bought it all at about 9 this morning, then at 3pm I get a "Its your birthday, have 10% off" email from Magic Madhouse. Would have saved £8.

Soldato
Going to jump into AoS. Bought Tempest of Souls and some Orruk Brutes, along with some new paint to have a play with. Was going to get the Soul Wars set but it does not have the hand holding that I will need. Aiming to make some small 500 point ish armies to start with and see where it goes. Typically I bought it all at about 9 this morning, then at 3pm I get a "Its your birthday, have 10% off" email from Magic Madhouse. Would have saved £8.
Welcome to AoS - it's a brilliant game!

Caporegime
Right 40k fans, 750 or list for IG vs blood angels. Hit me with critique...

Cadians

Company commander with kirovs and grand strategist. Bolter

Pask with punisher and heavy bolters chucking out pound them to dust.

3no. Infantry squads

2no. Leman russ conquerors with lascannons and plasma sponsons

Soldato
Right 40k fans, 750 or list for IG vs blood angels. Hit me with critique...

Cadians

Company commander with kirovs and grand strategist. Bolter

Pask with punisher and heavy bolters chucking out pound them to dust.

3no. Infantry squads

2no. Leman russ conquerors with lascannons and plasma sponsons

Let me know how it goes, unfortunately I am not very familiar with IG or Blood Angels so can't really critique or give much advice.

Maybe stating the obvious but you wana try and keep your tanks from getting charged, maybe use the infantry as screen because I'm not sure how much use flashlights will be against power armour.

Really depends what the blood angels bring.

Have fun.

Caporegime
They'll be bringing at least 1 furioso, probably 2. Thinking the big guns on the russes with their rerolls on the number of shots and to hit should be enough to take them out before they get to my lines since they'll be wounding on 3s.
Pask should be able to deal with a smash captain, again wounding on 3s but hitting on 2s and refilling any misses.
The meat sacks are there as nothing more than operation human shield to hopefully tie up anything that makes a break for my lines.

Soldato
Bringing big heavy stuff is probably the worst thing he could do against your guard, a fast bunch of CC guys much more nasty. It only takes, well, one of anything to make a charge against your lemon russes and completely shut them down for the rest of the game and then your buggered. Even if that thing can't really do any damage.

But it'll be interesting with such a small game, generally (I stress generally!) The more horde armies, tend to do better on larger points games, where elite armies scale the other way, but if he brings large targets for you to shoot at that should play right into your hands.

Don't forget to use your re-rolls early on in shooting, the effectiveness of your shooting phases for the first turn or two will make or break the game.

Caporegime
Definitely agree on the early shooting phases. Going to have to play smart to stop any deep strikes from tying up the tanks. I could drop the sponsons from them which would allow another infantry squad and would potentially help with that but the plasma cannons are awesome against marines.

Soldato
Definitely agree on the early shooting phases. Going to have to play smart to stop any deep strikes from tying up the tanks. I could drop the sponsons from them which would allow another infantry squad and would potentially help with that but the plasma cannons are awesome against marines.

Yea agree I'd keep the plasma guns.

Soldato
So I had a whirl on the new contrast paints at my local GW then pre-ordered some for my new Beastmen army.

They are definitely there for quick paint jobs to a reasonable standard. I smashed out a poxwalker in 20mins and it looked fairly decent, now I've done some at home and it's taken me an hour but the results are better.

Some colours it works brilliantly like brown and red, others I wasn't so hot on the effect like the flesh which surprised me as I expected that to be among the better ones.

I would never use contrast for metals, look too thin and to be blunt, crap. Someone had done some marine armour trim in what they say looks like gold and it reminds me of old paints pre metallic, passable but inferior.

So overall I was a little underwhelmed and 100% it will never put out the standard a "proper" paint job will but for horde armies and the like if you want to just paint to play it will certainly put out decent tabletop standard.

Soldato
Not sure what you were expecting tbh :p It's fine for the 'needs to look not **** from 2m away' but doesn't have much use other than that.

Expecting them to be a bit better than they are.

Reds and browns were great, purple looked amazing as well, and they came up in good tabletop standard easy but other colours were underwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom