• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Sorry for the real general question, but so many things are floating round my head.

I know it’s difficult to say precisely, but do you think a £1500 budget will be enough for:

Ryzen 3800X,
X570 mobo
3400Mhz RAM (16GB)
M2 drive
New Navi card
Nice RGB case
RGB case can be had for very resonable price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=kolink+observatory
Same for high end RGB cooler.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scyt...-cpu-cooler-with-pwm-fan-120mm-hs-04c-sy.html
Mugen 5 is just step behind the best heatpipe coolers and beats average waterpipe coolers in cooling per noise.

Are you talking ordinary SATA or NVMe though?
For gaming use important difference is between mechanical HDD and SSD:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nvme+ssd+hdd
Paying for the highest snake oil synthetic benchmarketing numbers is simply total waste of money unless having very specific work loads.

Caporegime
I am still using SSD and those videos prove I’m not missing out...the thing going for NVME is no cables...but in my case the ssds are on the back of the motherboard so I don’t have any cables on view...

Samsung Evo m2 500gb £100
Samsung evo ssd 500gb £50

Caporegime
I am still using SSD and those videos prove I’m not missing out...the thing going for NVME is no cables...but in my case the ssds are on the back of the motherboard so I don’t have any cables on view...

Samsung Evo m2 500gb £100
Samsung evo ssd 500gb £50

Its not just no cables it's absolutely minimal space usage, which i guess doesnt matter if space isnt a concern.

Soldato
TDP is purely boost clock management for new processors. 2700 and 2700x are same silicon with different boost profiles

The question for me is which coolers can shift 200W+ while keeping die temperature <60C to maximise boost.

Maximising boost will be much easier on the 3800X with 8 cores, so is likely to need high end air with good fans or a beefy AIO / CLC. Whereas maximising XFR on the 3900X is going to need a quality high flow AIO or full water-cooling.
2700 and 2700X are likely differently binned.
Those dies which don't clock that well get sold as 2700.
Every piece of silicon simply isn't of same quality and unless there's excess of top bin dies those are used in most expensive SKUs.

Zen2 computing dies are going to be binned in exactly similar way.
There's also chance for 3900X cores to be in average of higher quality with weak cores of the dies disabled.
Lot easier to find die with six high quality cores than eight high quality cores.

And for keeping core temperatures under control 3900X actually has thermal density advantage:
There's only 50% more cores to produce heat with 100% larger silicon area to conduct it away.

Untill we have thorough reviews only AMD knows complete situation. (+possibly those under NDA)
Especially when in use interesting most of us, gaming, all 12 cores won't get hammered.

Soldato
I wanna see gaming benches between them first tbh.

8/16 will be plenty until the refresh, at which point a better 12/24 will be likely be available. Outside of productivity, editing, streaming etc the 12/24 is likely to be very expensive for gaming with cores sitting pretty much unused. It's pretty much a certainty that no games will be released in the next 12-24 months that can't run at 100% on 8/16 regardless of card as it would damage sales. 4/8 would be out, and 6/12 would struggle. Far too much of the market isolated. Anything that does will be some early release obscure rarity for pc only that's probably not worth touching for years.

Caporegime
8/16 will be plenty until the refresh, at which point a better 12/24 will be likely be available. Outside of productivity, editing, streaming etc the 12/24 is likely to be very expensive for gaming with cores sitting pretty much unused. It's pretty much a certainty that no games will be released in the next 12-24 months that can't run at 100% on 8/16 regardless of card as it would damage sales. 4/8 would be out, and 6/12 would struggle. Far too much of the market isolated. Anything that does will be some early release obscure rarity for pc only that's probably not worth touching for years.
So what sort of applications make use of all 12 cores? Is it really just heavy video editing/3D rendering, that sort of stuff?

Caporegime
So what sort of applications make use of all 12 cores? Is it really just heavy video editing/3D rendering, that sort of stuff?

I’d wait for reviews....the interesting bit is how far the 3700x overclocks and the headroom in the 3800x and 3900x

The $100 difference between the 3800x and 3900x is interesting too....is the $25 per core worth the extra...

Soldato
This WhyCry chap also had a slide "sent to him" of the RX 5700 XT. Both of these slides have the same "camera phone picture of something displayed on a big monitor" quality to them so I'd say they were from the same source. Whether they're actually slides from AMD's E3 event or meticulous fakes remains to be seen.

105W TDP though?

Soldato

GAC

GAC

Soldato
now for the fun one, how much for the weee beastie, online prices the cheapest threadripper 16 core 2950x is £812, but going from 8 to 12 cores on ryzen 3000 is only $100 more but id feel $600 would be too low compared with threadripper, if they did do it for $600 though intels toast.

Back
Top Bottom