• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
They have even ST scores and the 8700K boosts 12% higher ST, 4.2Ghz vs 4.7Ghz.

I don't know why he wrote "both clocked to 4.2Ghz" 4.2Ghz is the all core boost of the 8700K and the 3600 is less than that (3.9Ghz?) yet with the same number of threads is 8% faster in MT...

I wrote both clocked to 4.2Ghz because they are both clocked to 4.2Ghz. (I.e. the 8700k has been set to 4.2GHz)

It's a like-for-like comparison with the same single core boost and same memory frequency, the only unknown is the timings.

I think the result is disappointing, it's showing similar performance.

The 3600 is probably a great purchase, it's not about that.

Caporegime
I wrote both clocked to 4.2Ghz because they are both clocked to 4.2Ghz. (I.e. the 8700k has been set to 4.2GHz)

It's a like-for-like comparison with the same single core boost and same memory frequency, the only unknown is the timings.

I think the result is disappointing, it's showing similar performance.

The 3600 is probably a great purchase, it's not about that.

I looked in the link, maybe i'm going blind but i don't see where it says "both clocked at 4.2Ghz" it says 3.7Ghz for the 8700K and 3.6Ghz for the 3600, that's it.

what we know is the 8700K has a base clock of 3.7Ghz, it all core boosts to 4.2Ghz and single core to 4.7Ghz, the 3600 base clock is 3.6Ghz, all core boost in unknown and the single core turbo is 4.2Ghz.

without any other information that's what we have to go on.

So where did you get "both clocked at 4.2Ghz" from?

Soldato
You're right. They haven't said which is best for gaming. Obviously some of the cores will go to waste on the 3900X when gaming right now, and we can speculate as to whether one will be better than the other because of "x" or "y" but it's wrong to make out that AMD declared the 8 core the better gaming chip, or vice versa.

I'm quite looking forward to unleashing the 3900X on star citizen though. Any other games that scale with cores that high?

Humbug - I also didn't see where he got the 4.2Ghz from - glad I'm not the only one that couldn't see it lol.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
il say it again, the memory for the 3600 is slow at 3000, spec is 3200 so its not even running at spec. its on a x470 so is probably more of a bios test to see roughly how it performs for launch as i cant see a date it was tested on so no idea how mature the rig was as far as bios settings.

Associate
I looked in the link, maybe i'm going blind but i don't see where it says "both clocked at 4.2Ghz" it says 3.7Ghz for the 8700K and 3.6Ghz for the 3600, that's it.

what we know is the 8700K has a base clock of 3.7Ghz, it all core boosts to 4.2Ghz and single core to 4.7Ghz, the 3600 base clock is 3.6Ghz, all core boost in unknown and the single core turbo is 4.2Ghz.

without any other information that's what we have to go on.

So where did you get "both clocked at 4.2Ghz" from?

Well I didn't expect to get grilled on my source :D

a2tWGUW.png

Caporegime
Caporegime
As in, I didn't think I needed to post the source. Why would I make **** up? I've been relatively 'pro' AMD on this thread as you well know :p

You always post the source, people can only go on content you post.

If you give someone a link to a result simply saying "both these running at 4.2Ghz" when there's nothing in the link to state that's true then it could be anything, the last time someone did that it turned out the 8700K result he posted was actually at way over 5Ghz.

People post all kinds of crap in these threads and others like it, its not by a long way unusual, to avoid any doubt just post the source, it takes 2 seconds.

Permabanned
You always post the source, people can only go on content you post.

If you give someone a link to a result simply saying "both these running at 4.2Ghz" when there's nothing in the link to state that's true then it could be anything, the last time someone did that it turned out the 8700K result he posted was actually at way over 5Ghz.

People post all kinds of crap in these threads and others like it, its not by a long way unusual, to avoid any doubt just post the source, it takes 2 seconds.
I posted this benchmark with source eeeemmm 6 hours ago or so...
By this time of a day even video was made... LOL

The 80ns memory latency on that benchmark SUCKS seems its not improved since Zen1 !!!
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13437018

Caporegime
I posted this benchmark with source eeeemmm 6 hours ago or so...
By this time of a day even video was made... LOL

The 80ns memory latency on that benchmark SUCKS seems its not improved since Zen1 !!!
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13437018

Contrary to popular belief i don't sit here hammering the F5 key all day and night, if you're going to make a relevant statement from outside the forum post the source, you don't claim your Tax Returns without providing evidence via receipts and expect HMRC to take you at your word.

Anyway, when it comes to memory latency comparing different architectures is utterly irrelevant, Ryzen 2000 has higher memory latency to Skylake-X and yet clock for clock Ryzen 2000 is a better gaming CPU.

Soldato
Well now some doubt has been cast on the 3800X being the fastest of the new CPU's the 3900X is back in the running! It's really more than I need but it's been so long since I've built a new system I'm getting tempted to go all in.

Navi custom cards sound like they'll be a couple of months after launch day so give me time to save up a bit more.

The comments regarding "I think you will change your mind when you see what Navi + 3x00 will do." are also intriguing...link is in the Navi thread.

Soldato
I'd be surprised if the 3800x isn't a nose ahead of the 3900x for gaming. The TDP uplift is almost certainly to give xfr2/pbo some headroom and dual channel to 1 chiplet vs single channel to each.... should be a minor win to dual channel. I don't really see where the 3900X could win, more cores on geographically different bits of silicon vs single chiplet HAS to be at least a minor latency hit.
I guess if doubling the cache relates to a massive overall performance increase..? I don't see where else the 3900X could win (on paper at least).

I may get both, bench them, sell on the looser (unless we get a better idea from more thorough leaks or stock levels look good). I don't really fancy being gouged on releases prices, pre-orders for sure (or buy from over the pond).

Associate
I'd be surprised if the 3800x isn't a nose ahead of the 3900x for gaming. The TDP uplift is almost certainly to give xfr2/pbo some headroom and dual channel to 1 chiplet vs single channel to each.... should be a minor win to dual channel. I don't really see where the 3900X could win, more cores on geographically different bits of silicon vs single chiplet HAS to be at least a minor latency hit.
I guess if doubling the cache relates to a massive overall performance increase..? I don't see where else the 3900X could win (on paper at least).

I may get both, bench them, sell on the looser (unless we get a better idea from more thorough leaks or stock levels look good). I don't really fancy being gouged on releases prices, pre-orders for sure (or buy from over the pond).

Please don't think outside of the box, it's not allowed in here. :D

Jokes aside, this is why I said I expect the 3800X to be the stronger in gaming, even if it's just. The power to cores/Freq dont make sense to me and I don't think the binning is that wild to be the reason. If true then you are getting bad silicon for $400.

Associate
I think the reason why the 3800x seems to have such a high tdp compared to the 3700x and 3900x is because the 3700x has 2 4 core chiplets and it shuts down 1 chiplet to get maximum 4 core boost while keeping power use down and the 3900x does the same but with 6 core boost.

Associate
30% more compared to what? Previous x470 or or Intel's current. And it's not just pcie 4.0, the chipset, the extra VRMs, the extra PCB layers/tracers, the general board options, etc are all above that of what they have previously done.
I have a Gigabyte Designare X399 with 8 layer pcb and a hell more stuff than an average X570 board that cost me brand new 300€. pciex 4.0 is NOT a leapfrog technically speaking. Same traces, different standards, that most high end x470 boards can pass today.

Justifying the price hikes only hurts the consumer. I dont know about you all, but I am a consumer. Maybe we have conflicting interests in the matter ;)

Permabanned
I have a Gigabyte Designare X399 with 8 layer pcb and a hell more stuff than an average X570 board that cost me brand new 300€. pciex 4.0 is NOT a leapfrog technically speaking. Same traces, different standards, that most high end x470 boards can pass today.

Justifying the price hikes only hurts the consumer. I dont know about you all, but I am a consumer. Maybe we have conflicting interests in the matter ;)

If you think deeply, no, we all have the same interests as humans. It just that several people must justify their wages.

We can effectively accuse AMD and intel of limitting the access to new technology to the majority of the population. Which should be a geopolitical question and matter, to be honest.
If it depends on me, I would sponsor so that the poorest customers get the 8-core chips for 100 euros, and all get very cheap 4K screens, as minimum.

Soldato
I think the reason why the 3800x seems to have such a high tdp compared to the 3700x and 3900x is because the 3700x has 2 4 core chiplets and it shuts down 1 chiplet to get maximum 4 core boost while keeping power use down and the 3900x does the same but with 6 core boost.
Can they do that? You mean during work loads? What's does the OS think?

Back
Top Bottom