Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order (Respawn Entertainment)

Soldato
I'm just delighted we're getting a modern single player Star Wars game after the news last year about the supposed single player Star Wars game being canned. Looking forward to the experience after enjoying the single player campaign in Battlefront 2.

Associate
I'm just delighted we're getting a modern single player Star Wars game after the news last year about the supposed single player Star Wars game being canned. Looking forward to the experience after enjoying the single player campaign in Battlefront 2.

Hold that thought until you find out what nuggets of hell they are holding back. Likely to be a sting in the tail where EA are concerned.

Soldato
Here is the game description from Origin, the lightsabre combat sounds interesting - it could all ride on how well that's been done...

A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in Star WarsJedi: Fallen Order™, a new third-person action-adventure title from Respawn Entertainment. This narratively driven, single-player game puts you in the role of a Jedi Padawan who narrowly escaped the purge of Order 66 following the events of Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. On a quest to rebuild the Jedi Order, you must pick up the pieces of your shattered past to complete your training, develop new powerful Force abilities and master the art of the iconic lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire and its deadly Inquisitors.

While mastering your abilities, players will engage in cinematically charged lightsaber and Force combat designed to deliver the kind of intense Star Wars lightsaber battles as seen in the films. Players will need to approach enemies strategically, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing your Jedi training to overcome your opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in your path.

Star Wars fans will recognize iconic locations, weapons, gear and enemies while also meeting a roster of fresh characters, locations, creatures, droids and adversaries new to Star Wars. As part of this authentic Star Wars story, fans will delve into a galaxy recently seized by the Empire. As a Jedi hero-turned-fugitive, players will need to fight for survival while exploring the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization all in an effort to rebuild the remnants of the Jedi Order as the Empire seeks to erase the Jedi completely.

Pre-order Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to outfit yourself with unique cosmetic equipment for your lightsaber and droid companion.

DELUXE EDITION PRE-ORDER OFFER

Get the story behind the game when you pre-order the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Deluxe Edition, featuring a "Director's Cut" suite of behind-the-scenes features and content as well as additional unique cosmetic equipment for your adventure. You will also receive all of the pre-order bonus content.

KEY FEATURES

Cinematic, Immersive Combat – Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system–striking, parrying, dodging–partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you’ll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.

A New Jedi Story Begins - As a former Padawan on the run from the Empire, you must complete your training before Imperial Inquisitors discover your plan to revive the Jedi Order. Aided by a former Jedi Knight, a cantankerous pilot and a fearless droid, you must escape the evil machinations of the Empire in a story-driven adventure. Explore and overcome a wide range of challenges focused on combat, exploration and puzzle-solving.

The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you’ll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order.

Soldato
The bit about "move quickly" at the end almost makes it sound like it could have an FTL like almost rouge-like quality to it, which would be super interesting... Rather than a set progression of linear story levels there's only so much you have time to do on each run through the game so you have to try and adapt and route your way through

Soldato
The bit about "move quickly" at the end almost makes it sound like it could have an FTL like almost rouge-like quality to it, which would be super interesting... Rather than a set progression of linear story levels there's only so much you have time to do on each run through the game so you have to try and adapt and route your way through

Ugh. I hate that forced time limiting to make the game seem longer that it is. It's just trying to hide limited options and repeated levels. It actually discourages exploring if there's an artificial time limit. It sounds like they might be trying to copy Prey Mooncrash where you repeat the same levels over and over with new powers to expand each run though every time.

I want to play at my own pace, not at a forced run to hide the game's limitations.

Soldato
Ugh. I hate that forced time limiting to make the game seem longer that it is. It's just trying to hide limited options and repeated levels. It actually discourages exploring if there's an artificial time limit. It sounds like they might be trying to copy Prey Mooncrash where you repeat the same levels over and over with new powers to expand each run though every time.

I want to play at my own pace, not at a forced run to hide the game's limitations.

I didn't mean like a literal time-limit counting down... more like there are multiple branching and joining paths through the game (like the nodes on the starmap in FTL) so choosing to go one route will lock you out of another (for that playthrough at least)... maybe some routes are way harder than others but offer better rewards... Some of your attempts will end with the imperials catching up to and maybe succeeding in taking you out... but within each individual level there's not any time pressure so you can still exhaustively explore etc.

I agree that it's sort of a way to artificially lengthen the game, but there's nothing wrong with that if there really are multiple viable paths which offer different experiences

Associate
The gameplay is very reminiscent of The Force Unleashed, right down to the ability points, double jumping, lack of dismemberment, and using force powers to overcome simple obstacles.
It wouldn't surprise me if one of the boss encounters is an AT-ST or a Rancor! We've seen it all before.

Would it kill them to make an open-world RPG in the Star Wars universe that has multiple classes, races, and vehicles? Preferably with realtime combat instead of the turn-based system from Knights of the Old Republic!

Soldato
I understand it’s probably in alpha, not representative of final product etc, and I KNOW stormtroopers are meant to be dumb cannon fodder but the AI in that demo looked beyond dumb and almost appeared to be running towards Cal asif on a treadmill going backwards.

Soldato
I thought it looked alright, pretty much what I expected (EA does the recent God of War but with a Star Wars skin), but with a dose of Uncharted/Tomb Raider parkour... Happy to see the lightsaber have the stopping power it should... My main thought/concern is how they are going to make the gameplay challenging enough to be fun? The demo they showed looked nice but incredibly easy...

Off the top of my head, I guess it would be good to balance things by making all weapons realistically dangerous too - okay so you can cut down stormtroopers with one swing, but if they manage to land a shot on you it's going to be somewhere between pretty debilitating and lethal (depending on where it hits you I guess)... Combined with giving you a good set of abilities (like deflecting or force-freezing the shots as seen in the demo) that, if used right, will allow you to avoid taking those hits... But currently it seems like you are a laser-sponge and running room to room waggling your saber about and making the men fall down with no challenge feels like it'll get old pretty fast

My only other real thoughts about the gameplay was that, not unlike Uncharted, it felt like a bit of a set-piece tour... It being linear isn't a bad thing but I hope they don't lean too hard on strict corridors with lots of scripted moments (hopefully it was only that way because they wanted it to be carefully controlled for the demo)... a few parts where the levels open out into a bit of a "wider corridor" with room for you to setup your engagement with the enemies or handle things with some agency would be nice...

I'm not sure if it was just me being critical but was anyone else disappointed by the graphics a bit? The levels looked good enough but the character animations were... I don't know... not as good as I thought they would be. Or perhaps it's just that they are showing what the game will actually look like for once

Back
Top Bottom