• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Soldato
They haven't sampled simply means they haven't tested one, not that the 3800X hasn't sampled (been made). Or am I inferring your post wrong?

Gibbo said the 3800X is shipped to them and will be arriving in a few days. There are also a few 3800X reviews from Japan on YouTube.
"Sampled" = sent to people for review. It'll be available to buy.

Soldato
They haven't sampled simply means they haven't tested one, not that the 3800X hasn't sampled (been made). Or am I inferring your post wrong?

Gibbo said the 3800X is shipped to them and will be arriving in a few days. There are also a few 3800X reviews from Japan on YouTube.

Yes, not been sampled to reviewers is all.

Level 1 - Wendell said he’s off to buy a 3800x to test. So hopefully soon

Associate
same i got 2 orders my 3900x amd whole new rig for my mate. But must be mental in warehouse :D First they needed to unload new stock book new stock in then start on backorders hehe
good to know, fingers crossed then. I get very grumpy if i order stuff in stock then find out after that the stock was no assigned to the order etc.

Soldato
Posted it a few pages back, but it's actually returning the boost behaviour back to what it originally was, the press release BIOSes had issues with correctly boosting the cores: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cacwf9/psa_ryzen_3000_gaming_performance_is_being_gimped/

yeah it looks the bios the press had was more passive, and these are back to ryzen 2000 aggression, but I also just noticed now as well they allowing higher peak clocks so not just the ramp up, so I wonder if this affects what da8eur reported.

Soldato
Have you seen them, what's the verdict. Is it worth going for 3800x for gaming instead of 3700x, more OC headroom?

For gaming I would say no it isn't, especially at higher resolutions. I went for the 3800X because I do content creation and the all core base boost clock is 300MHz higher.

Soldato
Thinking few months I will snap up a 3600 to replace my 1600 now the BIOS update for my pro4 is confirmed :)

Looks to be a good improvement, and for £188 or maybe less by then.....why not!

Associate
Spent a couple of hours in the past 24 trying to catch up with this thread and I’m after the same.

Is there any point upgrading from a decent 2700X/2080Ti combo for 4K/60, using my existing B-die 3200/CL14, or would I be better off just picking up another 2080Ti and going down the NVlink route instead?

Answers on a postcard please. :D
What resolution are you at? I'd be tempted to get another 2080TIi if at 1440 or above and if you're at 1080 then you wouldn't need one. Which games do you play?
For anything other than Cities Skylines/Arma 3/Big simulations/e-racing you'd see more benefit from another 2080ti assuming SLI is supported in the game.

Soldato
deffo glad I Didnt wait to upgrade my second machine.

Paid circa £170 and got free division 2 for my 2600x.
3600X same cores/threads, slight IPC/clock improvements, is £260 with no free game.

Permabanned
Quote from reddit:

My stock bios i was hitting 250+ fps in wow and when i updated bios i couldnt surpass 200 anymore. Also noticed after update my frequency max was 4.3 and hitting only 4.25. Defintly some real bios issues going on for some boards. Im on gigabyte and 3700x btw.

Associate
Have you seen them, what's the verdict. Is it worth going for 3800x for gaming instead of 3700x, more OC headroom?

Performed within 5 fps of the 3700x for the most part but the reviewer said there seemed to be something wrong with the 3800x as the cpu was down and the sensors weren't correctly recording it. He thought it might be an ES chip

Associate
Thinking few months I will snap up a 3600 to replace my 1600 now the BIOS update for my pro4 is confirmed :)

Looks to be a good improvement, and for £188 or maybe less by then.....why not!

Was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, but I've changed my mind and think I'll go either 3700X or 3800X (depending on reviews) and future proof myself a bit. I'd like to not have to upgrade for about another 3 years or so, and given how 8 core seems to be more and more mainstream (console development etc.) I wonder if the 6 cores may start lagging behind at some point.

Associate
Eh, the difference is mostly within the margin of error at high resolution, I wouldn't classify the difference as "wrecking" AMD.

GPU limited tests are irrelevant for CPU testing purposes. I knew my comment would incite some interesting conversation. Most reviews I'm seeing a stock 9900K is ~5-15% faster in gaming than the 3900X. Add in that my 9900KF is running at 5.3 GHz, we are talking 20+% performance increase over 3900X since it over-clocks so poorly. 20%+ in the CPU world is "Wrecking" to me in a component field that has stagnated for years.

You playing games at 640x480 resolutions?

Gamers are nuts. Any modern CPU is good enough for gaming.

Uh no. I play games like PUBG at 4K @ 144 Hz/FPS which is VERY demanding on both the CPU and GPU. Especially when you are trying to not drop below 144 FPS ever due to using a back-light strobing monitor. 20% CPU speed differential is substantial in my usage scenario.

Back
Top Bottom