Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Scream - great info thank you. I have exterior house lights, 7W or 11W leds all round. On a timer so there is low light at night.

If I was exploring a pc, 4 cameras with wifi/cables which cameras would suffice? 720 or 1080? Or could they have memory cards on-board? I have access to mains power at all camera 4 locations. Only 1 camera would not be tucked away under the eaves on south facing wall exposed to the elements. Cheers.

1080 is 2MP and cams are moving on.

At the minute the DS-2CD2335 3MP Hik cam’s are the best all round cameras. Superior low light and great during the day. They have a slot for an SD-Card.

If one of your cams are subject to bad weather, you can get a ‘hood’ attachment over the cam that shields the camera but tbh, the cams should be built so you don’t need it.

Stick to Poe. So much easier for installation. One cat cable powers and sends data.

There are new Hik EasyIP 4.0 cams out now. I am sorting out some to test. They will be my choice of cams if I like them. The new low light 8MP cam should be interesting.

If you can hold out for a few weeks, they might be worth buying instead.

Associate
1080 is 2MP and cams are moving on.

At the minute the DS-2CD2335 3MP Hik cam’s are the best all round cameras.................Stick to Poe. So much easier for installation. One cat cable powers and sends data.............If you can hold out for a few weeks, they might be worth buying instead.

Thanks a million scream.

So I could use 4 cameras, cat 5 cable, a 4 port POE thingy of a certain wattage and an old PC with blueiris. Is that the right idea?

What size HDD would I need? 1TB? For home?

Thanks

Soldato
Yes.

Quite a few people using blueiris are buying a 2nd hand I5/I7 workstation like the Dell OptiPlex from the bay. Just make sure you can add a good video card if you want to use a 4K screen to get the best output for viewing.

2TB would be better

Last edited:
Soldato
My supplier is charging £105 inc Vat for the 2345

Using an existing supplier for something else, i've got a quote for:
Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera (4mm) £100.14inc VAT

Huzzah. Now to decide on the following:
  • Hikvision NVR
  • Synology Surveillance Station
  • Blue Iris

Last edited:
Soldato
Advantage of BlueIris, is you can mix and match camera brands and still maintain the smart features of that camera. If you add a Dahua camera to a Hik NVR or vice versa, you will lose the smart features.

Caporegime
amazon sell cameras for £20-£25 which will do the job better and are designed for this thing unlike a go pro.

if you want to spend more you will get 1080p models ,etc rather than 720p.

Caporegime
ah cool, thanks
can you get ones that either extend upwards or are quite tall ?

No I have one on a stack of books. I'm sure you must also have books you never use or something like that? just needs to be tall enough to look out the window. i have the top book angled so the camera faces downwards but some cameras you can tilt so no need to angle the base.

Underboss
No I have one on a stack of books. I'm sure you must also have books you never use or something like that? just needs to be tall enough to look out the window. i have the top book angled so the camera faces downwards but some cameras you can tilt so no need to angle the base.

ah i see, angled one with books underneath, that will do ! cheers

ill have a quick look at the shop

Underboss
Underboss
neos camera for £25 then.

you will get reflection and glare. it depends as it's really bad in my kitchen window but everywhere else it's fine.

just read a review
sounds a bit crap if it cant record the events !!

Good motion detection. However, potential buyers be aware that Neos records 12s of video to cloud and then has a 5 minute cool off period before recording again. This means that the burglars can run round and round your house and not be recorded to cloud.
Apparently a SD card will record all events but this is only useful after the robbery and assumes that the Neos has not been stolen.

i need it recording all the time, think this wont work

Back
Top Bottom