Poll: Canadian Grand Prix 2019, Montréal - Race 7/21

Rate the 2019 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Hamilton never overtook in the race. So, why the win for him? Because of some virtual potential that he could have overtaken and kept the lead. Which is ridiculous.
The penalty was stupid.
They should have forced Sebastian to move to the second place, so Sebastian could have had the chance to take the position back.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Nah, that was farcical. Narrow section of track with concrete walls either side, unavoidable in my opinion and I couldn't care less for Vettel or Ferrari

Sure Hamilton would have got him given more room but he had nowhere to go. That's just racing. He still had the chance to get past but the penalty made the inevitable (in my opinion) overtake unecessary so they backed off.

The formula isn't working any more. Another essentially uneventful race the highlights were pretty brief despite the way in which it was won. Really disappointing.

Caporegime
There's nothing better than watching Vettel throwing a tantrum after choking under pressure, moving the 1st and 2nd signs was pretty funny though.

The stewards were spot on, Vettel had the whole left side of the track to safely rejoin but his instinct was to join as soon as possible and block Hamilton's line, it was the only way he could hold his position after the mistake he made.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They should have forced Sebastian to move to the second place, so Sebastian could have had the chance to take the position back.

Ferrari could have made that decision to avoid the 5sec penalty, I think everyone apart from David Coulthard realised Vettel had kept his position unfairly.

He should be angry with himself for making a mistake under pressure (again), that's what put him in the position.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whoever thinks vettel wasn’t capable of returning to the track safely need to take a step back and calm down, it was a very clever move but he got caught. If it was karting he’d have got away with it but unfortunately there’s so much telemetry and video footage in f1 there’s nowhere to hide.

Caporegime
It's clear this is a very polarising issue, but I'm inclined to agree with the previous Grand Prix racers, Grand Prix Winners and World Champions who all said they didn't believe it was an unsafe entry, or while it wasn't safe, Vettel had no control and the turn to the right wasn't intentional over any Internet Heroes here and elsewhere.

Caporegime
Hamilton never overtook in the race. So, why the win for him? Because of some virtual potential that he could have overtaken and kept the lead. Which is ridiculous.
The penalty was stupid.

This is a known rule in F1, if you kept a place by acting unfairly, gaining an advantage leaving the track or blocking someone in that manor then give the position up, if he did that they wouldn't have penalised him.

Reality was Hamilton was faster, if he got ahead he'd have built a gap easily which is why they wouldn't even consider that.

Ex drivers are almost the worst people for judging things fairly. You have footballers saying that ain't a penalty, for something that clearly is, just because it's a situation they hated getting a penalty against them for rather than it actually being a bad call. Ex drivers are the same, they hate to get penalties for things like that but that doesn't make it wrong. Ex drivers are amongst the most biased and in my experience least likely to call things correctly, they also don't account for rule changes since they've been driving either. "that wasn't a penalty in my day", even if true, it's irrelevant, is it a penalty now.

The idea that vettel was out of control the whole time is basically just nonsense, you can see the slowmo replays from onboard Vettel. When he hits the track sure there is a kick, though you can argue part of that is he accelerates because he knows what's coming. But after that quick blast of counter steering to get control, he's in control, he turns quite hard so change his line from going straight into the wall but long before he gets there he straightens out the steering wheel. For me he's in complete control at this point, but rather than turning to not end up closer to the wall, he eases off the turn and that imo is to make sure Hamilton can't get through.

Several things that Vettel has said since are, I couldn't see Hamilton.... a guy right behind him for 10 laps, a blind man would know where he'd be at that point. That Hamilton could have gone around to the left.... just, no, at normal speed and making the corner then he can't at race speed just decide to go for off line because he has no clue that Vettel isn't going to do his best to not stay off the racing line. Later on he said something along the lines of these guys obviously don't know how hard it is to control the car one handed, while on the radio, with grass on the tires. So he accelerated (it would seem from the engine noise anyway) entering the track despite himself knowing grip would be worse than normal, he was on the radio which he's saying effected his ability to control the car.. strike 2 really. You're in an unsafe situation, you choose then to be on the radio when about to re-enter the track, and strike 3, you did it one handed, again in that situation? He's arguing he didn't re-enter the track unsafely, but has given reasons that he made it less safe.

Realistically for me he should have given up the place then fought for it, and when drivers don't do that they get a penalty. I think he had a snap of oversteer, caught it but didn't do much to leave space for Hamilton after he quite clearly had control of the car back. At the time when Hamilton finally had to back off and then Vettel moved another several inches over, such that if Hamilton hadn't backed out there would ahve been a crash, Vettel was not oversteering, he wasn't out of control and he was turning less than he previously was while still under control, meaning he could turn more and leave space but didn't because he knew Hamilton had the run at him and it was game over.

Meh. More importantly, tires are crap. Canada has been dire two years in a row, yet it was way better in 2017, it's not the cars, it's not the aero, it's the tires, they didn't work well today. Hards faster than softs, no ability to push the softs to be faster, softs went plenty long if you wanted them to without really losing performance again, mediums and harders able to be pushed harder. Very few cars were able to make passes and again it's not aero or regulations around the cars, they did way way better in 2017. The tires changed in 2018 and LOADS of tracks got much much worse, and 2019 has made a them worse again. Going back to 2018 tires won't help because they were crap last year.

This race was a borefest for the most part, just people not pushing and going long, unable to push the tires to go faster. At the very least they need to return to 2017 tires, they didn't degrade and were too hard... but they could actually still be pushed hard and the softer compounds were still faster than the harder ones, the drivers were still able to push hard to catch up if the car was there.

The big and completely overshadowed story is the tires are once again unfit for purpose.

Associate
Anyone just watch Johnny interview Stroll?.Uuuhhhh I raced uhhhhh finished p9 uhhhhhh
I cant stand him at all, shouldn't even be in F1 and wouldn't if it wasn't for daddy

I do feel sorry for Vettel but he got what he deserved IMO, if he hadn't have given it full bean when he came back on and blocked Hamilton he would have been overtaken. He should have just given him the position and tried to get it back. The Ferrari was faster on the straights so would have had a decent chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
I do feel sorry for Vettel but he got what he deserved IMO, if he hadn't have given it full bean when he came back on and blocked Hamilton he would have been overtaken. He should have just given him the position and tried to get it back. The Ferrari was faster on the straights so would have had a decent chance.

Pretty standard practice really, we see it all the time. The only difference here is that rather than gaining an advantage by going off track and cutting out the corner, he's gone off track and gained an advantage by blocking, probably unintentionally, the car behind who otherwise would have been long gone down the road.

The problem in terms of racing was that both Mercedes and Ferrari were very close in terms of pace, so neither was getting by without a mistake from the other.

Vettel's meltdown was amusing as ever. I felt bad for him at the end though and thought he did well by telling the crowd that it wasn't Hamilton to blame and to stop booing. At the end of the day Hamilton doesn't even need that win and isn't even racing Vettel. I'm sure he is happy with his 30 point or so lead though.

Soldato
It's clear this is a very polarising issue, but I'm inclined to agree with the previous Grand Prix racers, Grand Prix Winners and World Champions who all said they didn't believe it was an unsafe entry, or while it wasn't safe, Vettel had no control and the turn to the right wasn't intentional over any Internet Heroes here and elsewhere.
Well as DM said. Ex drivers dont make for good pundits, just like ex footballers too.

Associate
Pretty standard practice really, we see it all the time. The only difference here is that rather than gaining an advantage by going off track and cutting out the corner, he's gone off track and gained an advantage by blocking, probably unintentionally, the car behind who otherwise would have been long gone down the road.

The problem in terms of racing was that both Mercedes and Ferrari were very close in terms of pace, so neither was getting by without a mistake from the other.

Vettel's meltdown was amusing as ever. I felt bad for him at the end though and thought he did well by telling the crowd that it wasn't Hamilton to blame and to stop booing. At the end of the day Hamilton doesn't even need that win and isn't even racing Vettel. I'm sure he is happy with his 30 point or so lead though.
Yeah it was a nice touch. People assume they dont get on but they do. I have posted it before but this video is great and shows it
https://youtu.be/pfgtp0-t60g

Permabanned
Lol, Lewis just doesn't care these days (out of the car)

in the car he's a monster, poor old Vettel trying to cling on to a small crumb. Doesn't change the rest of the season and they weren't really any faster than Merc.

Come on Lewis lets make it 6.

Man of Honour
Yeah it was a nice touch. People assume they dont get on but they do. I have posted it before but this video is great and shows it
https://youtu.be/pfgtp0-t60g

They often have a laugh and a joke in the press conferences too, they seem to get on pretty well.

Lol, Lewis just doesn't care these days (out of the car)

I agree that he doesn't seem to care much these days, but it probably also helps to know that this championship is wrapped up.

Soldato
Even in the BTCC, you would have to give that position to the car behind you. Vettel's behaviour afterwards was a massive smoke screen to cover up the fact, that he himself had mucked up big style.

Man of Honour
Even in the BTCC, you would have to give that position to the car behind you. Vettel's behaviour afterwards was a massive smoke screen to cover up the fact, that he himself had mucked up big style.

It was a poor error. No way was Hamilton getting by, but again vettel cracks. The argument of turbulence from the back markers just doesn’t fly. Hamilton arguably had the same turbulence for most of the race and suffered at worst a few lockup’s on the unloaded wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom