• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/5
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-...echnical-matisse-not-really.html#post28029190

Read those two links.First is the MSI pre-launch BIOS screwing up the boost algorithm and the second is Asus making out of spec tweaks to their pre-launch BIOS which also affected the boost algorithm. Also this,but AMD should have tested it beforehand:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cacasv/very_interesting_writeup_of_an_issue_that_may/
Thanks just seen that and yes there's a hopeful positive note but as you say, it's something that should have happened 6 weeks ago and been specified in reviewers notes.
I really hope we'll see an uplift in performance when things get ironed out but Nvidia and Intel don't tend to launch new products in this haphazard way.

Associate
Your anti-AMD/pro-Intel posts are very wearing. I don't know if your Intel stock has taken a hit or something :confused:

This "10 core 3900X killer" you talk about - do you not think if they had it in them it would have been ready to go right about now instead of a better binned 9900k?

Intel's 10 core desktop enthusiast chip is unlikely to launch before Q2 '20. Maybe tail end of Q1.

However I'd bet that later Zen 2 chips' bins will be quite a bit better, prices will have fallen very significantly, 3950X will obviously be out, and Zen 3 will be about to launch.

I don't like Intel's chances against an EUV tock of a (heavily revised) Zen 2. IPC increase will probably be in the 5-8% range, power draw will be lower, and the combination of EUV and revised design may mean significantly higher clocks. Intel will still be on the next + of their 14nm++++++++ - it'll consume even more power and dissipate even more heat, and rely on even higher clocks and lower yields to 'compete'.

Also, there've been rumours about HT being disabled on the 10 cores. Both due to the insane heat dissipation & power draw, and security issues. This would literally be a pure gaming CPU with no other market, and likely much more expensive than similar AMD chips (Zen 3 iterations of which might well outperform it significantly).

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
With all due respect, I only really care about performance uplift from existing ryzen series (in my case a 1600x) I don't even take Intels CPU's into consideration because of all the security issues with them, I certainly wouldn't be buying one now if I was doing a new build or major upgrade, their chips are just riddled with security issues, with new ones seemingly found every few weeks.

I'd only consider Intel again, once they bring out a new architecture that will hopefully be fully hardware protected against the issues, until then the only choice for me will be AMD. I certainly don't mind losing out on some gaming fps knowing that my CPU isn't cutting corners with security.

OcUK Staff
Interesting. I had two posts deleted just for saying the figure I paid. With no reference as to where I purchased.
Mod told me -

So are we allowed to mention prices or not?

Competitor hinting is not allowed FULL STOP, clues at competitor names, prices purchased elsewhere its all hinting and not allowed.

Associate
Gibbo. I'm just about to press go on a 3700x & Crosshair vii x470.

What's the chance of getting posted today / tomorrow as it's a public holiday in NI on Friday and it takes two days to get here?

Associate
The newer Bios are the problem, the older Agesa 1002 bios are working ok for Boosts.

That's not true. The newer AGESA is far better, but Gigabyte appear to have failed at the implementation thus far.

AsRock and MSI there is major uplift.

No idea about ASUS (not many people seem to be going for their boards this time round). Biostar, as you would expect, still have the old initial BIOS (and they haven't sent any review samples yet) - they tend to make less iterative updates and release when they're happy with major revisions.

OcUK Staff

What's the chance of getting posted today / tomorrow as it's a public holiday in NI on Friday and it takes two days to get here?

As 3700X has still not arrived and time of day, looking incredibly unlikely I am afraid.

Associate

Unlikely

They seem to be ignoring questions regarding 3700x stock / delivery estimates etc.

Associate
As 3700X has still not arrived and time of day, looking incredibly unlikely I am afraid.
Could you please state whether the expected incoming stock will cover the existing pre-orders? If I pre-order one now, will it be from that shipment or will I be waiting for the next?

Soldato
That's not true. The newer AGESA is far better, but Gigabyte appear to have failed at the implementation thus far.

AsRock and MSI there is major uplift.

No idea about ASUS (not many people seem to be going for their boards this time round).

i've purchased a asus crosshair viii formula and 3900x once i get up and running i'll report back with what my chip can hit on that board

OcUK Staff
Could you please state whether the expected incoming stock will cover the existing pre-orders? If I pre-order one now, will it be from that shipment or will I be waiting for the next?

We have 400 ordered, we have sold less but the consignments are arriving split up which is not making life easy, for example one batch of 3900X was just 10pc, another batch was 200pc, so the order quantity more than covers pre-orders but what arrives on first batch is an unknown as the courier sometimes splits shipments.

Associate
Your anti-AMD/pro-Intel posts are very wearing. I don't know if your Intel stock has taken a hit or something :confused:

This "10 core 3900X killer" you talk about - do you not think if they had it in them it would have been ready to go right about now instead of a better binned 9900k?
I'm genuinely not pro Intel/anti AMD I ran 4870/4890 295x2 quadfire, 6990 Quadfire, 290 trifire (yes very hot and noisy) 5970/5870 trifire plus Athlon 64 Venice/Barton x2 etc so I've given AMD thousands of pounds of my own money.
They've always been very good at hardware and I've always tried to buy them for my own personal use. I was running 3Dfx Voodoo 2 SLI nearly 20 years ago (yes entirely irrelevant:)).
I've been a tech journalist and I dislike Intel's anti-competitive practises and Nvidia's viral marketing/shilling and the fact they've recently been taking the **** with prices. Zen 2 launch is overall good but unfortunately
Adored TV's videos and the general consensus that we'd see 4.5ghz routinely on Zen 2 before launch has built an unrealistic expectation. I don't mean to be annoying and I understand someone saying these things
about the Zen launch might grate a bit especially if you're emotionally attached to Zen 2 performance (as in you've already bought into the ecosystem) but it needs to be said.
AMD are back with a vengeance in the CPU space and it's an incredible achievement in the circumstances given their resources, finally we have competition again but I wish their Marketing/PR managed expectations better.

Last edited:
Associate
We have 400 ordered, we have sold less but the consignments are arriving split up which is not making life easy, for example one batch of 3900X was just 10pc, another batch was 200pc, so the order quantity more than covers pre-orders but what arrives on first batch is an unknown as the courier sometimes splits shipments.
Looks like I'll hold off then. I'm going to be elsewhere from Sunday so I can't take the risk that the delivery will go to an unoccupied address. A shame, was really looking forward to my first new upgrade since the 3570K :(

Back
Top Bottom