Do you have passion in your life?

Associate
No. Similar story to many on here - I'm knocking on 42 now, got married and had kids in the last decade. Family life coupled with work took over everything. Even with loads of 'me-time' via a recent redundancy, I've recently found myself wasting quite a lot of time after achieving what I felt I needed to (MCSA and MCSE certs). I did have passions when I was young - Skateboarding, fast cars and videogames are pretty much it - but the skateboarding has long gone with age/time/injuries, I have a clean DC5 as my non-family car which is hardly fast these days and videogames I don't play so much now unless its short indie platformers which I can complete over a couple of evenings.

I could still say I do the things I enjoy and am passionate about, but the drive has been whittled away somewhat due to responsibility and priority changes.

Soldato
Wanted to leave that out so people consider what they're passionate about as people will automatically think "I want to do that " :). But movies, media, directing and anything related including working with companies on technology products relating to the industry.Where over here your potential might be judged by pieces of paper and some don't want you to be more successful than they are(hold you back, destroy your confidence), and there are the things they faced, they headed to the States, the land of opportunity, and due to his passion, was presented with those opportunities. Runs own company, works with top celebs, directs, films, is an Academy member (can join by recommendation only - you cannot apply for that) so involved with the Oscars too.
So, Uni in the UK told them to give up on their dreams as they won't achieve them due to lack of qualitications, they've achieved more than most do with degrees in the industry :). Still involved in the UK too - was on career posters in London a while ago encouraging people to follow their dreams or something.

ahh, was curious - sounds great! (if you can do that kind of thing)

Associate
In fact this is a good time for me to revisit this thread. I'm pretty happy with my life pushing 40 in the not so distant future whilst not earning the mega bucks. I take joy in the little things like my bikes, being very good at my job, having more than enough money to do what I want, I've travelled all over the world, great family, the home brew which gets liberally dished out to friends and family.

My wife's friends partner is having a full blown meltdown, as in actual childish tantrums where she had to spent £5k on holidays just to cheer him up (money she doesn't have and has had to borrow off family), because he is 30 this year and isn't a CEO yet and earning £150k+ which is what he considers he is worth. This is despite him earning some very nice money at his current company and living in Amsterdam.

I really don't understand that mindset and it's so utterly alien to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife's friends partner is having a full blown meltdown, as in actual childish tantrums where she had to spent £5k on holidays just to cheer him up (money she doesn't have and has had to borrow off family), because he is 30 this year and isn't a CEO yet and earning £150k+ which is what he considers he is worth. This is despite him earning some very nice money at his current company and living in Amsterdam.

I really don't understand that mindset and it's so utterly alien to me.

It's built into man's nature, to protect and provide. If they feel they are not achieving this by a particular time then they can have a brake down.

Abit like many women whose biological clock is ticking and they haven't found a particular man to have kids with once in their 30's.

Soldato
Airsoft for me. I love everything about it, the guns/gear, improving them, hunting down bargains, building my armoury, but most importantly playing, outdoors in a woods/forest/building, away from work, TV, consoles etc etc with like minded people. It's a positive escape, plus good exercise. Trying new sites, meeting new people etc.

It does take all your money tho.

Soldato
Being a Wage Slave - I'm only a wage slave in the job I love because the management are so utterly ******* useless that they intentionally drain the "fun" by mainly being sad little power-trippers. I did "their" job for over 10 years (at a previous place of work) and never made a work-force so demoralised yet if you play Golf or have a funny handshake you automatically jump the queue for promotions, even if your actual leadership ability would be overtaken by an asthmatic snail in a race.

I suggested 3 extremely minor changes which would massively improve morale at zero cost, yet our amazing managers say "nope" as apparently they prefer the "small stick big stick" method to motivation, having never heard of a carrot in their lives.

As mentioned, I really love the job that I do. It's mostly varied everyday (maybe 15% max job repetition per day) with constant new learning points and mostly done outdoors in a physically challenging environment with complex mental problems to solve so I get to use all my training and skill which makes the job (for me) more enjoyable than most would expect.

Passions
- The New York Giants and driving fast cars whilst looking like I'm having a mid-life crisis :D I've been a NFL fan since the mid 80's when I was 10 and only missed Superbowls when there has been no option to see it (ex-military) so thats my biggest passion but my more immature "mentally still 18 years old" side loves driving fast in loud cars.

Soldato
Yeh I ******* love the NFL ... it just sucks its not so popular in the UK as talking to people about it is like grinding teeth.

More broadly though I think people need to be careful with the term passion.
Living in the moment and making good decisions are generally going to help you out in life much more than any passion.

You can constantly wonder what if, what now and never appreciate what you have right in front of you.

Associate
Mines Jujitsu. Every day either teaching or training. I fact so much relaxation in attempting to break arms and choke people. as the same time as defending against others doing the same. If i cant train i end up with anxiety through the roof.

Associate
Nobody bought a DC5 because it was a Lambo beater. It's because it's a true drivers car. Good choice. If only I'd kept my mint condition 200SX

All too true. So much fun to drive...

I have the same regrets selling my Elise 111S. Again, not the fastest car around but just so great to drive. I see what looks to be a nice 200SX around Stoke on occasion, looks standard too which is rare.

Caporegime
My passion is returning next year: Motorcycling.

I used to ride bikes all the time from about 16-21, you couldn't get me off the damn things and if you wanted to find me, the first place anyone would look was my shed, where I'd be spannering on stuff. Sadly when I moved to London I got myself in to a ton of debt which meant that the last few years was literally just spent paying off loans and credit cards. From next year those shackles will be off so I'll be able to buy a bike and enjoy it. To make up for lost time I'll probably buy a track bike as well, so I can get my spannering fix too. That or a track car. Maybe a Clio 172, Cooper S or something along those lines.

Soldato
I've been through quite a few hobbies over the years with the big ones being martial arts in my 20s. Been mountain biking on and off, tried squash and even went on a course, tried strength training which lasted a couple of years before I realised I didn't want to get any bigger so dropped that. Did running for about 6 months and got bored when I was hitting around 10k and didn't really have any interest in going further. Tried to rejoin the gym but haven't been for about a month now even though a quite enjoyed doing circuit training.

Also tried doing a kayaking course for a few weeks but dropped out on the 2nd to last week as it just didn't catch my interest like I thought it would. All I manage these days is some retro gaming on the arcade machine I built and that's about it. I'm honestly at a loss what to try next...

Caporegime
I've been through quite a few hobbies over the years with the big ones being martial arts in my 20s. Been mountain biking on and off, tried squash and even went on a course, tried strength training which lasted a couple of years before I realised I didn't want to get any bigger so dropped that. Did running for about 6 months and got bored when I was hitting around 10k and didn't really have any interest in going further. Tried to rejoin the gym but haven't been for about a month now even though a quite enjoyed doing circuit training.

Also tried doing a kayaking course for a few weeks but dropped out on the 2nd to last week as it just didn't catch my interest like I thought it would. All I manage these days is some retro gaming on the arcade machine I built and that's about it. I'm honestly at a loss what to try next...

Build a pond :D

Associate
Unfortunately not.

The only thing I feel passionate about is travelling the world. It's the only time I ever feel free. My life outlook changes instantly the second I step off the plane until the second I set foot back home.

Sadly I'm too apprehensive about doing it alone. Even though I know loads that have done it and never looked back.

Caporegime
Interesting discussions in this thread. I’ve been down in the dumps for quite some time which seems to be a direct result of asking the ‘now what?’ question. I have spent way too much energy in my life assuming I’d be happy and content when I have achieved things. What a load of rubbish. Achieving hasn’t made me content at all! :/
Hey @Nitefly That's probably not quite true though, is it? It's not unreasonable to put time and effort into things which, at the time, you think will make you happy. That actually makes a ton of sense! Go you!

Advice to whippersnappers (probably few on the forums these days): put your energy into things you enjoy and do it all for you, not for anyone else nor their expectations.
I'm on the fence on this one. I'm a huge believer in 'do you for you' but not to the exclusion of others all the time. I don't think that's what you're stating but there we are :)

So, I’m working on finding some peace. My current approach is putting effort into things that I know I have a passion for that I seem to have put on the side burner due to a lack of energy (or, frankly, because they are hard).

I’ll be a muscular guitar god before you know it. Y’all see! And heck, even if I still feel a little lost at the end, I will have enjoyed the journey a whole lot more :)

I'm assuming this is a real example and it's a good one because learning guitar is tough as boots. You can never be good enough, there's always better. What you can do is keep practising and develop your skills and sound.

And, uh, that'll be $100 for today's session.

Associate
My biggest passion at the moment is music, I love listening to music (specially rock/metal) and love to find new artists that I've not heard before. And also spend quite a bit of money on going to concerts, which is a big advantage when living close to London, the opportunities are endless :)

My love for sports have died of in the last 10 years but I do try to go and see Saracens a few times a season in the rugby and also the rugby final at Twickenham, but recently music is my big passion.

I do also like traveling quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom